• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gordonb3
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2016

Tiny info request - Evohome web client

Having switched to a newer API key I found several json field names and value types/formats to have been altered and needed adjusting in my evohomeclient code. Just last week I discovered I missed at least one as a cancel override returned 0°C as the current setpoint (for which the front-end references the schedule because the update in the web portal is not instant). As my own installation does not contain a DHW device I am unable to verify what changes might have occurred to that particular device, particularly the schedule info.

I'd appreciate it very much if somebody could supply me (partial) schedule info of his/her DHW device, using either watchforstock's python library or the schedule backup/restore demo app from my C++ implementation at https://github.com/gordonb3/evohomeclient
  • philchillbill
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2017

Can you divulge the source of your new API key? Is Resideo issuing them to developers (again)?

Comment

• gordonb3
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2016

Not that new. I simply did not follow the API key change when Joe submitted it to Andrew's code. Noting an increasing number of reports from Domoticz users not being able to connect and this apparently being caused by the old API key it was time to make some changes. The trouble is that there is no real documentation on the API, so you sort of have to discover it all yourself.

Comment

• philchillbill
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2017

Interesting that the parameter naming in the JSON as returned would depend on the API key used. One would expect that the parameter values rather than the parameter names might be what's different. But hey, it's Resideo so anything's possible.

It's so short-sighted of them not to publish details of an API that they already have, even if only under NDA to developers. One of the reasons that Logitech Media Server refuses to die in the face of competitors like Sonos is that Sonos is a closed system with no API while LMS is totally open. The hobbyist/maker community could do a lot of free development work for Resideo if they would only embrace more openness...

Comment

• gordonb3
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
          Interesting that the parameter naming in the JSON as returned would depend on the API key used. One would expect that the parameter values rather than the parameter names might be what's different. But hey, it's Resideo so anything's possible.
          My understanding is that the API key defines what is and what is not allowed. For instance, in the original generic API the key does not allow you access to any of the calls that are specific to the Honeywell security products and in fact earlier this year they stripped the right to renew the key, so now you have to send your credentials again every 15 minutes.

But yes, in most cases the difference between the older `v2` API key and the replacement key is in the presentation of boolean values, going from 0/1 to false/true but in the case of DHW needs to be off/on. Regarding schedules, with the old API key I had to change the field name "temperature" from requesting a schedule to "TargetTemperature" (case-sensitive) when setting a schedule. With the replacement key this is now "heatSetpoint" and appears to be so for both directions. What I don't know is whether the setpoint for DHW, which used to be "dhwState", is also renamed.

Edit: No, that's not true. My existing code still translates the field names to become caps-first, so for sending it is "HeatSetpoint"

It's so short-sighted of them not to publish details of an API that they already have, even if only under NDA to developers. One of the reasons that Logitech Media Server refuses to die in the face of competitors like Sonos is that Sonos is a closed system with no API while LMS is totally open. The hobbyist/maker community could do a lot of free development work for Resideo if they would only embrace more openness...
          I think what helps here is that Logitech didn't actually create the protocol themselves and originally they didn't even label it with their own brand as the main hub went from SLIM server (possibly an open-source project) to Squeezebox server and only then became LMS just two years before they launched their own `UE` protocol that died shortly after.
          Last edited by gordonb3; 9 December 2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• gordonb3
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Dec 2016

Nobody have DHW?

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
              Nobody have DHW?
              I do. I even graph the hot water temperature via the V1 API.

Comment

• gordonb3
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Dec 2016

You're just teasing me now, aren't you?

Comment

• zxdavb
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2018

@gordonb3 PM me your email address - I believe can give you access to my test bed via TCC website.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
                    You're just teasing me now, aren't you?
                    No ?

I use the evohome-munin plugin to graph my zones and hot water:

Munin plugin for monitoring room/zone temperatures controlled by the Evohome of Honeywell - Infern1/evohome-munin

It uses the V1 API via Watchforstock's python client bindings, although I have test scripts that use the V2 API as well.

It graphs measured hot water temperature, however as hot water set point is not available in the API it uses the hot water on/off state with a pre-set hot water set point in the script for the purposes of graphing the set point.

Is there something you want tested ?

Comment

• gordonb3
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by zxdavb View Post
                      @gordonb3 PM me your email address - I believe can give you access to my test bed via TCC website.
                      It's on the project home page

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      Is there something you want tested ?
                      I really only require a small snippet (or confirmation if unchanged) showing the target setpoint for DHW as reported by the `schedule` call. It should look something as follows:

Regular zone:
                      Code:
                             Old API key                                                    Current API key
                      ===========================================================================================================

"dailySchedules" : [                                           "dailySchedules" : [
                          {                                                              {
                              "dayOfWeek" : "Monday",                                        "dayOfWeek" : "Monday",
                              "switchpoints" : [                                             "switchpoints" : [
                                      "temperature" : 20.0,                                          "heatSetpoint" : 20.0,
                                      "timeOfDay" : "06:30:00"                                       "timeOfDay" : "06:30:00"
                                  },                                                             },
                                      "temperature" : 18.0,                                          "temperature" : 18.0,

Hot Water Device:
                      Code:
                             Old API key                                                    Current API key
                      ===========================================================================================================

"dailySchedules" : [                                           "dailySchedules" : [
                              "dayOfWeek" : "Monday",                                        "dayOfWeek" : "Monday",
                              "switchpoints" : [                                             "switchpoints" : [
                                      "dhwState" : "On",                                             ?????
                                      "timeOfDay" : "06:30:00"                                       "timeOfDay" : "06:30:00"
                                  },                                                             },
                                      "dhwState" : "Off",                                            ?????
                      I like to know what goes where the question marks are. If you know how to use the schedule call in your python client that's perfectly okay - it's the same API key.

Comment

Working...
                      X