Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gas meter monitoring

Automated Home Jr Member

I tried to re-enable and went to login - it says only system admins can now access.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davidj View Post
    I tried to re-enable and went to login - it says only system admins can now access.
    Yeah. It’s gone. Mine stopped working today.

Reluctant to throw it in the recycling, but doubt prodding it is going to reveal anything usable.

Automated Home Legend

Did anyone come up with an easy solution to this?

I don't have any energy monitoring currently and would like to invest in one rather than go down the smart meter route.

Automated Home Jr Member

Just seen this https://saveometer.com/pages/Gas-Suitability. from a company called Saveometer. Anyone got any experience?

Automated Home Lurker

I have built a Gas Meter measurement device based on the ZWave Fibaro Universal sensor (old Style). It has been running successfully for over 2 years. It is fitted on a conventional revolving wheel type meter.

The circuity is simple and uses the OPB732WZ Opto Switch connected on IN1. A suitable 1W (at least) current limiting resistor (value depends on voltage used) is used to power the LED.

As the wheel relvolves and zero passes under the device, light from the led is reflected by the silver portion of the wheel onto the LDR connected to IN1. Vera can be configured to detect the change.

Software is installed on Vera to detect changes in the state of IN1 and some simple calculations will determine how much gas is used.

Installation is a little fiddly. To set it up, run the gas until zero is showing on the right hand wheel. You will need a voltmeter which needs to be connected between IN1 and ground. Place the opto device over the wheel and move it around, you need to find the place where the voltage is as low as you can get it, in my case that is around 0.3v. Then use bluetac to hold the device in place.

Automated Home Lurker

I'm also interested in completing a gas and electricity monitoring solution. Something that isn't centralised would be the most ideal given the Loop situation.

I've taken a look at the Smappee stuff, it seems that the legacy electric monitor isn't available from what I can see and would potentially mean that I'd have two different hardware suppliers/devices to manage. I can't find any Fludia suppliers so that's a no go there either.

The Saveometer seems like an all in one solution, meeting my pre-reqs of not being centralised and an all in one solution, albeit it is ugly at best and would rather have the data fed into something else than the display so I have been looking at the spec sheet and it communicates over 868Mhz.

Does anyone know what would be involved in grabbing the data sent from the transmitter to the display? I'm assuming at the very least you'd need a nanoCUL or similar.