Thread: A daft mistake ...

Automated Home Jr Member

Default A daft mistake ...

Hi
    This says more about me than any deficiency in the Evo system but I'm posting just to save any other potential headscratching. I was changing the batteries in an HR92 and following the instructions to turn the black plastic wheel inside the valve before dropping and locking the head back on. As I rotated the plastic wheel anticlockwise I must have exceeded the stop and it came off the valve body. Not a problem in itself but the axis of the body is not quite vertical so I duely placed it on and turned it clockwise to attach then turned it back again. The head sat on the wheel pin and properly cycled but of course the radiator couldn't properly shut off because of the skewed contact. Luckily there was no permanent damage but a slight cross thread caused a temporary problem. Regular members here will scoff but I also know I bought into the system after reading many posts on here and I guess new users are coming through all the time.

Automated Home Legend

That's the first time I've heard of someone unscrewing the black wheel past the limit stop but given how flimsy it is I would expect it to be more common. Perhaps others have done it but not admitted to it in public.

Automated Home Ninja

I’ve broken a couple before. You can buy replacements.

https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywe...R92&results=27

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BuxtonJim View Post
    Hi
    This says more about me than any deficiency in the Evo system but I'm posting just to save any other potential headscratching. I was changing the batteries in an HR92 and following the instructions to turn the black plastic wheel inside the valve before dropping and locking the head back on. As I rotated the plastic wheel anticlockwise I must have exceeded the stop and it came off the valve body. Not a problem in itself but the axis of the body is not quite vertical so I duely placed it on and turned it clockwise to attach then turned it back again. The head sat on the wheel pin and properly cycled but of course the radiator couldn't properly shut off because of the skewed contact. Luckily there was no permanent damage but a slight cross thread caused a temporary problem. Regular members here will scoff but I also know I bought into the system after reading many posts on here and I guess new users are coming through all the time.
    Thank you. Never had the problem in 6 years but at least forewarned is forearmed.

Automated Home Jr Member

Given that the sum total I've learnt about Evo has come from you and others on this forum, anything even trivial I can offer may just be of a little help to someone else in future. The few hitches I've had have all been sorted by searching on this forum and I'm really grateful for the tremendous insights offered and time so freely given.

Automated Home Guru

In an absent-minded moment I broke the stop tab on one of mine too but, fortunately, it's fairly easy to set the wheel to the correct initial position by inspection.
    A couple of suppliers have the replacement part available for around £7 but they charge about the same for p&p and that's rather OTT for a small, lightweight, item.

Automated Home Ninja

You could also try start a thread asking if anyone has these as obsolete items. Apparently the new HR92WE kits ship with both the M28 and M30 adapter, probably because they got sick of people complaining that they had to back-order the ACH28 for the often mounted Comap valves here.

NB Do note that the link provided by Kevin (that I could only open using a Tor browser) only lists the M28 adapter and I myself have in fact thus far been unable to find any equivalent M30 thread product. Shame I didn't know that when I sold of mine - I could have asked a lot more money for them...