Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas meter monitoring

Automated Home Guru

Default Gas meter monitoring

Has anybody got any suggestions for a device for monitoring gas usage?

We’ve been happily using the Loop Energy Saver for the past couple of years, the gas component sticks on to the meter front panel and monitors the dial rotations. It’s been excellent for showing us the impact of various things (e.g. working from home) on our gas bill.

Problem is, they’ve decided to discontinue it, and although they are offering electric monitor users an upgrade path, they aren’t supporting the gas portion going forwards. Remind me NEVER to buy a device that requires an external server to get data from my front door to my computer...

I can’t find any alternative anywhere. Any ideas?

Automated Home Guru

Wow. I do seem to have hit on a unique problem. 200+ views and no suggestions.

Does everybody with gas have a smart meter these days? I don’t believe it’s possible to get one in N.Ireland unfortunately.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me... if it’s not a problem isolated to N.I.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I use Smappee for monitoring my gas meter. But the gas monitor only works in conjunction with the electricity monitor.

Also, they seems to be going more upmarket, with installer based products, and not focusing on the end user market so much.

A quick Google came up with these
    Saveometer
    Fludia
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Guru

Grrr. Had a complete response to all of these typed up, submitted and the forum told me I had a missing token. Lost it.

Ok, so in summary...
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Saveometer is no good as it’s got no ability to get readings off the unit (and only updates at best once an hour and only 100cu/ft of gas at a time according to Amazon reviews
    Fludia would be interesting except it looks like part of a system I know nothing about and don’t want to get into interface boards and LoRa and writing custom software
    Smappee looks the most likely but the idea of installers (of which there are none in NI who actually seem to mention it on their website) doesn’t sound economically viable.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll keep looking I guess.

Automated Home Legend

You could consider getting a smart meter. Octopus produces detailed usage graphs:D83AD2A2-8BAB-41E1-92EF-954EB9286087.jpg

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    You could consider getting a smart meter. Octopus produces detailed usage graphs:D83AD2A2-8BAB-41E1-92EF-954EB9286087.jpg
    There ain't no Smart Meters in Northern Ireland... as far as I can tell.

The Govt. scheme to get everybody upgraded to Smart Meters didn't extend as far as N.I. so none of our suppliers use or install them.

This is more a roll your own type device. . I think it uses an Arduino.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Legend

So I've just received the email notification from loop today.

The "legacy" version of loop is being switched off on the 19th of December and while they'll send out one of their new electricity monitors for free to existing customers that means no gas monitoring. (Also I've looked at the new app which has been compatible with the legacy electricity monitor for a while, and it's not very good and doesn't give me the detailed graphs of the old system)

One month's notice to look for something else isn't great in my opinion! Hopefully there is a way to download my historical usage data before it is switched off...

So I take it from the above that nobody has really found a good alternative yet ?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    So I've just received the email notification from loop today.

The "legacy" version of loop is being switched off on the 19th of December and while they'll send out one of their new electricity monitors for free to existing customers that means no gas monitoring. (Also I've looked at the new app which has been compatible with the legacy electricity monitor for a while, and it's not very good and doesn't give me the detailed graphs of the old system)

One month's notice to look for something else isn't great in my opinion! Hopefully there is a way to download my historical usage data before it is switched off...

So I take it from the above that nobody has really found a good alternative yet ?
    Nope, nothing yet. I was sure I had a mail saying mid-November was cut-off date for the old system but it’s still working and I can’t locate the mail. Interesting you’ve had mails so late as my offer was in mid-October. I didn’t bother. Electricity monitoring is 10-a-penny and, as you say, the new app is pretty limited. Also specifically not covering NI or facilitating setting up your own tariffs last time I looked.

Such a pity there’s no easy way of reverse engineering the hardware as it functions great for what I need and it will be sorely missed.