Thread: Zone activating when another zone is switched on

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Zone activating when another zone is switched on

Bit of a problem I’ve noticed today.Switched evohome on to run lounge radiator and towel rail in my bathroom,controlled by Hr92,no other zones on,or so I thought.Now the problem,Smiths plinth heater which has its own Hr92 and the Honeywell wireless round thermostat on this to control the temperature,this in my kitchen,this came online which it shouldn’t have.Found that switching off the bathroom towel rad,the plinth heater then switched off,don’t know why this is happening,is something double bound.Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garymtitley View Post
    Bit of a problem I’ve noticed today.Switched evohome on to run lounge radiator and towel rail in my bathroom,controlled by Hr92,no other zones on,or so I thought.Now the problem,Smiths plinth heater which has its own Hr92 and the Honeywell wireless round thermostat on this to control the temperature,this in my kitchen,this came online which it shouldn’t have.Found that switching off the bathroom towel rad,the plinth heater then switched off,don’t know why this is happening,is something double bound.Any help would be appreciated thank you.
    Not sure abouat HR92, but with a HR91 if you press the bind switch for a short period the controller tells you what zone it is associated with.

Automated Home Legend

Did you actually check the set point on the HR92 which is coming on unexpectedly to see the set point is indeed following another zone ?

Or are you just going by the radiator getting hot ? If the radiator is getting hot but the set point isn't changing on the HR92 then you have a mechanical issue like the valve body not closing down properly still letting some water through. (Maybe seized)

If the set point is indeed following that of a different zone you've bound it to the wrong zone and will need to delete the bindings at both ends and rebind both affected zones from scratch.

Automated Home Sr Member

Forgot to say,on the evotouch it's showing the kitchen set back to 5 degrees which is what all zones are set to when off.This is also the same with the round thermostat,its showing 5 degrees too.Must be water getting past the valve which has the balancing insert,this may want adjusting.Hope this makes sense.

Automated Home Legend

Forgot to say,on the evotouch it's showing the kitchen set back to 5 degrees which is what all zones are set to when off.This is also the same with the round thermostat,its showing 5 degrees too.Must be water getting past the valve which has the balancing insert,this may want adjusting.Hope this makes sense.
    I would still check the set point on the actual HR92 itself when the radiator is getting hot when it shouldn't, as if there is a binding mistake on the HR92 the controller and wall thermostat will still report the correct set point.

Automated Home Sr Member

Heating set point is 5 degrees on the Hr92,just checked.Wound the balancing insert out so it’s loose then turned back in.Tightened the plastic Hr 92 body onto the valve making sure the black wheel is fully anti cloclockwise before refitting the Hr92 back on.Seems to have done the trick as the plinth heater has shut down,will see what it does.

Automated Home Legend

Heating set point is 5 degrees on the Hr92,just checked.Wound the balancing insert out so it’s loose then turned back in.Tightened the plastic Hr 92 body onto the valve making sure the black wheel is fully anti cloclockwise before refitting the Hr92 back on.Seems to have done the trick as the plinth heater has shut down,will see what it does.
    If you continue to have trouble with the valve not fully closing, consider changing the Stroke setting to 1 - this increases the force used to close the valve and increases how far down it pushes the pin and is sometimes necessary with certain valves.

If you change that setting do the same thing you just did afterwards - remove the HR92, turn the black wheel anti-clockwise and refit the HR92 - this will force another pin calibration with the new stroke setting.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    If you continue to have trouble with the valve not fully closing, consider changing the Stroke setting to 1 - this increases the force used to close the valve and increases how far down it pushes the pin and is sometimes necessary with certain valves.

If you change that setting do the same thing you just did afterwards - remove the HR92, turn the black wheel anti-clockwise and refit the HR92 - this will force another pin calibration with the new stroke setting.
    That’s great,will do.At the moment it seems what I have done so far has sorted the problem.Thanks for all your help,it’s much appreciated.