Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black or dark coloured HR92?

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi all I'm not the OP but moved into a new place with cast iron rads in Anthracite Grey so decided to paint my HR92 as they didn't look too great in bright white against the grey. The rads are powder coated in gloss RAL7016 so I bought a spray can of the same colour. I removed the top knob and the bottom wheel, masked the display off and rubbed the casing down with 1200 grit wet and dry.
    A couple of coats left me with the following, I'm very pleased how it came out:

Looks much better than white. I found that even when unpainted the internal temperature sensor doesn't work very well on cast iron rads as there is too much influence from the direct heat of the radiator, so am using an external sensor to get a sensible temperature reading. I haven't yet compared painted vs unpainted as per the previous discussion in the thread, but will try it out and see what the results are, even though an external sensor is the only real option anyway.
    Last edited by benwillcox; 15th March 2021 at 06:02 PM.

Automated Home Legend

That looks fantastic, if you ask me. And if you are using an external sensor then there is no issue either.

Automated Home Legend

Looks good but also looks like a lot of work!

Lets hope you don't need to do a warranty claim on that HR92 - I think the reseller would not be amused...

Automated Home Legend

Darth Vada?!

Neat job.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks all, @dbmandrake actually it was hardly any work at all, I'd say it took about 30 mins not including drying time of course! I actually did just one first as a test to see what the finish was like and to make sure it didn't affect any functionality, and when I was happy with that I did another 5 and sprayed them all up at the same time.

I also did a test to compare painted and un-painted following the previous discussion, and can confirm the colour makes no difference to the temperature measurement (I used both HR92 units configured with internal sensor for this test):