Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Evohome and dissapointed

Automated Home Lurker

Default New to Evohome and dissapointed

I am new to Evohome and can not get my head round such poor temperature control. It is configured as a single zone controlling only the boiler and the overshoot is just crazy and it then continues to demand more overshoot !. My current Stat controls within <.5 0C with no overshoot and no undershoot if that makes sense. I am clearly not alone here and I suspect there are many Evohome customers either too hot or shivering. The concept of Evohome looks great but the most basic part of thermostat performance is missing. I have read many posts on the subject and this poor performance appears to be accepted by some customers who accept poor thermostat performance in order to gain the the wider functionality of the system however I would rather live in a comfortable temperature. I have now reverted to a proper thermostat and the Evohome is boxed up and ready to go. If anyone is aware of an upcoming Firmware version that resolves such basic issues I think it needs to be shared.
    Last edited by Treadstone; 1st November 2020 at 10:26 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Sorry to hear.

My experience is that overshoots disappear within 2-3 days after which temperature control in all zones is spot-on. So no, poor temperature control is not one of the peeves I have with the Evohome system.

YMMV

Automated Home Ninja

The system takes up to 3 weeks to learn. Leave it alone and let it learn your system.

Have you got HR92s or just set up as a Single Zone?

My system is to the degree - no issues here.

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Evohome Overshoot

If you can not live with the overshoot for a few days just reduce the set temperature until it learns.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    The system takes up to 3 weeks to learn. Leave it alone and let it learn your system.

Have you got HR92s or just set up as a Single Zone?

My system is to the degree - no issues here.
    Thanks for your input, it was a single zone only, no HR92s. I gave it 4 weeks before before giving up and reverting to my previous stat that restored family harmony. While I appreciate this system works for many it fell way below my expectations. The overshoot followed by even more demand for overshoot is the killer for me. I undersatnd the reason for continued demand after set point is reached but it is not needed in my application. Perhaps some further menu options to customize this behaviour would tame the overshoot. Of course turning down the setpoint would reduce overshoot but then everyone is cold !.

Other than the systems inabilty to create and maintain a steady temperature it succeeds in many respects but that failing has made it just a rather nice internet accessable timer for me.

Its great that the majority of folk enjoy the system and in time and a few firmware revisions maybe it could work for me, but for now sadly no.

Automated Home Legend

I have said it before, but I am six years in with the system and cannot complain. The best advice is usually that having set up and configured your system, leave it alone, resist the urge to play with it. The only aspect I have found did not work is optimisation. It never did optimise and I disabled it finding it unnecessary. Indeed, the system is better without. But, as said, if you have correctly configured the system, leave it alone, adjusting only the temperature for each room or zone as and when needed.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I have said it before, but I am six years in with the system and cannot complain. The best advice is usually that having set up and configured your system, leave it alone, resist the urge to play with it. The only aspect I have found did not work is optimisation. It never did optimise and I disabled it finding it unnecessary. Indeed, the system is better without. But, as said, if you have correctly configured the system, leave it alone, adjusting only the temperature for each room or zone as and when needed.
    Great to hear your all good there, 6 years and happy. You cant ask for much more than that !

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Thanks for your input, it was a single zone only, no HR92s. I gave it 4 weeks before before giving up and reverting to my previous stat that restored family harmony. While I appreciate this system works for many it fell way below my expectations. The overshoot followed by even more demand for overshoot is the killer for me. I undersatnd the reason for continued demand after set point is reached but it is not needed in my application. Perhaps some further menu options to customize this behaviour would tame the overshoot. Of course turning down the setpoint would reduce overshoot but then everyone is cold !.

Other than the systems inabilty to create and maintain a steady temperature it succeeds in many respects but that failing has made it just a rather nice internet accessable timer for me.

Its great that the majority of folk enjoy the system and in time and a few firmware revisions maybe it could work for me, but for now sadly no.
    Have you adjusted the internal sensor offset if you're using the EvoHome Panel as a sensor? You have to adjust it by about -1.5oc to get a true temperature reading.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Have you adjusted the internal sensor offset if you're using the EvoHome Panel as a sensor? You have to adjust it by about -1.5oc to get a true temperature reading.
    I have not used the internal sensor but have tried both the HCF82 & T87RF with the same result. I have reinstated the evohome this morning for a further trial period.

Here is a thought what do you think:

During the the time the stat was overshooting the weather was very mild so demand was very low. Could this effect the performace/learning etc ?

Automated Home Sr Member

I am not part of the beta trial, but isn't one of the new features intended to reduce overshoots. It may be worth asking for an update to the new software. Make sure you read the thread first to see if it might be right for you.

You say you only have a single zone. I think EvoHome is probably optimised for multi zone systems rather than as a replacement for a room thermostat. Apologies if I have not understood you set up.