• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gpaolo79
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2020

Starting with Evohome -questions

Hi all,
    I have just moved from Nest to Evohome, after a few years on Nest it seemed to me that remained quite behind the newer systems and I had the feeling that it wasn't working too well lately.
    I'm still waiting for the last 4 HR92 to complete the zones but in the meanwhile I have a couple of questions for people with more experience on this system.

One thing that I'm missing is some information that is telling me a) that the heating is on, and b) why it is on.
    For example, in a situation like this one:

Screenshot_20201129_202725_com.honeywell.totalconnectcomforteurope.jpg

all temperatures were quite higher than the setting, but the heating was still on.

Another thing that I don't fully understand is the management of the schedule. Look at this situation later in the evening:

Screenshot_20201129_230213_com.honeywell.totalconnectcomforteurope.jpg

At 11PM, two areas indicate a setting of 15 degrees, but in the schedule, that temperature is set starting from midnight:

Screenshot_20201129_230321_com.honeywell.totalconnectcomforteurope.jpg

Why is this happening? Is it because I have enabled the smart function saying to get the temperature by the time indicated in the schedule? On Nest there was the same function, but it was not for switching off the heating, it was used to know how much before the heating had to be switched on to get the set temperature. Beside, it was not changing the schedule... Am I missing something here?

One question about the custom schedule: I see in the app that there is the possibility to select temporarily a custom schedule, but I can't see anywhere how to set it up. Where is that? Is there no possibility to edit the schedule from the honeywell website?

I am installing Domoticz, on windows it works fine, but I was trying to install it also on my NAS with no luck at the moment, the service is not starting for some reason that I can't understand.

Well, thank you for any suggestion you can give me!
  • Billywizzo
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2020

I believe that part of the smart functions is to try and get rooms to the set temperature at the time you have set the on switch point, so the heating will come on earlier to do that, and to turn off rooms so that they will cool down to be at the off temperature at the off switch point time.
    Some one else may correct me if i have that wrong.
    On the evohome main controller, if you press quick actions then custom, you can setup a custom schedule there. I have never used that so cannot help with setting it up.

In your first picture all that is telling you is the temperatures you have requested (in orange box) and the room temperatures above it. The idea I believe is for the system to try and keep rooms at the requested temperatures but won't tell you if the heating is on or off it will just signal the boiler on or off as required.
    Last edited by Billywizzo; 4 December 2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• gpaolo79
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2020

Ok, thanks! It might be that I'm making some confusion coming from a system that was working differently...
      So, let's say, if I want to setup the schedule in way where the heating in the office where I work is switched off at 5PM, how could I do that? Because if I set 15 degrees at 5PM, it would probably switch off 2h earlier (which is the maximum I have set for the smart function). On the other side, I want to keep the function for the heating up, to have the room ready in the morning, so disabling the smart function is not really desirable...

Thanks for the custom schedule, I didn't spot it!

Another question: is there any way to make it determine if someone is at home? On the nest there was the motion sensor and, when it was working properly, also the localization on the mobile phone. Any possibility on the Evohome? Not that now that I'm working from home is that important, but for the future it can be interesting.

Comment

• Billywizzo
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2020

You can turn off the optimum stop smart function and leave the start one on.
        That is all I can see you can do unless they change it so you can select seperate rooms for optimum start/stop like with the smart weather.
        No idea about knowing if you are home, someone else may know .

Comment

• gpaolo79
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2020

Originally posted by Billywizzo View Post
          You can turn off the optimum stop smart function and leave the start one on.
          Really? I didn't see the possibility to chose the stop and start, only to enable the function... let me see... ah, I got it. Sorry, it should have been rather obvious. I have to say that it's clear now that you told me, but the translation in Italian doesn't explain very well what it does...
          Ok thanks again!

Comment

• kevinsmart
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Sep 2018

Optimum Stop behaviour is described as follows:

Optimum Stop is an energy saving feature. If enabled, it will allow you to save some energy shortly before a set temperature reduction. This way, depending upon how cold or warm it is, evohome will turn the heating off early, allowing the temperature to fall by 0.5 degrees Celsius.

I used Life360 IFTTT support for home/away actions but unfortunately that service is no longer available.

Comment

• gpaolo79
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2020

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
              Optimum Stop behaviour is described as follows:

Optimum Stop is an energy saving feature. If enabled, it will allow you to save some energy shortly before a set temperature reduction. This way, depending upon how cold or warm it is, evohome will turn the heating off early, allowing the temperature to fall by 0.5 degrees Celsius.
              Yes, that is what I understood, but in my case the schedule was being anticipated of one hour or more. From the schedule, the temperature at 11PM was set at 18 and from midnight to 15 degrees, while the controller was showing 15 degrees already at 11PM. This is what surprised me.

I used Life360 IFTTT support for home/away actions but unfortunately that service is no longer available.
              Ah, IFTTT... I need to look at it, I registered long time ago but never used it at the end.
              I'm stuck with Domoticz, apparently there is a lot of information to install it on Synology NAS but close to nothing for ReadyNAS and the only instructions I have found are years old and not working...

Comment

• kevinsmart
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Sep 2018

Originally posted by gpaolo79 View Post
                Yes, that is what I understood, but in my case the schedule was being anticipated of one hour or more. From the schedule, the temperature at 11PM was set at 18 and from midnight to 15 degrees, while the controller was showing 15 degrees already at 11PM. This is what surprised me.
                Evohome is predicting that you won’t lose more than 0.5C from 11pm to midnight, so stops further heating. You should see a Euro sign displayed in the zone to indicate this.

Comment

• gpaolo79
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2020

Another question. In the last week, the Evohome station has lost twice the wifi connection, without connecting back by itself. In both occurrences, I had to manually disconnect and reconnect.
                  The first time I thought it was due to the fact that the 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ networks share the same name, as it has become common, and I have created a separated 2.4GHZ network and connected to this one. Tonight, after a few days, it lost connection again. I have tried now to connect to my other access point (this was the BT hub) but the signal is a bit weak there, but I wanted to check if it's a hub incompatibility or something else. Needless to say, wifi works well with any other device, Nest (or any other device, I have three wifi cameras which have no issue) never lost connection in years. I'm a bit concerned because I'm going to leave for three weeks and I count on the remote control to go back to a warm house, is there any known issue with wifi?

Comment

• gpaolo79
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2020

Ok I did find something. There was some mention about Evohome not supporting channels 12 and 13. I'm not sure if it's still true, because my wifi was set on channel 13, so obviously it was connecting, but it might be bugged. I have changed the channel and I'll see how it goes.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Recent firmware versions support channels 12 and 13. If you were on a firmware version prior to this it just wouldn't see your network at all if it was on channel 12 or 13.

The Evotouch is 2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n only so having the same SSID on 2G and 5G won't cause you an issue as it won't even see the 5G network.

One possibility is that your 2.4Ghz WiFi is not working well (interference from neighbours or other devices etc) and you don't realise it because the vast majority of devices these days are dual band 2G and 5G and will tend to use the 5G band. The Evotouch is probably one of the few perhaps only WiFi device in your house that is 2G only therefore will suffer if you have interference issues on 2G.

Our baby monitor used to wipe out 2.4Ghz WiFi - basically unusable for browsing and other normal use but 5G perfectly usable. Surprisingly the Evotouch managed to hang on and stay connected on 2G even when laptops were struggling as its bandwidth requirements are probably miniscule.

I would lock a device like a laptop on 2G (by using a unique 2.4Ghz only SSID name) and do some speed testing of your 2.4Ghz signal around the house and the area the Evotouch is in - you might be surprised to find it isn't working very well due to interference.

Comment

• gpaolo79
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2020

I do have a couple of cameras that are 2.4GHz only, but they normally never get disconnected. It's true that the Nest was dual band, though.
                        By the way, how do you know which firmware is installed? I can't see it anywhere...

Comment

• lloyd
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Oct 2020

I do have a couple of cameras that are 2.4GHz only, but they normally never get disconnected. It's true that the Nest was dual band, though.
                          By the way, how do you know which firmware is installed? I can't see it anywhere...
                          Settings -> Very long press on device settings

Comment

• gpaolo79
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Nov 2020

Originally posted by lloyd View Post
                            Settings -> Very long press on device settings
                            Great, thanks!

Comment

• kevinsmart
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Sep 2018

Ok I did find something. There was some mention about Evohome not supporting channels 12 and 13. I'm not sure if it's still true, because my wifi was set on channel 13, so obviously it was connecting, but it might be bugged. I have changed the channel and I'll see how it goes.
                              What’s the make of your other access point, Netgear perchance?

I have experienced some issues with my
                              Netgear D7800 dropping 2.4GHz connections. Appears to be an unresolved firmware issue based on user complaints.

Comment

Working...
                              X