Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome controller dropped

Automated Home Lurker

Default Evohome controller dropped

Hi guy

My misses hit the controller off the wall mount yesterday and smashed the screen, so no touch control is available, it did loose connectivity for a while but itís back up and running now.

Can I buy a controller on its own?

How would I go about changing just the controller?

Also I have the app and now control the heating through this. Can my girlfriend download the app and also use it to control the heating when she wants? Does she have to use my log it details so I would be logged in on 2 devices with the same account

Also does anyone know if the controller is getting an update soon? It so old and dated now, it would be nice to seen a bit of a change, so Iím not sure if I can just run it from the app if this is gonna happen soon

Automated Home Legend

Yes you can buy a controller on its own and replace your broken one.

Unfortunately there is no built in way to back up your configuration and restore it to the new one.

So you will need to write down all your schedules and custom settings, clear all the bindings on your HR92's, BDR91's etc and go through the setup process from scratch on the new controller to create the zones, bind devices and configure your schedules.

(Yes you can use 3rd party tools to back up and restore schedules in theory but since you'd still have to do all the bindings manually it's not really worth the effort)

After that you would need to delete the old controller from your account and add the new one for remote control. A bit of a hassle but not a huge deal, and if you set up the system yourself in the first place you'll know what to do.

Yes the controller is getting long in the tooth - the WiFi version has been out since 2015 with no sign of a new one on the horizon.

Yes you can have two phones logged into the same account with the Evohome app - me and my girlfriend both have it on our phones.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it!

Do you know if I can run the system ok ish without the controller fully operational? Im just thinking if something drops out I could be in a world of hurt if I donít get one ready but I could essentially run it from the app unit it decides to fully die on me?

Automated Home Legend

No, the system needs the controller to work. All the schedules etc are actually stored on the controller, the app merely has a copy that is synced with the controller, which is the master.
    This is actually one of the biggest benefits of Evohome i.e. the fact that the system can keep working without needing an Internet connection.

Automated Home Legend

If the controller is working, even with the smashed touch screen. Your system should still be functional, just that the UI has been taken away. You can use the app to manage some aspects of the UI, but you will still need the controller powered up. You could look for a used controller on ebay and just swap the screen. All Honeywell devices are incredibly each to disassemble. This will save you from having to rebind or back up anything.

Automated Home Lurker

Yes the controller is working, just without the touch screen. All zones are operational and hot water is working fine and I can use the app to adjust when needed. Just the touchscreen is broken. I might try the screen swap first and see how that goes?!

Automated Home Lurker

Does anyone know if a screen from an older model will fit a newer controller? I have a mate with an old one ATC928. And I have a newer one I bought a year ago, Iíll have to find the serial but I assume itís a newer model

Automated Home Lurker

Also if I try to change the display and and up breaking the origjnal, will there be anyway to run the heating without this controller operational?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Does anyone know if a screen from an older model will fit a newer controller? I have a mate with an old one ATC928. And I have a newer one I bought a year ago, I’ll have to find the serial but I assume it’s a newer model
    I doubt anyone here would know the answer to that - my guess would be no. The hardware between the two models is very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Also if I try to change the display and and up breaking the origjnal, will there be anyway to run the heating without this controller operational?
    Not really.

All control is routed through the controller - all devices talk directly to the controller and not to each other.

If you have a wall thermostat like a DTS92E or Y87RF then in a emergency "whoops I completely broke my controller" scenario you could bind the wall thermostat directly to the BDR91 for the heating zone valve and it would act like a traditional single thermostat system.

However you would have no schedules, only the temperature in that one room would call for heat, (same as a traditional one zone thermostat though!) and all the HR92's would have to be adjusted manually and would have no schedule, just like manual TRV's. (They are able to regulate temperature to the set temperature without the controller)

Another emergency workaround would be to bypass the wiring for the BD91 so the boiler is always on - in this case each HR92 will continue to maintain their manually set temperatures. Not ideal though - only good for keeping your home from freezing while you get a new controller sorted. Short term you can also just press the button on the BDR91 to turn the boiler on - normally the controller will override this within 20 minutes however if the controller is dead I think that it would stay on. (Not completely sure though - when the BDR91 goes into flashing red light error mode after an hour of lost comms it might go off again - haven't tried it before!)

Neither of these gives you hot water control back though.

Don't break your controller
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 2nd February 2021 at 09:17 AM.

Automated Home Lurker

Cheers mate, Iíve put the controller in a more safe place for the time being, Iíll get buying a new one ASAP, misses just knocked the thing off the wall putting her coat on! My fault for installing it in the hallway mind you!
    Itís a bit annoying that a cracked screen is now going to cost £200 just because the app canít do all the things the controller can. I love the way evohome controls the house but itís so flawed in many ways.