X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveP
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2012

Loving all the new Beat features ..but...really missing selectable optimisation

I have been using Evohome in all of its guises since the first monochrome non-connected version and I love all of the new features in 19.33. Especially the variable "eco" and load scaling as now I can just leave my antiquated combi boiler on one heating setting and regardless of the bizarre weather variations the temp in the rooms is perfect (not sure I need the cold weather boost now as the problem of a sudden temp dip outside causing one room to be quite chilly and benefitting from the cold weather boost appears to have been simply that the boiler wasn't up high enough due to rooms overshooting. Load scaling has sorted )
    However, I do miss one capability from the older software releases and it was one of the features that first made by buy the first release monochrome evohome, and that was that whilst I love optimisation, in bedrooms it is not something I want
    Downstairs and in bathrooms optimisation is fantastic. In bedrooms, the early start of a rad can quickly make the room stuffy. With the older software ability to select optimisation by room I switched it off in bedrooms and so the rads came on at the allocated "wake up time" providing some background heat to take the chill off when moving to the nice toasty bathroom or Kitchen for a cuppa.
    Obviously one could play with the times in bedrooms to try and second guess when the optimisation may start to make it start just when its get up time but that is so dependant upon the room temp.
    I am wondering if
    a) am I alone in missing this feature?
    b) is there any chance of getting it back?
    Ultimately it doesn't change my overall enjoyment of the new 19.33 feature packed software and if selectable optimisation is the sacrifice then so be it. I just wonder if it is possible to "have it all" ?
  • CT1
    Automated Home Guru
    • Apr 2016

I would never use optimisation in a bedroom.

1. As you say heating can make the room feel stuffy and disturb the last bit of sleep. If the bedroom is too cold, I prefer a quick blast just before getting up to take away any chill.

2. People are often in a light sleep phase before waking and the noise of the radiator valve operating is particularly disturbing at that time. My house is well insulated and I hardly ever need the heating on overnight.

I may have been tempted to give optimisation a try in other rooms if they could be selected individually but this has never been an option since having EvoHome.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      In bedrooms, the early start of a rad can quickly make the room stuffy. With the older software ability to select optimisation by room I switched it off in bedrooms and so the rads came on at the allocated "wake up time" providing some background heat to take the chill off when moving to the nice toasty bathroom or Kitchen for a cuppa.
      Obviously one could play with the times in bedrooms to try and second guess when the optimisation may start to make it start just when its get up time but that is so dependant upon the room temp.
      I am wondering if
      a) am I alone in missing this feature?
      b) is there any chance of getting it back?
      Ultimately it doesn't change my overall enjoyment of the new 19.33 feature packed software and if selectable optimisation is the sacrifice then so be it. I just wonder if it is possible to "have it all" ?
      This has been asked of the Honeywell guys on here a few times (including in the beta thread) and Honeywell's position seems to be that per-zone optimal start on/off is not coming back, however if you have enough empty slots in your schedule (max 6 per day per zone) there is an easy workaround.

Optimal start can't extend to start earlier than the previous set point change, so you can just place two set points really close together. (10 mins)

Say you want your radiator to come on exactly at 7am and no sooner. If your schedule currently looks like this you'll have a problem:

11pm - 5C
      7am - 18C

Optimal start will change the set point to 18C some time before 7am, potentially hours before and it will be unpredictable depending on how cold the room is. Instead do this:

11pm - 5C
      7am - 5C
      7:10am - 18C

Adding the additional 5C set point means that when it tries to perform optimal start for the 18C set point at 7:10am it can't start any earlier than 7am.

So at exactly 7am* the set point will change from 5C to 18C as if optimal start was disabled for the zone, and never any earlier.

* The exception is if the room temperature is already >17C at 7am, in that case the set point wont change until 7:10am, as optimal start does not function if the zone is already within 1C of the desired set point.

So if you don't mind wasting a set point slot you can achieve the same result as optimal start being disabled for that particular set point change. If you want to do it for every set point change during the day you'll quickly run out of available slots though.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 27 November 2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• SteveP
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        This has been asked of the Honeywell guys on here a few times (including in the beta thread) and Honeywell's position seems to be that per-zone optimal start on/off is not coming back, however if you have enough empty slots in your schedule (max 6 per day per zone) there is an easy workaround.

Optimal start can't extend to start earlier than the previous set point change, so you can just place two set points really close together. (10 mins)

Say you want your radiator to come on exactly at 7am and no sooner. If your schedule currently looks like this you'll have a problem:

11pm - 5C
        7am - 18C

Optimal start will change the set point to 18C some time before 7am, potentially hours before and it will be unpredictable depending on how cold the room is. Instead do this:

11pm - 5C
        7am - 5C
        7:10am - 18C

Adding the additional 5C set point means that when it tries to perform optimal start for the 18C set point at 7:10am it can't start any earlier than 7am.

So at exactly 7am* the set point will change from 5C to 18C as if optimal start was disabled for the zone, and never any earlier.

* The exception is if the room temperature is already >17C at 7am, in that case the set point wont change until 7:10am, as optimal start does not function if the zone is already within 1C of the desired set point.

So if you don't mind wasting a set point slot you can achieve the same result as optimal start being disabled for that particular set point change. If you want to do it for every set point change during the day you'll quickly run out of available slots though.
        As always an absolutely brilliant suggestion from you sir Much appreciated as I do have some free slots - now why didn't I think of that one

Comment

• filbert
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2017

Brilliant! That'll work for me.

Comment

Working...
          X