• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DorrisMancer
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2017

Rfg100

I've got a large'ish Evohome system and have recently acquired an RFG100 as part of a box of bits, can it be used for anything useful (such as monitoring)?
  • DarkV
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2020

The RFG100 is for older Evohome systems that don't have build in WIFI.

If you've a new system an RFG100 is useless.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

The RFG100 is super useful even on the most recent version. But you will need to hack it a bit to get the serial data from it and then you can use it as an Evohome monitor.

Comment

• DorrisMancer
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2017

I thought I recalled reading something about being able to use it as a monitor. Where can I find guidance on what to do?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

How handy are you at electronics? This isn't a plug and go solution

Comment

• DorrisMancer
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2017

4 years studying for an Electronic Engineering degree in the 70s, later CEng and FIET, but my hands-on days were a while ago ;-)

Comment

• gordonb3
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2016

Oh, this is pretty interesting. Does the hack destroy the original functionality? Would be nice if it's a simple job of attaching wires to measuring points on the board. Even better if you could also send commands through that serial connection.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

You won't be able to send commands easily because the current MCU on the RFG100 is connected to the radio chip. But you can sniff the data that is has been picked up by the radio as valid on its way to the MCU on board.
                It's a fun project. However its not a cost effective one. These parts are all pretty cheap and you can make a fully functional HGI80 for about a tenner these days.

Comment

Working...
                X