• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by benwillcox View Post
    Shame there's not some sort of silicone cover available that could be fitted over the units. I wonder if PlastiDip https://www.plastidip.co.uk/ could be a good option, you can just peel it off again if you want to change the colour later or go back to plain white.
    That has given me a thought. There is a silicon or plastic substance you can get that is used to change your car colour. I believe it peels off. I know that taxi owners, whose car may not be the right colour to obtain a hackney licence, use it to ensure compliance.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by benwillcox View Post
      Shame there's not some sort of silicone cover available that could be fitted over the units. I wonder if PlastiDip https://www.plastidip.co.uk/ could be a good option, you can just peel it off again if you want to change the colour later or go back to plain white.
      A silicone skin is definitely going to act as additional insulation that would slow the response of the temperature sensor so even if there was a skin that fitted it I would not go down this route without using an external temperature sensor.

Comment

• benwillcox
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
        There is a silicon or plastic substance you can get that is used to change your car colour. I believe it peels off. I know that taxi owners, whose car may not be the right colour to obtain a hackney licence, use it to ensure compliance.
        That's the PlastiDip I was referring to. EDIT: or maybe vinyl wrap? I agree with DBMandrake that a silicon type cover is going to start having some noticeable insulation properties, so an external temperature sensor probably would be best in that scenario. But the plastidip might not have as much of an effect as it would be a thinner coating.
        Do we know whether the HR91 coupled with an external sensor can replicate all the functionality of the HR92, ie actual/set temperature display and local control of the zone? As the HR91 would be easier to cover, not having to deal with masking round a display and the control wheel and so might be an easier (if more expensive) option all round.

Comment

• GreenGuy
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by GreenGuy View Post
          If you use a remote temperature sensor you could paint a protection cover internally. The part number is AVS90. see https://ensupport.getconnected.honey...language=en_US

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by GreenGuy View Post
            If you use a remote temperature sensor you could paint a protection cover internally. The part number is AVS90. [/URL]
            The AVS90 always reminds me of a Doctor Who Cyberman.

Comment

• benwillcox
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2020

Hi all I'm not the OP but moved into a new place with cast iron rads in Anthracite Grey so decided to paint my HR92 as they didn't look too great in bright white against the grey. The rads are powder coated in gloss RAL7016 so I bought a spray can of the same colour. I removed the top knob and the bottom wheel, masked the display off and rubbed the casing down with 1200 grit wet and dry.
              A couple of coats left me with the following, I'm very pleased how it came out:

Looks much better than white. I found that even when unpainted the internal temperature sensor doesn't work very well on cast iron rads as there is too much influence from the direct heat of the radiator, so am using an external sensor to get a sensible temperature reading. I haven't yet compared painted vs unpainted as per the previous discussion in the thread, but will try it out and see what the results are, even though an external sensor is the only real option anyway.
              Last edited by benwillcox; 15 March 2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

That looks fantastic, if you ask me. And if you are using an external sensor then there is no issue either.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Looks good but also looks like a lot of work!

Lets hope you don't need to do a warranty claim on that HR92 - I think the reseller would not be amused...

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Darth Vada?!

Neat job.

Comment

• benwillcox
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2020

Thanks all, @dbmandrake actually it was hardly any work at all, I'd say it took about 30 mins not including drying time of course! I actually did just one first as a test to see what the finish was like and to make sure it didn't affect any functionality, and when I was happy with that I did another 5 and sprayed them all up at the same time.

I also did a test to compare painted and un-painted following the previous discussion, and can confirm the colour makes no difference to the temperature measurement (I used both HR92 units configured with internal sensor for this test):

Comment

Working...
                      X