Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome - temperature dropping below the away value

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    None of the Installer settings are available remotely. I think that is understandable.
    Well, this setting seems more related to operation than installation...
    But yes, definitely that seems to be the approach: you set everything on the system and just monitor temperature and enable programs remotely.

Automated Home Legend

Load Scaling isn't and shouldn't be an everyday operation

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gpaolo79 View Post
    It's definitely not working. I had an idea about what could be happening. When I got the house, the boiler had a wireless thermostat that I could not remove, because it was a module inside the boiler. So to control it with my other thermostat I had to leave the old one always set to 30 degrees (always on, basically) and wired the relay box to the boiler.
    What could have happened is that the original wireless thermostat run out of battery and the boiler is ignoring the relay. I just hope it won't freeze inside the house. In any case, the first night will be an interesting one, since I'm arriving in the evening...
    Wow, I really don't like the sound of that. There must be a way to bypass the original wireless thermostat in the future...you don't want to be relying on it especially if it is battery powered.

My suggestion would be - use the app to turn your heating back on to its normal schedule for example using day off mode and leave it like that for a few hours to see if it warms up or whether there is no change. Better to use a little bit more gas than have freezing pipes if you're unsure if there is a fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly100 View Post
    Not sure if this is a red herring, but in the 'Away' mode does the temp differential still come into play ?

ie if the rooms set to 10C with a differential on 2C it might not fire until the room reaches 8C.
    I don't know what temperature differential you're referring to here. Away mode is just a set point like any other and doesn't behave any differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    It could also have something to do with the new Load Scaling which has just been rolled out to all users and switched by default.
    When my firmware updated load scaling was off by default - I had to go in and manually enable it, so I doubt this has happened. As far as I know all the new user configurable features in 19.33 are off by default but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Automated Home Sr Member

I have only had 19.33 for about ten days,load scaling was off.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Wow, I really don't like the sound of that. There must be a way to bypass the original wireless thermostat in the future...you don't want to be relying on it especially if it is battery powered.
    I know, but from what I understood the previous owner of the house put this wireless module in the boiler in substitution of the original one (which they didn't keep). This module has also all sort of other controls for enabling hot water, heating, etc., so I can't just unplug it. So, even if the hardwired switch still works, it is in an AND configuration with the wireless one.
    Big lesson learned here, plus some good old Murphy law applied: I need to move the old wireless thermostat in a place where I can see it instead of keeping it in the loft or I won't know when batteries are low. Obviously it happened while I was away, probably batteries were near the limit and with the colder temperature they just gave up.

My suggestion would be - use the app to turn your heating back on to its normal schedule for example using day off mode and leave it like that for a few hours to see if it warms up or whether there is no change. Better to use a little bit more gas than have freezing pipes if you're unsure if there is a fault.
    I tried that the other day -nothing. I have even checked the smart meter readings and there is no gas consumption, so boiler is not firing up.
    What is odd, checking on the smart meter, is that I have some more power consumption since this issue started, I went from 4.1kWh/day to 5.7kWh/day. Now I have switched off the heating (well, switched off the relay is more precise...) for a few hours and tomorrow I should be able to see on the smart meter readings if this excess of power is due to this situation. I'm down to 7.5 degrees as lowest temperature, hopefully the coldest days are gone and it should remain above zero, according to forecasts...

Automated Home Legend

This is why I am not a massive fan of the Frost Protection settings in Evohome. By the time a room in the house has reached 5C, pipes under the floor and unheated areas are way lower than that.
    This is why I used to have a HRxx valve in the loft which wasn't connected to a radiator. This would trigger the Frost protection in advance of the rooms.

Automated Home Jr Member

Well, I have arrived a couple of hours ago in a very fresh house. Mystery solved: boiler was blocked with a fault. It´s Worcester Greenstar, code was F7, which is Ionisation detected before burner start. Never had any error in the past year... After a reset it has restarted and it's warming up. I'll see if it does it again, but I was wondering if the new evohome could have something to do with it. Before, the heating was switching on and off relatively few times a day, now I can hear the relay switching on and off the boiler quite often, and in more than one occasion without a clear idea of what is triggering the switch on.
    Did anyone experience any similar issue?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gpaolo79 View Post
    Well, I have arrived a couple of hours ago in a very fresh house. Mystery solved: boiler was blocked with a fault. It´s Worcester Greenstar, code was F7, which is Ionisation detected before burner start. Never had any error in the past year... After a reset it has restarted and it's warming up. I'll see if it does it again, but I was wondering if the new evohome could have something to do with it. Before, the heating was switching on and off relatively few times a day, now I can hear the relay switching on and off the boiler quite often, and in more than one occasion without a clear idea of what is triggering the switch on.
    Did anyone experience any similar issue?
    Is it a Greenstar CDI? If it is you’ll need some new electrodes fitted by a gas safe engineer and probably a service

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    Is it a Greenstar CDI? If it is you’ll need some new electrodes fitted by a gas safe engineer and probably a service
    I think it's the CDI, yes... Ok I'll try to find someone to do the work.