• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salimi
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2005

Getting Started

Hi i am getting to grips with an x10 system and i need a few pointers.

I know what i want but if someone can help me thats brilliant.

im ordering all my stuff from lets automate.

I am wanting to control the lighting on 2floors of my house.

so i need 2 x TM13U ( house code a and house code b)

5 pack of MS13 RF PIR Movement Sensors.

2 x HR10 RF 8 Rocker switch (remote)

X10 Freetime Kit with mini timer.

pack of 5 LW10U Light Switchs

SS13 RF 3 Button Light Switch.

But i have a problem. I have to control 2 switch light. Do i buy a 2 switch x10 switch with seperate adresses for each light or do i need something like a LD11 DIN mounted lamp module.

Will all the stuff on the list work allright?

Cheers i really need help with this much apprciated.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Getting Started

Check which TM13U you get as mine accepts all house codes if you select P house code.
    Be very carefull with the freetime kit as the mini timer does not come with any warranty, so they might be selling off returned items.
    The freetime kit only has two plugin type modules, a lighting module (won't work on energy savingy /compact flourescent bulbs) and an appliance module. The difference is that the lighting module has dimming capabilities and the appliance module can only be on or off.
    The x10 system has 16 addresses per letter and 16 letters so you can have a total of 256 modules.
    If you could give us a little more detail of exactly what you want to do then we could give you better advice.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• salimi
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2005

Well this is the what i want to do. I want to be able to turn on and off all the lights by remote and lights should come on with a motion sensor.

On the 3rd floor i need to automate all of the lights. Pretty much cos the light for the stairs is downstairs and there isnt one at the top of the stairs.

I have found out about the 2 switch lights. 1 is for my balcony and 1 is for my room. I will also have motion sensors so i dont need to manully turn on or off the lights.

i want to automate the lights in the hall also.

I wanted the minitimer as it controlls lights and appliances right next to your bed. with a timer.

also 1 other question. lets say the lights are on manually and the motion sensor detects motion will they turn off?

Cheers i really do apprciate the help

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Answer to your question "the lights are on manually and the motion sensor detects motion will they turn off? " Yes. You need two way switches and a controller such as Homevision, Ocelot or if you go for a PC based system then Homeseer is quite good.
        The two way switch sends out its status. So if you turn it on it also sends out its house code and that its on. This catches a few people out.
        Another way round this is to place the motion sensor near the light. Set the motion sensor to trigger only when its dark, so when you turn the light on manually, it won´t then trigger the motion sensor. This method isn't 100% reliable.
        I recommend starting off small. Say do part of the whole project get it working reliably then add to this. That way if you have problems its easier to solve.
        I started off with a basic kit with a PC interface and now have most of my lights under X10 control.
        I now use a Homevision controller, which is excellent. I did use Homeseer but my PC had a habit of crashing once a week so felt a non PC based system was better and more reliable. I did try the Ocelot controller but found the ladder logic programming language a bit of a pain and not very user friendly. My Ocelot now controls a friend´s security lighting system in his house.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• salimi
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2005

Cheers Toscal your a huge help

Comment

Working...
          X