• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roydonaldson
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2013

Monitoring overnight in cold weather - Conrad Connect

Hi there,

One thing I find useful when the cold weather comes in is to monitor the overnight temperatures of my rooms. I want them to be set low enough that the heating is not running in empty rooms overnight, but high enough that rooms that I will be using heat back up in a reasonable amount of time.

I know there all sorts of ways to do this, but the easiest I have found is simply to connect Conrad Connect: https://conradconnect.com/en/get-1-m...onnect-premium up to Evohome and then simply add graphs of charts of each room. I can then look the next morning at how low the rooms get down to, or watch as the heating runs and keeps them at temperature.

Cheers,
    Roy.
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
    Hi there,

One thing I find useful when the cold weather comes in is to monitor the overnight temperatures of my rooms. I want them to be set low enough that the heating is not running in empty rooms overnight, but high enough that rooms that I will be using heat back up in a reasonable amount of time.

I know there all sorts of ways to do this, but the easiest I have found is simply to connect Conrad Connect: https://conradconnect.com/en/get-1-m...onnect-premium up to Evohome and then simply add graphs of charts of each room. I can then look the next morning at how low the rooms get down to, or watch as the heating runs and keeps them at temperature.

Cheers,
    Roy.
    I have done it on a more simple basis. My radiator in the conservatory is set to 5c, the minimum. This time of the year I can hear the boiler fire up in the night which will be because the conservatory has dropped below 5C. Not for long thank goodness. When I get up (around 05:30 a.m.) there is no heating on and I usually check the room temperatures plus the outside one. Not every morning! Rarely do they drip below 15C during the night (other than the conservatory) so the overnight temperature is set to 14C. I end up with a good idea of what the temperatures changes are, the lowest they go to etc. It does not need any special gear, just look at the app. In due course the conservatory radiator will go. I am considering the need to replace my system and probably with a dry one. My researches so far are indicating it will be cost effective and provide future proofing.

Now what would be useful is if the app or control panel recorded temperature fluctuations for each room so that you can see at a glance your optimum settings. Perhaps in addition how long in minutes a zone was actively being heated. The data exists for the boffins to include it in the software just as other members of the forum have done it themselves with other software and gizmos.

Comment

Working...
    X