• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filbert
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
    Haven't used rechargeable batteries for way over ten years now. They always turned out to be a disappointment, the spare set I brought to be able to continue being just as empty as the ones they needed to replace. Even happened with Duracells, like they have a timer that says stop working X minutes after charging regardless of (any) load.
    That doesn't happen with the NiMH "Low Self Discharge" type. I keep them for months after charging and they're still good. Same with power tools, I used to have to put my drill on charge the day before I wanted to use it. With the modern rechargeable (lithium, in this case,I think), it's always ready to use.
    Last edited by filbert; 10 January 2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      That doesn't happen with the NiMH "Low Self Discharge" type. I keep them for months after charging and they're still good. Same with power tools, I used to have to put my drill on charge the day before I wanted to use it. With the modern rechargeable (lithium, in this case,I think), it's always ready to use.
      I've just had to scrap a HR92, due to a leaky alkaline. Completely dead, even after I tried to clean the contacts. So, I'm done with alkalines. These were Amazon own brand, which claim to be leak proof, but clearly not.

I'm switching to low self discharge NIMH, as I don't want to have to fork out for more HR92s. Even if I do have to replace them more often, I'll just have to put up with that.
      Last edited by IvanOpinion; 17 May 2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Bilbomacuser
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2021

One thing I would recommend for NiMH low self discharge batteries is a decent charger. The one I have has test modes and refresh modes so that if you have any batteries spare sitting around for very long periods (such as when we ended up with a surplus when my children grew out of their toys) you can test that the capacity is what it should be, and if it isn’t then put it through the refresh cycle. Often this will bring them back almost like new. I still have some several years old that have their original 2400 mAh capacity.

I’ve had so many alkaline batteries leak over the years that I avoid them wherever possible. I’ve recently bought a load of Fujitsu AAA batteries for torches like the Led Lenser P7 to avoid the risk of battery leaks.
        Last edited by Bilbomacuser; 17 May 2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Bilbomacuser View Post
          One thing I would recommend for NiMH low self discharge batteries is a decent charger. The one I have has test modes and refresh modes so that if you have any batteries spare sitting around for very long periods (such as when we ended up with a surplus when my children grew out of their toys) you can test that the capacity is what it should be, and if it isn’t then put it through the refresh cycle. Often this will bring them back almost like new. I still have some several years old that have their original 2400 mAh capacity.
          I agree, although I also find that sometimes my Technoline charger rejects certain batteries if they are completely drained (eg, all their charge is used and then they sit in that state and self-discharge even further). In that case, I put them in a 'dumb' charger for 10 minutes, which just starts charging them regardless of their state. This seems to nudge them back into life (I think of it like a defibrillator) and then the smart charger is able to detect them. A refresh then does its magic.

Comment

• Bilbomacuser
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2021

The first Technoline charger I had didn’t charge completely drained batteries unless you used a paper clip to link the terminals of an adjacent charging battery for several seconds to ‘kick start’ it.

However the newer version of the Technoline charger doesn’t have this problem thankfully. Even batteries with voltages as low as 0.8V charge fine (though often would need a refresh cycle to get the capacity back up - as usually battery’s that are that flat have become so from being left discharged for a long time).

Comment

Working...
            X