• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Evohome versus Hive

Has anybody got experience of both systems? I just wonder which now is better. I have no plans to change but I calculate it would cost me £631 in total if I installed it myself (straight forward) and it seems another £70 if I paid to have it done. In addition there is the cost of the relay needed for the hot water system. I don’t have a combi boiler and not likely to get one. If my maths is right it works out cheaper to install than Evohome but it seems Evohome is more advanced in what it does. It learns and adjusts which leads to greater economy. Worth the extra? Don’t know.

I installed Evohome 6 years ago and it works fine. No problems. But I have to say if I come to replace my old boiler of 23 years and existing radiators then I would look again at whether to continue with Evohome. I may still do for it will work fine with a replacement boiler and system tank. However, Hive seems to have a better looking app and system, Evohome just not having updated for many years, if ever. Hive is promoted much more than Evohome. In fact I have not seen Evohome promoted at all other than when I came across it 6 years ago looking at heating controls.

Perhaps we have some central heating installers in this forum who have installed and have knowledge of both systems who can comment?
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

I've been with the CM Zone, Hometronic, Evohome V1-V3. Last year a friend wanted to install the latest smart heating and so I looked and looked. Guess what we landed up. Yup Evohome. I just can't believe that no one else has come up with a better system.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

Coincidentally my broadband went down at some point last night. And yet I woke up to a warm house. You cannot underestimate that feature these days. Far too smart systems treat the broadband as a utility, except that we are still many years for it being one.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
        I've been with the CM Zone, Hometronic, Evohome V1-V3. Last year a friend wanted to install the latest smart heating and so I looked and looked. Guess what we landed up. Yup Evohome. I just can't believe that no one else has come up with a better system.
        That was my view 6 years ago. It has not really changed. I grumble at the app, it is slow and not as practical as it could be, but a nice looking app or control panel does not mean it is better than Evohome. Never stops surprising me how few know about or have heard of Evohome and sadly, as it is not promoted, they will only know of alternatives. In another forum I am in the question of Hive cropped up as it was being promoted and low and behold up popped a long standing Evohome user singing its praises. It wasn't me! But I endorsed them!

Honeywell/Resideo could though take a long look at the competition and come up with an improved app etc. Plus tell the world about it - particularly central heating installers!

Comment

• anniesboy
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2019

I had a completely new heating system installed last year.I was new to central heating having used storage heaters previously.
          Before the system was installed I opted for Evohome controls.The two plumbers that installed it used Hive in their own homes,having seen Evohome in action they were both considering moving to Evohome.
          I think the cost of changing has deterred them.

Comment

• CT1
            Automated Home Guru
            • Apr 2016

There are definitely things that need correcting/improving in EvoHome, but the fact that it is not dependent on the cloud and provides completely independent control of all zones are essential requirements for me. As others have said, it really needs the marketing department to improve its visibility especially amongst the plumbing and heating community.

Comment

Working...
            X