X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuxtonJim
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2018

Not to hijack the thread but a little more info on hydrogen here: https://www.carbonbrief.org/in-depth...climate-change

Comment

• soaringpilot123
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2020

I can see hydrogen working in new housing estates where bulk storage is employed, in much the same way that some rural housing estates now are run off communal bulk LPG when it's impractical to run a gas main to them. It could work as a drop-in alternative to individual houses supplied with LPG too, assuming their pipework is either capable of taking it or easily renewed. Beyond that, I think hydrogen is a distraction rather than a solution. The cost and upheaval of changing everyone over would be enormous, likely resulting in higher fuel prices to the end user as costs are clawed back for no tangible benefit to them. Heat pumps, and cleaner fuels for off-grid gas, have to be the way forward. Oil-fired boilers could be switched to biodiesel relatively easily - B10 blends can already be accommodated, and up to B30 with a simple pump change - although the difficulty with that ultimately becomes the supply of sufficient quantities of fuel.

Comment

• filbert
        Automated Home Guru
        • Oct 2017

Presumably, hydrogen can't be manufactured at the domestic level? It's a simple process, after all.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Presumably, hydrogen can't be manufactured at the domestic level? It's a simple process, after all.
          Unfortunately I don’t believe it is a simple process but a costly one and at present using natural gas is cheaper than electrolysis. My own view is the government is better looking toward reducing prices for electricity, subsidies and more investment in generation, even massive heat pumps underground somewhere, as the infrastructure for every home and business is already in place. It does not look as though it is going to happen and the potential running costs of an electric system at present are worrying. Such that my final decision may be to replace the gas boiler with another and install a thermal store which will then give me some future proofing if the costs of thermal panels or other methods of generating power come down. Indeed including electricity.

Comment

Working...
          X