Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome and electric underfloor

Automated Home Jr Member

Ok, I think you misunderstood what I meant. Shorting the probe could only ever turn it off (itís a passive probe).

This thermostat had no air sensor on it.

Another option is to replace it with a Neo stat (I have loads of these laying around).

These have 2 inputs, one for air and one for floor. I could leave the floor one as is and relay the air one through two resisters to simulate on/off temperatures.

On a side note tho, I just read that these electric underfloor only really take the chill out the floor and arenít that great at heating the room.

Is it really expensive to leave it set at 21 or 24 all day?

Automated Home Legend

Many have the air sensor built into the controller and then you chose which temperature sensor you want to use as your thermostat. My WarmUp 4 has a nice little display to show me how much energy is being used to heat up the floor, so I can then work out how much it costs. Electric UFH should almost always be used as secondary comfort heating, as you say to take the chill off the cold tiles.

Automated Home Legend

You sound like the handy type. Why not open one of the UFH thermostats and see how the relay in that is being switched on. Then all you need to do is use your BDR91 to switch the UFH's relay on, so it continues to take the load and your BDR91 is simply providing the contact free ON OFF signal.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    You sound like the handy type. Why not open one of the UFH thermostats and see how the relay in that is being switched on. Then all you need to do is use your BDR91 to switch the UFH's relay on, so it continues to take the load and your BDR91 is simply providing the contact free ON OFF signal.
    Thatís a good idea . Might do that.

I think my main aims are:

1) be able to control the UFH from evohome.
    2) be able to see somehow from the stat if evohome has turned it on or off
    3) be able to override evohome if from the stat.

The only way I can see to do this is to setup a fake air probe. With the bdr91 on, it switches the relay to a resister which registers as 20 degrees, with the bdr91 off it switches to 30 degrees.

Leave the stat set to 25 degrees and now evohome controls it. Set it to below 20 and it overrides to on, set it above 30 and it overrides to off.

Thatís not very intuitive tho! So now Iím thinking to not bother and just setup some timers on the underfloor and just control the bathroom rad and be done with it.

Automated Home Legend

There is another way. Something I use. If you buy a Smart UFH controller like the Warmup 4ei that I use. You can use an automation platform to keep the bathroom zone running on Evohome in sync with the UFH zone in that room.

Automated Home Jr Member

Do these things have an API? Iím a embedded software engineer so coding something isnít a problem.

I hadnít thought of that though, I could sync the bathroom rad on evohome and another manufacturerís smart thermostat using the platform. Would prefer not having to go via the cloud though.

Automated Home Jr Member

Aha!

https://evohome-client.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

https://github.com/lkollar/pywarmup

I could code something on a pi, or my NAS to keep them in sync I guess. I wonder how to handle override tho.

Ever get the feeling youíre over complicating something...