Thread: Advice please: 7 Zone UFH with Combi Boiler

Automated Home Lurker

Default Advice please: 7 Zone UFH with Combi Boiler

Hi all. Iím very happy I found this forum! And Iím looking for some advice please. I currently have an opentherm compatible gas combi boiler (heating 7 UFH zones) controlled by a basic timer and 7 system basic stats that donít support opentherm. The system just runs at 100% on/off and as such I often overshoot my desired temp, and the floor is often really hot. Iím sure itís using more gas than it needs to!
    Iíve been researching and as far as I can tell my only option to upgrade my heating controls is Evohome (as it will give me temperature modulation via opentherm). First question, is that correct, do I have any other options?
    If Evohome is my only (or even best option) then I think I need.
    ē 1 * Opentherm Gateway
    ē 1 * Underfloor Heating Controller (HCC80R) Ė giving 5 zones
    ē 1 * Extension module (HCS80) for Underfloor Heating Controller Ė giving 3 more zones
    ē 1 * evohome controller (will also use as a stat in zone 1)
    ē 1 * Wireless Relay Box (BDR91)
    ē 7 * Digital Room Thermostat (DTS92)
    Do I need any additional hardware?
    Do I even need BDR91 if Iím using the Opentherm gateway?
    Thanks for the advice!!

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vohan View Post
    Hi all. Iím very happy I found this forum! And Iím looking for some advice please. I currently have an opentherm compatible gas combi boiler (heating 7 UFH zones) controlled by a basic timer and 7 system basic stats that donít support opentherm. The system just runs at 100% on/off and as such I often overshoot my desired temp, and the floor is often really hot. Iím sure itís using more gas than it needs to!
    Iíve been researching and as far as I can tell my only option to upgrade my heating controls is Evohome (as it will give me temperature modulation via opentherm). First question, is that correct, do I have any other options?
    If Evohome is my only (or even best option) then I think I need.
    ē 1 * Opentherm Gateway
    ē 1 * Underfloor Heating Controller (HCC80R) Ė giving 5 zones
    ē 1 * Extension module (HCS80) for Underfloor Heating Controller Ė giving 3 more zones
    ē 1 * evohome controller (will also use as a stat in zone 1)
    ē 1 * Wireless Relay Box (BDR91)
    ē 7 * Digital Room Thermostat (DTS92)
    Do I need any additional hardware?
    Do I even need BDR91 if Iím using the Opentherm gateway?
    Thanks for the advice!!
    Hi! You wonít need the BDR91. You can buy a Modulation Pack which includes the Evohome controller plus OpenTherm Gateway, rather than BDR91.

If you are using the controller as a zone stat you will only need 6 DTS92 room thermostats.

Do you have a hot water cylinder?

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Kevin. Great thanks for clarifying that I don't need BDR91, and sorry I meant to say i needed 6 stats not 7, well spotted!
    No hot water cylinder, combi boiler delivers instant hot water.
    Do I have any option for mains powered room stats? I don't want to buy 7 controllers due to the cost, but would prefer if the DTS92's were mains powered as I have power at the locations already.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vohan View Post
    Hi Kevin. Great thanks for clarifying that I don't need BDR91, and sorry I meant to say i needed 6 stats not 7, well spotted!
    No hot water cylinder, combi boiler delivers instant hot water.
    Do I have any option for mains powered room stats? I don't want to buy 7 controllers due to the cost, but would prefer if the DTS92's were mains powered as I have power at the locations already.
    Thereís no off the shelf solution for powering the room stats, you could probably wire them to a transformer.

Batteries should last a couple of years though so not too much hassle.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks Kevin. Very much appreciated.