X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FullBore
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2016

Batteries for HR92s now Duracell Industrial batteries have been discontinued

I have been using Duracell Industrial batteries for some years, and have found them to work well with HR92s.

I find some applications are voltage sensitive, like the HR92s so when those cells are changed they are passed on to less voltage sensitive applications like torches & radios.

I now find that Duracell Industrial batteries are no longer available, and my supplier has suggested ProCell or ProCell Intense.

I wonder if anyone has experience of either in HR92s?

Here are a couple of links:-

Duracell Industrial will soon be replaced by Duracell Procell. A new improved range from Duracell in terms of build quality and endurance.

The new procell intense range of proffesional batteries, perfect for high drain devices is now availabe to order on our website.

Happy New Year

FB
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

According to this link ProCell are the same as Duracell industrial:

Duracell Procell Batteries have been replaced with Industrial Brand. Same Quality, Same uses, same Battery, just rebranded.

I've just been using 40 packs of GP Ultra Alkaline most of the time in my HR92's and DTS92E with no problems at all. They seem to last about 1 1/2 years in my HR92's, given that I have them all set in the more battery hungry Stroke 1 mode, and over 2 years in DTS92E's. (I've only changed the batteries in my DTS92's twice - and I've had them for 5 years!)

Order GP Ultra Alkaline AA LR6 Batteries | 40 Pack Today before 4pm to receive next day.

I've also tried the Varta Alkaline when the GP Ultra were out of stock and they have been fine as well.

While I'm sure that you can get longer battery life if you use something more expensive (especially Lithium) you'll pay a lot more for it so the cost to benefit ratio will actually be lower. HR92's etc aren't really as demanding as you make out - in my experience problems usually happen due to high contact resistance on the terrible battery contacts which frequently need bending to reset their tension. (I do this as a matter of course during a battery swap)

The only reason I can see to use Lithium is in a situation where you want to minimise battery swapping for example if you're looking after your parents system for them....

Whatever batteries you choose have a look at batterystation.co.uk - I've bought all my bulk batteries from them for years (including a big pre-Christmas batch for all the kids toys that would be consuming them..) and found them quite good. They seem to have every type you'll ever need and have been fairly quick with delivery.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 7 January 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

I get mine from Amazon. They are badged as Amazon. They don’t seem to last any longer or shorter than others and I have had no problems. I have a diary note to change them all on the 1st December each year. OK, I accept there is still life left in some but it makes life easier and I don’t have to watch the display each day to see if a change is needed.

Comment

• philchillbill
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2017

A year ago I thought I'd do the environment a favour and switched to IKEA rechargeable 2450mAh AA's in all my HR92s. These are excellent quality for the price and are reported to be Sanyo Eneloops under the hood (the Rolls Royce of rechargeables). They are also very low self-discharge. In the HR92 menu settings, I diligently changed the battery type to NiMH to account for the 1.5V to 1.2V transition.

Anyway, big mistake. After about 3 months the low-battery warning appears on all zones and I have to recharge. It seems the 2x 1.2V vs 2x 1.5V for alkalines makes a big difference to the HR92s, despite the NiMH setting in the menu.

The thing is, IKEA have vowed to stop selling all alkalines from 2021 onwards and others will likely follow. All very well for the environment, but gonna be a pain in applications where 1.5V is needed in cells...

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Why are IKEA stopping sale of Alkaline batteries and why do you think everyone else will follow?

First I've heard of sales of Alkaline batteries stopping anywhere.

Despite the NiMH setting, rechargeable NiMH cells don't make sense for Evohome devices IMHO.

Comment

• philchillbill
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2017

The days of strolling into an Ikea and plopping down a few dollars for a 10-pack of Alkalisk batteries are coming to an end. The Swedish furniture-and-meatball purveyor announced earlier this morning that, due to concerns over waste and sustainability, it plans to stop selling nearly all non-rechargeable batteries around the world by October 2021.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

For any battery operated device I always try and use Energizer Lithium. They last for ages. In one device for a client which was a beam break sensor the batteries lasted over 3 years. They also have a really long shelf life. And GP Ultra has been my second battery if I can't get the Lithiums.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wobbin
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2017

I've been using Varta AA's obtained from Amazon and they seem to be fine at a good price.

Comment

• filbert
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  According to this link ProCell are the same as Duracell industrial:

Duracell Procell Batteries have been replaced with Industrial Brand. Same Quality, Same uses, same Battery, just rebranded.

I've just been using 40 packs of GP Ultra Alkaline most of the time in my HR92's and DTS92E with no problems at all. They seem to last about 1 1/2 years in my HR92's, given that I have them all set in the more battery hungry Stroke 1 mode, and over 2 years in DTS92E's. (I've only changed the batteries in my DTS92's twice - and I've had them for 5 years!)

Order GP Ultra Alkaline AA LR6 Batteries | 40 Pack Today before 4pm to receive next day.

I use GP Ultra as well and they last well - I haven't monitored specifically but at least a year, probably longer..

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

All I see in that article is that Ikea plan to stop selling virtually all non-rechargeable batteries (not just Alkaline) over "environmental concerns".

So just buy from somewhere other than Ikea... When buying in bulk from places like battery station is so much cheaper I don't know why you would buy them from Ikea anyway.

For a moment there you had me thinking there might be some legislation coming in like that "banning" household filament bulbs, but no.

The real answer to waste disposal concerns with non-rechargeable batteries is to provide easy to access disposal options for recycling. Here in the UK you occasionally see corner stores with a place to dispose of used cells, but it can be hard to find locations like this so I'm sure most end up in landfill via general household waste as people don't know what else to do with them. That's a problem that could be addressed as they can and should be recycled.
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 8 January 2021, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Bilbomacuser
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2021

I’ve been using low self discharge NiMH batteries for years with the HR92 without issues. I didn’t know there was a specific NiMH setting, I’ve just had them set up as default. The only issue I’ve noticed is that the battery charge level shows as 2 bars instead of 3 bars when the batteries are fully charged, but they still typically last many months. In fact I’m still using a load of several years old Uniross low self discharge nimh batteries - when my children were young I bought dozens for their toys, which are now spare. I occasionally run a test cycle in the Technoline charger and dispose of any with significantly reduced capacity. More recently I have bought either Fujitsu or Panasonic low self discharge nimh batteries which seem just as good as uniross were, and I think the capacity is slightly higher. For anyone who has used NiMH that aren’t low self discharge, you’ll find they’re a waste of time because they lose significant charge after a few months even if not being used, so totally unsuitable for something like the HR92 where the power draw is low and the aim is to charge them infrequently.

I’ve been buying them from battery logic for years. The charger (technoline) they sell is really good too, any batteries that have been unused for a while can be put through a refresh cycle that also tests their capacity. If refresh fails to restore decent capacity (in a very old battery) then I throw it away.

I bought the evohome system because it’s more environmentally friendly - minimising energy use in rooms when it’s not needed. I wouldn’t be happy using disposable batteries. The other thing I had issues with for disposable batteries is the dramatically higher incidence of leakage - I’ve had several devices ruined by leaked batteries (thankfully not the hr92’s), decent brands such as Ducacell, including the industrial ones, Panasonic etc all leak, especially in devices that are used infrequently like torches. I’ve had lots of disposable batteries leak that are still in date. Out of dozens of low self discharge nimh batteries I threw away one single battery because I thought it might have been starting to leak, but it was subtle unlike the complete mess that disposable batteries cause.

I’m not sure how long exactly I get in the hr92, but I suspect it’s 12 months, possibly longer especially in some rooms if feels like I rarely need to change them.

Although the voltage is different for nimh batteries, it’s rare for this to cause issues in use - apparently the voltage of a disposable battery drops MORE as soon as a current is drawn, so the voltage rating of a battery (when there is no current draw) is very misleading when comparing 1,5v disposable vs 1.2v nimh. I would strongly recommend everyone tries them.
                      Last edited by Bilbomacuser; 9 January 2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• philchillbill
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                        All I see in that article is that Ikea plan to stop selling virtually all non-rechargeable batteries (not just Alkaline) over "environmental concerns".

So just buy from somewhere other than Ikea... When buying in bulk from places like battery station is so much cheaper I don't know why you would buy them from Ikea anyway.

For a moment there you had me thinking there might be some legislation coming in like that "banning" household filament bulbs, but no.

The real answer to waste disposal concerns with non-rechargeable batteries is to provide easy to access disposal options for recycling. Here in the UK you occasionally see corner stores with a place to dispose of used cells, but it can be hard to find locations like this so I'm sure most end up in landfill via general household waste as people don't know what else to do with them. That's a problem that could be addressed as they can and should be recycled.
                        Correct, but if IKEA thinks this is a good idea then other will follow. When Apple introduced white earbuds, we suddenly all had white earbuds. When they introduced the notch, all phones adopted notches. IKEA are the biggest retailer of batteries in the world. So sure, it's not legislation, but it may become a trend nevertheless.

For the record, every supermarket in NL has battery disposal banks as you enter the store. But even then, rechargeable is more environmentally friendly than recycling.

Comment

• filbert
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bilbomacuser View Post
                          I’ve been buying them from battery logic for years. The charger (technoline) they sell is really good too,.
                          I can also recommend Battery Logic - good service - and the Technoline charger. I used one for a few years until I connected it to the wrong power supply

Comment

• filbert
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
                            For the record, every supermarket in NL has battery disposal banks as you enter the store.
                            Same in the UK. Also, our local 'recycling centre' - AKA the tip - has a battery disposal point. I'm sure most do these days.

Comment

• gordonb3
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Dec 2016

Haven't used rechargeable batteries for way over ten years now. They always turned out to be a disappointment, the spare set I brought to be able to continue being just as empty as the ones they needed to replace. Even happened with Duracells, like they have a timer that says stop working X minutes after charging regardless of (any) load.

As for NL, we have this show on television that investigates claims about consumer products and there was an episode on whether known brand batteries are really better than no-name batteries. It turned out that most batteries are in fact produced in the same factory, even those from known brands. Which sort of confirms what I found myself, as I have one of my HR92 units running on a set of ARO (home brand of MAKRO wholesale stores) batteries for over two years now. Granted, the motor on that HR92 is rarely activated, but at a quarter to a third of the price of a known brand like Varta, Kodak, Philips, etc. I'd name that good economy.

Comment

Working...
                              X