Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries for HR92s now Duracell Industrial batteries have been discontinued

Automated Home Guru

Default Batteries for HR92s now Duracell Industrial batteries have been discontinued

I have been using Duracell Industrial batteries for some years, and have found them to work well with HR92s.

I find some applications are voltage sensitive, like the HR92s so when those cells are changed they are passed on to less voltage sensitive applications like torches & radios.

I now find that Duracell Industrial batteries are no longer available, and my supplier has suggested ProCell or ProCell Intense.

I wonder if anyone has experience of either in HR92s?

Here are a couple of links:-

https://cellpacksolutions.co.uk/news...ll-industrial/

https://cellpacksolutions.co.uk/news...ocell-intense/

Happy New Year

FB

Automated Home Legend

According to this link ProCell are the same as Duracell industrial:

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/bra...y-procell.html

I've just been using 40 packs of GP Ultra Alkaline most of the time in my HR92's and DTS92E with no problems at all. They seem to last about 1 1/2 years in my HR92's, given that I have them all set in the more battery hungry Stroke 1 mode, and over 2 years in DTS92E's. (I've only changed the batteries in my DTS92's twice - and I've had them for 5 years!)

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/gp-...eries-40-pack/

I've also tried the Varta Alkaline when the GP Ultra were out of stock and they have been fine as well.

While I'm sure that you can get longer battery life if you use something more expensive (especially Lithium) you'll pay a lot more for it so the cost to benefit ratio will actually be lower. HR92's etc aren't really as demanding as you make out - in my experience problems usually happen due to high contact resistance on the terrible battery contacts which frequently need bending to reset their tension. (I do this as a matter of course during a battery swap)

The only reason I can see to use Lithium is in a situation where you want to minimise battery swapping for example if you're looking after your parents system for them....

Whatever batteries you choose have a look at batterystation.co.uk - I've bought all my bulk batteries from them for years (including a big pre-Christmas batch for all the kids toys that would be consuming them..) and found them quite good. They seem to have every type you'll ever need and have been fairly quick with delivery.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 7th January 2021 at 08:10 PM.

Automated Home Legend

I get mine from Amazon. They are badged as Amazon. They don’t seem to last any longer or shorter than others and I have had no problems. I have a diary note to change them all on the 1st December each year. OK, I accept there is still life left in some but it makes life easier and I don’t have to watch the display each day to see if a change is needed.

Automated Home Legend philchillbill's Avatar

A year ago I thought I'd do the environment a favour and switched to IKEA rechargeable 2450mAh AA's in all my HR92s. These are excellent quality for the price and are reported to be Sanyo Eneloops under the hood (the Rolls Royce of rechargeables). They are also very low self-discharge. In the HR92 menu settings, I diligently changed the battery type to NiMH to account for the 1.5V to 1.2V transition.

Anyway, big mistake. After about 3 months the low-battery warning appears on all zones and I have to recharge. It seems the 2x 1.2V vs 2x 1.5V for alkalines makes a big difference to the HR92s, despite the NiMH setting in the menu.

The thing is, IKEA have vowed to stop selling all alkalines from 2021 onwards and others will likely follow. All very well for the environment, but gonna be a pain in applications where 1.5V is needed in cells...

Automated Home Legend

Why are IKEA stopping sale of Alkaline batteries and why do you think everyone else will follow?

First I've heard of sales of Alkaline batteries stopping anywhere.

Despite the NiMH setting, rechargeable NiMH cells don't make sense for Evohome devices IMHO.

Automated Home Legend philchillbill's Avatar

For any battery operated device I always try and use Energizer Lithium. They last for ages. In one device for a client which was a beam break sensor the batteries lasted over 3 years. They also have a really long shelf life. And GP Ultra has been my second battery if I can't get the Lithiums.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

I've been using Varta AA's obtained from Amazon and they seem to be fine at a good price.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    According to this link ProCell are the same as Duracell industrial:

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/bra...y-procell.html

I've just been using 40 packs of GP Ultra Alkaline most of the time in my HR92's and DTS92E with no problems at all. They seem to last about 1 1/2 years in my HR92's, given that I have them all set in the more battery hungry Stroke 1 mode, and over 2 years in DTS92E's. (I've only changed the batteries in my DTS92's twice - and I've had them for 5 years!)

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/gp-...eries-40-pack/
    I use GP Ultra as well and they last well - I haven't monitored specifically but at least a year, probably longer..

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    All I see in that article is that Ikea plan to stop selling virtually all non-rechargeable batteries (not just Alkaline) over "environmental concerns".

So just buy from somewhere other than Ikea... When buying in bulk from places like battery station is so much cheaper I don't know why you would buy them from Ikea anyway.

For a moment there you had me thinking there might be some legislation coming in like that "banning" household filament bulbs, but no.

The real answer to waste disposal concerns with non-rechargeable batteries is to provide easy to access disposal options for recycling. Here in the UK you occasionally see corner stores with a place to dispose of used cells, but it can be hard to find locations like this so I'm sure most end up in landfill via general household waste as people don't know what else to do with them. That's a problem that could be addressed as they can and should be recycled.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 8th January 2021 at 10:17 PM.