Blink cameras... connect to different WiFi hotspots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBoy
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2017

Blink cameras... connect to different WiFi hotspots?

I'm interested in the Blink system but my house is quite large and WiFi is somewhat a mess, a few different hotspots/SSID but all on the same router.

Does anyone know if it matters? Or since they're internet connected does it make no difference and they could be in totally different locations and still work?

Thanks
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Can't comment on Blink, but when I have installed Sonos systems that have had a mesh wifi system so same SSID etc. You do need to disable the 5GHz. Google's mesh and others only broadcast a single name on both bands so you never know which one you are connecting to so another reason to disable the 5GHz band.

Have you tried the Blink forums

There is this post about using extenders
    Last edited by toscal; 8 October 2020, 01:11 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MrBoy
      Automated Home Guru
      • May 2017

Originally posted by toscal View Post
      Can't comment on Blink, but when I have installed Sonos systems that have had a mesh wifi system so same SSID etc. You do need to disable the 5GHz. Google's mesh and others only broadcast a single name on both bands so you never know which one you are connecting to so another reason to disable the 5GHz band.

Have you tried the Blink forums

There is this post about using extenders
      Thanks I wasn't aware they had their own forum.
      A mesh Wifi in theory makes the problem go away, but like a lot of places mine is not that tidy I do actually use a mesh system in the house but I would probably need at least one external repeater and in my experience they work better if you just give a separate SSID than have non-mesh units with the same SSID.

I'd like to hope as long as everything can see each other across the network, it shouldn't matter - that's how proper network devices would behave, but many don't seem to

Comment

Working...
      X