X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Duty Cycle percentage. It's the Heat Demand represented as a percentage.

Comment

• mazzy89
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2020

Ok i understand but for an electrical switch what does it mean? Does it mean that it will ever turn on even when the percentage is even 1? or there is a threshold? I can understand this for a TRV but I can't imagine for an electrical switch that is either on or off

Comment

• mazzy89
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2020

Also I've noticed that the system summary is not in sync. Is this normal?

My hr92 is open but the percentage is 0%. Does not make much sense to me. Am I missing anything?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by mazzy89 View Post
          Ok i understand but for an electrical switch what does it mean? Does it mean that it will ever turn on even when the percentage is even 1? or there is a threshold? I can understand this for a TRV but I can't imagine for an electrical switch that is either on or off
          Think of it as a percentage of an hour. 50% means it will be ON for 30 mins within the hour, when, is determined by the cycle rate set.

Comment

• mazzy89
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2020

Oh now it makes totally sense. Thanks a lot for explanation

Comment

• Ansaar
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2020

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
              To control the pump, all you need is a BDR91. No need for the HCE80. You can bind that BDR91 as a zone controller to the Evotouch and when there is heat demand for the zone it will simply turn the UFH pump on to add heat to the circulating water in the floor. The Evotouch can act as the temperature sensor for the UFH zone.
              Hi
              This is exactly what I want to do. When you say add the BDR91 as a zone controller, do you mean add it in the same way as you would add a HR91/92 into a zone, but then select the Evotouch (or other wireless roomstat) as the temperature sensor?

Will that then use the new BDR91 to switch on the UFH pump, but also call the existing BDR91 connected to the boiler in order to send hot water into the UFH?

At times I want the UFH to be off. Would the pump not running keep hot water from entering the loop, or could I use a spare honeywell motorized valve and connect that to the new BDR91 also? That way the motorised valve and the pump would both be run when the new BDR91 is switched on, and remain shut to heated water when it is off.

Comment

• philchillbill
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Ansaar View Post
                Hi
                This is exactly what I want to do. When you say add the BDR91 as a zone controller, do you mean add it in the same way as you would add a HR91/92 into a zone, but then select the Evotouch (or other wireless roomstat) as the temperature sensor?
                Yes, that's correct.

Will that then use the new BDR91 to switch on the UFH pump, but also call the existing BDR91 connected to the boiler in order to send hot water into the UFH?
                Yes, the boiler-BDR91 responds to heat demand, as always.

At times I want the UFH to be off. Would the pump not running keep hot water from entering the loop, or could I use a spare honeywell motorized valve and connect that to the new BDR91 also? That way the motorised valve and the pump would both be run when the new BDR91 is switched on, and remain shut to heated water when it is off.
                You should not need the motorised valve. The UFH manifold is designed in such a way that water circulating as a result of the boiler-pump being active will not circulate in the floor unless the UFH pump is on. The top bar on the manifold 'short circuits' the UFH circulation in this case.

Comment

• Ansaar
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Dec 2020

Fantastic!. thankyou for your very quick response. My evotouch controller is not being used as a temp sensor in any of the radiator zones, so its free. I guess all I need to buy is another BDR91.

Im going to leave two radiators in my large UFH lounge. This is to get the room temp up to speed quicker in the colder mornings. I know theres an issue with the rads getting the room temp first, and the ufh not having time to even warm up the screed. My plan is to set the two radiators as a zone, but make the set point around 2 or 3 degrees below optimal. The UFH zone will have the optimal setting. So the radiators will get the room out of freezing temps, but leave a little temp for the UFH to keep calling for heat until its optimal.

Given the evohome is a learning system, do you predict any complications with it thinking my UFH zone is super quick or too efficient at heating the room?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

The only drawback you need to be aware of is that a BDR91 performs TPI, regardless of how it is used. This means that it will turn the UFH on/off more frequently than is necessary.

Comment

• Ansaar
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Dec 2020

Why is that a drawback? Isnt TPI and evohomes logic designed to try and make sure the room doesnt overshoot the desired temp or get too cold? The old thermostats i had simply were a binary on and off, and either made the house too hot or too cold.

My boiler is a Worcester CDi (around 9 years old). its not opentherm, but it does regulate the rate at which it heats the water quite well (presumably sensing the return temp). Ive set the max temp to 65c, which i believe is the most efficient for a condensing boiler.

all in all, im winning plenty from the days my one analogue thermostat heating the entire house based on the hall temperature

Comment

• Ansaar
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Dec 2020

although one concern i have is that the UFH BDR91 turns off (before the optimal temp is reached) anticipating it will get there. that however turns off the circulating pump in the UFH, in which case the whole circulating/mixing of hot water stops. That will make the ufh not reach the optimal temps.

Is there a UFH pump that continues to operate for a few minutes after the instruction to stop is received? or is that a standard for all pumps (regardless of them being used in UFH or not?)
                        Last edited by Ansaar; 23 December 2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Ansaar
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Dec 2020

Bruce, I just found your post from 2014 about literally the above.

Did you find a solution to your UFH pump switching off when the BDR91 stops calling?

Also, you mentioned using proportional pressure in the pump. I thought "constant differential pressure" is recommended for UFH systems. Im looking at the DAB Evosta 3 as an option.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

I guess you can install a pump overrun timer on your UFH pump.

Comment

• philchillbill
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2017

Won't the warm floor continue to heat the room even when the circulation stops? It represents a gigantic mass containing substantial heat (vs a small mass at a higher temperature = a radiator). Sure it won't perform any miracles but I'd wager leaving the pump on for 'a few more minutes' wont really make that much difference in real life.

Comment

• Ansaar
                                Automated Home Lurker
                                • Dec 2020

True, and I'm hoping I wont need an overrun on the UFH pump. But my electrician buddy says he knows how to do it easily enough. So if I find it to be a problem and need to wire in 5 mins overrun or so, good to know it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                                X