Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas meter monitoring

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jemster View Post
    Nope, nothing yet. I was sure I had a mail saying mid-November was cut-off date for the old system but it’s still working and I can’t locate the mail. Interesting you’ve had mails so late as my offer was in mid-October. I didn’t bother. Electricity monitoring is 10-a-penny and, as you say, the new app is pretty limited. Also specifically not covering NI or facilitating setting up your own tariffs last time I looked.

Such a pity there’s no easy way of reverse engineering the hardware as it functions great for what I need and it will be sorely missed.
    Yes I'm still really annoyed as well.

The offer for a free upgrade to the new electricity monitor ends on the 7th, I just completed mine and it has shipped - I just had to pay £3 postage.

For the price of postage while I look around for alternatives I might as well as I'll still be able to monitor electricity use, and I'll at least be able to import my historical use into it as well.

I wonder if its worth trying to set up wireshark to sniff the traffic generated by the main receiver unit before the switch off day to see how it communicates with the mothership ? I suspect its all TLS encrypted though so we probably can't learn much from wireshark.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Yes I'm still really annoyed as well.

The offer for a free upgrade to the new electricity monitor ends on the 7th, I just completed mine and it has shipped - I just had to pay £3 postage.

For the price of postage while I look around for alternatives I might as well as I'll still be able to monitor electricity use, and I'll at least be able to import my historical use into it as well.

I wonder if its worth trying to set up wireshark to sniff the traffic generated by the main receiver unit before the switch off day to see how it communicates with the mothership ? I suspect its all TLS encrypted though so we probably can't learn much from wireshark.
    I suppose it’s worth a shot, but whenever I got my setup, I bought it secondhand. The seller hadn’t unregistered the original account and I actually had to send the hardware back to Loop for reprogramming. That made me think the encryption keys are stored in individual firmware with no ability to flash over Ethernet. Just makes me think the solution is too secure to sniff it out easily.

Automated Home Guru

I've had the same problem, of the Loop gas monitor being discontinued. I have just ordered a Smappee gas monitor. Although Smappee is more geared up for professional installers, if you have the legacy electricity monitor (and hence have a login to the dashboard) you can click "Get Smappee" on that dashboard and order a gas monitor. The transaction is a bit hard work, involving an IBAN payment to their Belgian bank account. But at least it was billed in £ sterling. I'll post an update once it arrives and I get it installed.

The installation manual shows how it works.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
    I've had the same problem, of the Loop gas monitor being discontinued. I have just ordered a Smappee gas monitor. Although Smappee is more geared up for professional installers, if you have the legacy electricity monitor (and hence have a login to the dashboard) you can click "Get Smappee" on that dashboard and order a gas monitor. The transaction is a bit hard work, involving an IBAN payment to their Belgian bank account. But at least it was billed in £ sterling. I'll post an update once it arrives and I get it installed.

The installation manual shows how it works.
    Please keep us informed. Although I have the new Loop electricity monitor on the way I'd happily jump ship to a system that provides integrated gas and electricity monitoring.

I'm not sure what you mean by "legacy electricity monitor" - are you talking about a Smappee product that is no longer available?

For someone who doesn't have any Smappee products or account, what would be required to get both gas and electricity monitoring ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 5th December 2020 at 07:24 PM.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "legacy electricity monitor" - are you talking about a Smappee product that is no longer available?

For someone who doesn't have any Smappee products or account, what would be required to get both gas and electricity monitoring ?
    Yes. I bought this Smappee Energy monitor in December 2017. It is no longer available. I am trusting that my Gas & Water Monitor, when it arrives, will connect to the legacy Energy Monitor.

New customers will have to configure their own systems, selecting from the menu of components that are available as Smappee Infinity. In some ways, that looks to be better as it offers much more flexibility. I like the idea of a hub for 4 Current Transformers (CTs). I have a large house with four separate distribution boards fed from my main incoming supply and I would like to monitor the four supplies independently. So I might consider upgrading anyway.

Smappee appears to be avoiding end-user customers, and focussing on installers. However, from my existing user dashboard, I have access to the "Get Smappee" form, which (I hope) will work for anyone with that hyperlink. That will require you to complete the form to get a quote. For me, they came back fairly quickly with a price in sterling. Initially they had added a £25 fee because my invoice was less than £180 (€200). Surprisingly, they then withdrew that fee "as this only applies to companies". (Implying that they don't refuse to deal with individual end users.) As I wrote above, payment has to be to their Belgian bank account, which is a bit of a faff but, from my bank at least, there is no fee as the transaction is in sterling.

I see that that form is only for accessories, including the gas monitor. There is a note at the foot of the form "Yes, I know that these products only work with a Smappee Infinity setup including a Genius as gateway and with Smappee legacy monitors (Smappee Energy, Solar, Plus and Pro)." You could try requesting a quote for the Gas Monitor and then, once you establish email contact with the quote, explain that you are technically competent, and would like to buy the base Gateway units as well. My (limited) experience is that they are quite friendly and helpful, so it could be worth a shot.
    Last edited by Edinburgh2000; 20th December 2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Corrected "Gas & Electricity" to "Gas & Water", to quote the product name accurately.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I'm using the Smappee gas monitor with the old school (pulsing green LEDs) Smappee energy monitor. All works fine.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Sounds awfully complicated and a bit of a punt at that price for something that might or might not work. Why do these companies make it so difficult.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

It works fine, and you can pick up the legacy electricity monitors on eBay.

I might even have a spare one here, somewhere...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    It works fine, and you can pick up the legacy electricity monitors on eBay.

I might even have a spare one here, somewhere...
    I'm just a bit worried about relying on a piece of kit that is no longer readily available to buy should it break - just been through that with loop where they stopped making the gas monitor more than a year ago!

Automated Home Legend

My new free Loop electricity monitor arrived a few days ago but I haven't had time to set it up yet - I want to try to export all my usage data first as there is apparently some migration process to migrate from the old monitor system to the new one.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 11th December 2020 at 10:22 AM.