Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCTV over CAT5

Automated Home Lurker

Default CCTV over CAT5

I'm just about to finish cabling my house with Cat 5. Before the ceilings go back up I wanted to check I'd taken everything into consideration.

I haven't really given CCTV much consideration and if I am to include cabling for this I need to make some quick decisions as the ceilings have to go back in the next few days.

I could run some co-ax for the cameras. But since I don't yet know what type of system I want and where I would put it I don't know how many cables to run and to where.

But if I could run the CCTV over Cat 5 then all I've got to do is install another say 8 points in the loft. Then I can route the CCTV signal anywhere over the house.

Does anyone have experience of doing this? I saw this balun and wondered if it's the key to everything:

http://www.madnat.com/product.asp?nu...ion=3&P_ID=148

Thanks for any help!

Robert

Default Re: CCTV over CAT5

Yes Robert, you can do CCTV over CAT5.

Those Baluns are nice/handy, but not cheap. You can do it without them if you don't mind soldering/crimping etc.

M.

Automated Home Lurker

Great - thanks. Can you point me in the direction of any articles on CCTV over Cat 5 or instructions for making up the connectors?

Twist a pair together for each of the following:-

1st Pair - Positive
    2nd Pair - Common
    3rd Pair - Video

M.

Automated Home Lurker

That simple then! ops:

Automated Home Jr Member

I was thinking of do this. Just a few questions.

Could I send the 12V power supply down the other pair? Maybe it will cause problems to the video signal but even if i was to use another cat5 cable would the 12V go down the cat5? Any lenght restrictions?

The other thing i was thinking if the camera has motion detection would it still work? Don't really have a clue on how motion detection works! Is it the camera the does it or the device that it connects to the picks up the motion detection?

And finaly how about sound? Could that use the last pair.

Maybe just buy a cheapo! cctv camera and have a mess around!

Thanks
    Brian

Hi Brian,

Provided that you need less than about 250mA then you canfeed the power over the CAT5. The more curent you draw the greater the voltage drop at the far end but most cameras regulate the 12V down to a lower voltage anyway so a slight drop shouldnt be a problem.

Use one pair for +12V
    Use another pair for 0V

Send the video down another pair, Video on colour, gnd on white
    Send the audio down the remaining pair, audio on colour, gnd on white

It WILL be unbalanced without using any form of Balun so there will be crosstalk. This can manifest itself in two ways...

1. The 50Hz sync pulses may cause a hum on the audio

2. Loud audio may cause picture disturbance.

If you expereince either of these then the only way to solve it is with passive or active Baluns.

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks Keith,

Kind of expected the chance of crosstalk. I will only be running over the Cat5 for a few meters and ill probably get a cheap camera so mightn't be worth spending money on balun at the moment as it just an idea not a necessity. As for sound no real need for it but just taught I'd ask the question to see if it's possible.

Thanks for the info
    Brian

Hi Brian,

Over such a short distance it should be fine.

With regard to the audio, unless the audio level was extremely high the chances of it interfering with video are low.

If the audio did suffer from a slight hum you would be unlikely to notice it as people viewing a CCTV camera tend not to use a full blown surround sound system with subwoofer* and the audio section of a portable TV or CCTV monitor almost cetainly wouldnt have a low enough frequency response to reproduce it.

* DISCLAIMER. given the nature of some of the people on this list there is bound to be someone viewing their CCTV via a projector and surround sound

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by katman
    * DISCLAIMER. given the nature of some of the people on this list there is bound to be someone viewing their CCTV via a projector and surround sound
    Keith
    There could be a chance of that happening but i'll try not to!