• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huntajc
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2017

Black or dark coloured HR92?

I have a couple of anthracite radiators against dark panelled walls. The white HR92 sticks out like a sore thumb.

Has anyone come up with a more eye-pleasing solution? I'm assuming spraying them is not a good idea!
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Spraying a HR80 is probably OK because it has a vent for the sensor. And HR92 might not be too happy being coated with paint.

Comment

• benwillcox
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2020

I have been wondering the same thing as although I've recently fitted an Evohome system with HR92 to all radiators which is fine, but we will soon be moving to a period property with cast iron rads in a powder coated green colour. I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't be painted, but I think I would want to strip them down and properly rub down, primer and paint the components before reassembly rather than just blasting the complete unit with a spray can. The HR91 probably would be a bit easier although personally I prefer the HR92 with the display.
      But don't know how possible or practical this is, probably get a bit tedious let alone voiding the warranties!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

If you use a remote temperature sensor then I see no reason why not.

Comment

• huntajc
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          The man's a genius! I'll look into that, thank you.

Comment

• benwillcox
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
            Why would the internal temperature sensor no longer be suitable? The colour of the casing only matters in terms of solar gain surely, which I would think would be insignificant compared to the ambient temperature of the room.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Think of the coat of paint as a jacket.

Comment

• benwillcox
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2020

I very much doubt a layer of paint will have any significant insulation properties.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by benwillcox View Post
                  I have been wondering the same thing as although I've recently fitted an Evohome system with HR92 to all radiators which is fine, but we will soon be moving to a period property with cast iron rads in a powder coated green colour. I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't be painted, but I think I would want to strip them down and properly rub down, primer and paint the components before reassembly rather than just blasting the complete unit with a spray can. The HR91 probably would be a bit easier although personally I prefer the HR92 with the display.
                  But don't know how possible or practical this is, probably get a bit tedious let alone voiding the warranties!
                  Having stripped down an HR92 twice to repair it (from toddler damage) I would not recommend stripping them down just to paint them. It relies on a series of very flimsy plastic interlock clips to hold it together and it is VERY easy to snap one of them. Even though I was careful and have a lot of experience repairing electronics I still managed to break one of the tabs during disassembly (partly because it's hard to know where they are until it's already apart) and ended up having to use glue during the reassembly. They're not built with disassembly in mind.

You're probably better off doing something masking off items like the screen and using spray paint if you really insist on painting them.
                  Last edited by DBMandrake; 5 November 2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by benwillcox View Post
                    Why would the internal temperature sensor no longer be suitable? The colour of the casing only matters in terms of solar gain surely, which I would think would be insignificant compared to the ambient temperature of the room.
                    You'll get "solar gain" from dark paint from the infrared radiation directly from the radiator as well. Heat directly from the radiator to the HR92 is already quite a big factor in causing a temperature offset when they are white.

Also I don't know whether the radiators you're talking about have convector fins or not - if they don't then that tends to exaggerate the localised heating effects of the HR92, in short, sensing the room temperature from an HR92 is even more inaccurate with radiators which don't convect well as they don't draw enough cold air across the floor to the sensor and rely more on direct infrared radiation to heat the room.

With that type of radiator I would be wanting to use a remote sensor regardless of painting the HR92 black or not. YMMV.

Comment

• benwillcox
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      Having stripped down an HR92 twice to repair it (from toddler damage) I would not recommend stripping them down just to paint them. It relies on a series of very flimsy plastic interlock clips to hold it together and it is VERY easy to snap one of them. Even though I was careful and have a lot of experience repairing electronics I still managed to break one of the tabs during disassembly (partly because it's hard to know where they are until it's already apart) and ended up having to use glue during the reassembly. They're not built with disassembly in mind.
                      Thanks, I did briefly look at the practicality of opening one to change the orientation of the screen and then soon gave up when it seemed like I wouldn't be able to easily do it without breaking something. It would be hard to get a good finish with the painting in certain points like the hinged display though, although it it was fixed in position with the little angle adapter it could be less of an issue.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

The HR80 are super in that respect. Can be disassembled with relative ease and easy to put back too. Plus because they have the vents for the sensors, in theory, less affected by the case design and colour.

Comment

• GreenGuy
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jun 2018

If you use a remote temperature sensor you could paint a protection cover internally. The part number is AVS90. see https://ensupport.getconnected.honey...language=en_US
                          Last edited by GreenGuy; 5 November 2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

It may not look as nice but would not black insulating tape do the job? Carefully affixed it may not be noticed by most people.

Comment

• benwillcox
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Apr 2020

Shame there's not some sort of silicone cover available that could be fitted over the units. I wonder if PlastiDip https://www.plastidip.co.uk/ could be a good option, you can just peel it off again if you want to change the colour later or go back to plain white.

Comment

Working...
                              X