• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Treadstone
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2020

New to Evohome and dissapointed

I am new to Evohome and can not get my head round such poor temperature control. It is configured as a single zone controlling only the boiler and the overshoot is just crazy and it then continues to demand more overshoot !. My current Stat controls within <.5 0C with no overshoot and no undershoot if that makes sense. I am clearly not alone here and I suspect there are many Evohome customers either too hot or shivering. The concept of Evohome looks great but the most basic part of thermostat performance is missing. I have read many posts on the subject and this poor performance appears to be accepted by some customers who accept poor thermostat performance in order to gain the the wider functionality of the system however I would rather live in a comfortable temperature. I have now reverted to a proper thermostat and the Evohome is boxed up and ready to go. If anyone is aware of an upcoming Firmware version that resolves such basic issues I think it needs to be shared.
    Last edited by Treadstone; 1 November 2020, 10:26 AM.
  • Woody
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Sorry to hear.

My experience is that overshoots disappear within 2-3 days after which temperature control in all zones is spot-on. So no, poor temperature control is not one of the peeves I have with the Evohome system.

YMMV

Comment

• mtmcgavock
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2017

The system takes up to 3 weeks to learn. Leave it alone and let it learn your system.

Have you got HR92s or just set up as a Single Zone?

My system is to the degree - no issues here.

Comment

• mikey8156
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2011

Evohome Overshoot

If you can not live with the overshoot for a few days just reduce the set temperature until it learns.

Comment

• Treadstone
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
          The system takes up to 3 weeks to learn. Leave it alone and let it learn your system.

Have you got HR92s or just set up as a Single Zone?

My system is to the degree - no issues here.
          Thanks for your input, it was a single zone only, no HR92s. I gave it 4 weeks before before giving up and reverting to my previous stat that restored family harmony. While I appreciate this system works for many it fell way below my expectations. The overshoot followed by even more demand for overshoot is the killer for me. I undersatnd the reason for continued demand after set point is reached but it is not needed in my application. Perhaps some further menu options to customize this behaviour would tame the overshoot. Of course turning down the setpoint would reduce overshoot but then everyone is cold !.

Other than the systems inabilty to create and maintain a steady temperature it succeeds in many respects but that failing has made it just a rather nice internet accessable timer for me.

Its great that the majority of folk enjoy the system and in time and a few firmware revisions maybe it could work for me, but for now sadly no.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

I have said it before, but I am six years in with the system and cannot complain. The best advice is usually that having set up and configured your system, leave it alone, resist the urge to play with it. The only aspect I have found did not work is optimisation. It never did optimise and I disabled it finding it unnecessary. Indeed, the system is better without. But, as said, if you have correctly configured the system, leave it alone, adjusting only the temperature for each room or zone as and when needed.

Comment

• Treadstone
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2020

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              I have said it before, but I am six years in with the system and cannot complain. The best advice is usually that having set up and configured your system, leave it alone, resist the urge to play with it. The only aspect I have found did not work is optimisation. It never did optimise and I disabled it finding it unnecessary. Indeed, the system is better without. But, as said, if you have correctly configured the system, leave it alone, adjusting only the temperature for each room or zone as and when needed.
              Great to hear your all good there, 6 years and happy. You cant ask for much more than that !

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Treadstone View Post
                Thanks for your input, it was a single zone only, no HR92s. I gave it 4 weeks before before giving up and reverting to my previous stat that restored family harmony. While I appreciate this system works for many it fell way below my expectations. The overshoot followed by even more demand for overshoot is the killer for me. I undersatnd the reason for continued demand after set point is reached but it is not needed in my application. Perhaps some further menu options to customize this behaviour would tame the overshoot. Of course turning down the setpoint would reduce overshoot but then everyone is cold !.

Other than the systems inabilty to create and maintain a steady temperature it succeeds in many respects but that failing has made it just a rather nice internet accessable timer for me.

Its great that the majority of folk enjoy the system and in time and a few firmware revisions maybe it could work for me, but for now sadly no.
                Have you adjusted the internal sensor offset if you're using the EvoHome Panel as a sensor? You have to adjust it by about -1.5oc to get a true temperature reading.

Comment

• Treadstone
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Oct 2020

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                  Have you adjusted the internal sensor offset if you're using the EvoHome Panel as a sensor? You have to adjust it by about -1.5oc to get a true temperature reading.
                  I have not used the internal sensor but have tried both the HCF82 & T87RF with the same result. I have reinstated the evohome this morning for a further trial period.

Here is a thought what do you think:

During the the time the stat was overshooting the weather was very mild so demand was very low. Could this effect the performace/learning etc ?

Comment

• CT1
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Apr 2016

I am not part of the beta trial, but isn't one of the new features intended to reduce overshoots. It may be worth asking for an update to the new software. Make sure you read the thread first to see if it might be right for you.

You say you only have a single zone. I think EvoHome is probably optimised for multi zone systems rather than as a replacement for a room thermostat. Apologies if I have not understood you set up.

Comment

• Treadstone
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Oct 2020

You may well be correct in that Evohome may not function as expected/hoped when operated in a single zone configuration contrary to the Honeywell documention showing it as a valid installation.

As I am able to switch between a proven stat and Evohome with a single switch I will give it a little longer to better understand the issues and potential fixes.

Looks like there is a lot to read in that beta trial thread, I will put it on the list of things to do.

Thanks for your suggestions

Comment

• Treadstone
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Oct 2020

An update, since the weather has chilled I gave the Evohome kit another go and things have improved by a large margin.

Could learning have been hampered by mild weather ? has re installtion (power cycling) helped who knows but the reduction in over shoot is night & day.

So for the time being things are looking up I will update this thread with any further developments

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

What is your flow temperature set to ? Unnecessarily high flow temperature will probably lead to overshoots until it learns the characteristics of your boiler and room. (The one room which it is measuring)

Also as others have said I would recommend setting calibration to -1C or so as the internal heat generated inside the controller tends to cause it to read higher than the true room temperature. While I have a system with all HR92's I have my controller wall mounted in the hallway and use the Evotouch as sensor for the hallway. By comparing it to another temperature sensor pinned nearby on the wall I found it needed about -1.0C to be accurate.

Comment

• Treadstone
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Oct 2020

The flow temperature is set at 55 0C which seems like a sensible number that works for my well insulated house. I do not use the internal temperature sensor & am currently using the HCF82. However as I said things are looking up here since the weather has chilled and I have high hopes of a better relationship with Evohome.

Comment

Working...
                            X