• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lloyd
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2020

CS92 Strap on sensor

Is it possible to buy a replacement strap on sensor for a CS92. I bought mine second hand and it only came with the insertion sensor. evohomeshop only has replacement insertion sensors.

Currently I don't have my HW controlled by Evohome. Are there any advantages? At the moment my HW simply comes on for a couple of hours late afternoon, when (until Covid-19 at least), the house was empty and so there was on heating demand, and after I'd got max input from the immersion which is powered with spare solar generated electricity. What is evohome going to give me in this setup?
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

To be honest, if you already have a regular hot water timer controlling the hot water zone valve (and via that the boiler) and it does what you want I would probably just stick with it unless you really want the ability to turn your hot water on and off remotely.

I upgraded my Evohome system from heating control only and gravity fed hot water to S-Plan with 2x zone valves and added the CS92 hot water kit and to be honest I've had quite a few problems. The hot water control on Evohome just isn't reliable enough.

Sure, it works fine most of the time - until it doesn't. When it doesn't it either allows the hot water cylinder temperature to go well past what you have set (mine is set for 54C and when it overshoots it usually goes to 62C) or it makes bogus claims of comms failures which cause the hot water to not heat when it should which happen sporadically and unpredictably.

After dozens of hours researching and debugging these issues I've come to the conclusion that there are fundamental and (for end users) unsolvable problems with the Evohome system design that prevent the hot water control working reliably, and I've occasionally been annoyed by it enough to consider switching to a conventional timer. (laziness and lack of time are the main reasons I haven't called my own bluff and gone through with it Because my system wasn't previously S-Plan I don't have an old hot water timer to reinstate)

There are many threads on this forum discussing the problems people have had with the hot water kit (one active right now) and zero input from Honeywell on the situation. I think that says it all. I've even had my CS92A replaced under warranty but it still didn't resolve the issue.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 14 November 2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• lloyd
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2020

Ok thanks. I'll leave it as is then.

Comment

Working...
      X