• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • happybunny
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2005

X10 dimmer presets

Hi,

I'm a noob to this, and I'm hoping someone can help me understand the one aspect of X10 I'm (currently) struggling to get my head around - dimming control.

Specifically: Can X10 dimmer modules be told to go to a specific brightness level (e.g. 30% or maximum brightness). This seems to me to be an important feature if a room is to support multiple scenes without being totally filled with light fittings! Just to re-iterate, I know that some units go back to previous brightness at switch-on, but that isn't what I mean - I want to know if I can (via PC control) go to a specific brightness level.

I am very attracted to the units from HK at this stage (e.g. http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=44), so I'd be particularly interested in an answer with respect to these (Kevin Lo, if you are on the forums just now...)

Many thanks!
    Ben
  • turbine_2
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2005

Re: X10 dimmer presets

Short answer, yes. If you get something like ActiveHome or Homeseer you can set up macros that will set the dim value to something you want depending on the button pressed.
    No, not the magic smoke escaping again.....

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Be carefull when using active home as this quite often will switch the light full on then dim down to the desired level.
      Homeseer is very good if you want to use a pc based control system. I used to use it as the main controller for my house, but have now changed to the Homevision controller. This is a stand alone controller and just uses the PC for downloading the macros and schedules etc. It can also connect to your TV and you can control your macros using a normal universal remote.
      One thing to remember some modules may start behaving differently. For example to get the LM12 plugin light module to dim properly, ie not go to full on first. You must first switch it on, then dim it down to 0. Now you can control it using dim levels. I normally just send say 6 bright commands via Homevision. And the lamp increases brightness to that level. This for me works really well. Just as long as you remember not to switch the module off but dim it down to 0. The module will consume a little bit more power as it is not technically off, its just at 0.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• funkster
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2005

I use the LD11's in conjunction with my Phillips Pronto, RF base and a IR543AH from Laser (http://www.laser.com/?page=shop/flyp...a227fdd7b2491&)

This allows me to set preset scenes for all the lights in the house.

The lights can come on at ANY preset dim level.

Comment

Working...
        X