Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evohome - temperature dropping below the away value

Automated Home Jr Member

Exclamation Evohome - temperature dropping below the away value

Hi all,
    I am away and I have set the heating at 10 degrees until I'm back. This has been working perfectly for the past 10 days, house took a few day to cool down but then I could see in the plots that temperature was going up when it was dropping below 10 in each zone.
    Since today, three zones out of four have fallen below 10 degrees, two are at 9.5 and one is down to 9. I have not received any notification of any error.
    Should I start panicking that something has gone wrong with the boiler? Since the evohome is not giving any indication if the relays are on or off I can't understand if the heating is not being switched on and it's not working or for some reason evohome is not heating up the house! Not even Domoticz shows this information and in the log of the controller the last event is just the setting of Away.
    Does anyone has any suggestion?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gpaolo79 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am away and I have set the heating at 10 degrees until I'm back. This has been working perfectly for the past 10 days, house took a few day to cool down but then I could see in the plots that temperature was going up when it was dropping below 10 in each zone.
    Since today, three zones out of four have fallen below 10 degrees, two are at 9.5 and one is down to 9. I have not received any notification of any error.
    Should I start panicking that something has gone wrong with the boiler? Since the evohome is not giving any indication if the relays are on or off I can't understand if the heating is not being switched on and it's not working or for some reason evohome is not heating up the house! Not even Domoticz shows this information and in the log of the controller the last event is just the setting of Away.
    Does anyone has any suggestion?
    Sounds like the boiler isn't working....at a wild guess if it's a condensing boiler and your somewhere chilly is it possible the condensate will have frozen up?

Should be a feature on EvoHome. to notify you of failed heating. Tado will notify you if there's an issue with a zone not heating, Evohome should be able to do the same.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Sounds like the boiler isn't working....at a wild guess if it's a condensing boiler and your somewhere chilly is it possible the condensate will have frozen up?
    It's definitely not working. I had an idea about what could be happening. When I got the house, the boiler had a wireless thermostat that I could not remove, because it was a module inside the boiler. So to control it with my other thermostat I had to leave the old one always set to 30 degrees (always on, basically) and wired the relay box to the boiler.
    What could have happened is that the original wireless thermostat run out of battery and the boiler is ignoring the relay. I just hope it won't freeze inside the house. In any case, the first night will be an interesting one, since I'm arriving in the evening...

Should be a feature on EvoHome. to notify you of failed heating. Tado will notify you if there's an issue with a zone not heating, Evohome should be able to do the same.
    It definitely should. Even simpler, an indication that the relay is switched is missing, this is something that I can't really understand.

Automated Home Jr Member

Not sure if this is a red herring, but in the 'Away' mode does the temp differential still come into play ?

ie if the rooms set to 10C with a differential on 2C it might not fire until the room reaches 8C.

Happy to be corrected.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fly100 View Post
    Not sure if this is a red herring, but in the 'Away' mode does the temp differential still come into play ?

ie if the rooms set to 10C with a differential on 2C it might not fire until the room reaches 8C.

Happy to be corrected.
    No, as far as I could see in the past days when it was working, the moment it was going 0.5 degrees below the set temperature it was heating.

Automated Home Legend

It could also have something to do with the new Load Scaling which has just been rolled out to all users and switched by default.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    It could also have something to do with the new Load Scaling which has just been rolled out to all users and switched by default.
    Any way to check it remotely?

Automated Home Legend

Unfortunately not, the Load Scaling feature is in the Installer menu.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Unfortunately not, the Load Scaling feature is in the Installer menu.
    I have to say that this system is quite limited for the remote control...

Automated Home Legend

None of the Installer settings are available remotely. I think that is understandable.