Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BDR91 green LED on with no demand

Automated Home Jr Member

Default BDR91 green LED on with no demand

I have recently installed a Evohome system controlling central heating only and i have had some problems with it, which i am slowly ironing out, but there is is one i cant seem to resolve. The green LED on the BDR91 boiler relay is nearly always on even when nothing is calling for heat. I first thought that it was the BDR91 that was faulty so i swapped it for another that came with a room thermostat which i bought just incase. I done the rquired binding procedure with it but it has the same problem as the one it replaced. If i press the button on the BDR91 the LED extinguishes but comes back on within 10 minutes. Does anyone know why this is happening and how i can fix it.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Me-again View Post
    I have recently installed a Evohome system controlling central heating only and i have had some problems with it, which i am slowly ironing out, but there is is one i cant seem to resolve. The green LED on the BDR91 boiler relay is nearly always on even when nothing is calling for heat. I first thought that it was the BDR91 that was faulty so i swapped it for another that came with a room thermostat which i bought just incase. I done the rquired binding procedure with it but it has the same problem as the one it replaced. If i press the button on the BDR91 the LED extinguishes but comes back on within 10 minutes. Does anyone know why this is happening and how i can fix it.
    You need to check the demand that the controller is making to the boiler. Long press on settings (5 seconds), and then look at system status. This will tell you the heating demand, and the heat requested from each device. So if the boiler says 100% it will be on all the time, 50%, half the time (assuming you don't have opentherm). As I understand, in a default configuration, that 50% is over a 10 minute cycle.

So in your situation, the boiler is being told to fire, you cancel that (by pushing the button). But then the next 10 minute cycle begins, so it turns the boiler on again.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks lloyd, when i go into settings as you described, i dont have (system status). What i have begining with system is, System devices, pressing on that it shows "Boiler control wireless relay box". Then there is System parameters and finally System summary which just lists the rad valves but nothing that can be selected.

The way the system is set up now is no heat being asked for from any rad valve after 1am untill 5pm-ish and all rad valves set to 10c during the off period. So i cant see why the BDR91 LED is lit during the off period.

Automated Home Guru

Are you sure you kept Settings pressed for a long time?

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes, pressed it till the box popped up asking if i wanted to do this. Pressed the green tick, screen that opens contains rf-comms, Factory reset etc. I am wondering if a firmware update may give me more options. I tried to sign upto the honeywell app assuming that will be the route to the update but i am not getting the confirmation email so cant login. I have contacted them about this problem and just waiting for them to get back to me.

Automated Home Legend

Any photo of this Settings screen?

Automated Home Legend

Yes, pressed it till the box popped up asking if i wanted to do this. Pressed the green tick, screen that opens contains rf-comms, Factory reset etc. I am wondering if a firmware update may give me more options. I tried to sign upto the honeywell app assuming that will be the route to the update but i am not getting the confirmation email so cant login. I have contacted them about this problem and just waiting for them to get back to me.
    The heat demands are shown in the "System Summary" page inside the installer menu. So just do a long press on Settings, then go to System Summary. If you don't have any percentages on this page and just a list of devices then your firmware is out of date as even the latest stable public version (older than the current beta versions) had the heat demand display.

The device should automatically update itself to the latest stable public version with the heat demand display without any action on your part, but before it can do so it has to be connected on WiFi and registered to a total connect comfort account for remote control, so you need to get your TCC account sorted out and add the device to it then it should update the firmware automatically.

If it doesn't I'd contact Honeywell by email and ask them to manually push a firmware update to the device for you.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 17th October 2020 at 03:42 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

I have now got the honeywell app sorted and my firmware has been updated from 2.0.011 to 2.0.017 (sorry bruce_miranda cant do the pic you requested now). I got to the page showing the six zones i have and the flame icon and i have the following:

zone 1 = 98% , zone 2 = 98% , zone 3 = 0% , zone 4 = 98% , zone 5 = 100% , zone 6 = 93%. All zones are currently set to off with a temp of 10c selected in the schedule of each one, so i cant understand how they can be calling for heat if thats what the percent figure indicates.

Automated Home Legend

That seems to suggest that even just to keep the zones at the 10C off position, it needs heat. Try turning your OFF down to 5C and see if there is still a heat demand

Automated Home Legend

I have now got the honeywell app sorted and my firmware has been updated from 2.0.011 to 2.0.017 (sorry bruce_miranda cant do the pic you requested now). I got to the page showing the six zones i have and the flame icon and i have the following:

zone 1 = 98% , zone 2 = 98% , zone 3 = 0% , zone 4 = 98% , zone 5 = 100% , zone 6 = 93%. All zones are currently set to off with a temp of 10c selected in the schedule of each one, so i cant understand how they can be calling for heat if thats what the percent figure indicates.
    What are the measured temperatures relative to the set point ? If the measured temperature is more than 1.5C above the set point a zone won't call for heat.

What type of zones do you have ? Are they all HR92's ? If so, make sure you are closing the locking latch at the base after you fit them. If you don't the correct heat demand will not be sent.

I would be inclined to remove and refit each HR92 - before re-fitting each one turn the black wheel by hand fully anti-clockwise, slide the HR92 down onto the base and then slide the locking latch across. After about one minute it should say CYCL and you should hear the motor calibrating the valve pin position. A while after that you should see a change to the heat demand on the system summary page.

Do you have any wall temperature sensors or are you using the built in sensor in the HR92's ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 18th October 2020 at 03:57 PM.