Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Control Panel Battery

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I agree, I now remove the batteries and charge them in my external battery charger that discharges and then charges them. This also allows me to check if the batteries are doing OK.
    Have done that a couple of times using a smart battery charger. Did not make any difference to the level of charge compared to the controller, but as you say, it does indicate that the batteries are okay. I soon learned not to expect to be able to run the Evotouch off a mount for more than a few minutes.

Automated Home Legend

When I first got mine in 2015 it would run from batteries without complaining for about 3 hours and run another 3 hours complaining before it finally died.

Automated Home Legend

Mind did. Something must have been done with an update since that messes it up.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Mind did. Something must have been done with an update since that messes it up.
    Could they have raised the voltage at which low battery is triggered in the hope that this would have stopped the self discharge problem when on the mount? If so it was unsuccessful and has just causes an over sensitive battery low condition when off the mount?

Automated Home Legend

But why, after so many years of this issue, many in this forum reporting on it a long long time ago and some even doing tests to ascertain the cause, have Honeywell ignored it and having created the problem done nothing to remove it for some years? Having a working backup battery system is fundamental. Like designing a control device without the ower to drive it!

Automated Home Legend

I think the problem is the firmware never checks the battery once the charging circuit has determined that the battery is fully charged.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I think the problem is the firmware never checks the battery once the charging circuit has determined that the battery is fully charged.
    But that only explains the inability to keep the batteries charged, not why the Evotouch will not run off the mount for any length of time, even with fully charged batteries.

Would be really helpful if someone from Resideo would actually tell us what the problem is and why 5hey cannot fix it. So far it has been years of silence.

Automated Home Legend

The battery issue with the Control Panel has this morning provided to be a real pain in the proverbial and to my mind raised the issue into one that Honeywell need to address urgently. My new boiler is in! Power to the BDR91 has been off and when I switched it on this morning I needed to re-pair it with the Panel. Not a big problem but I also needed to delete reference to DHW (new boiler is a combi) and remove a room where a radiator has come out. I have not yet wired up the wall mount for the Panel and it has been on its stand in my study. The BDR91 is elsewhere. I took the Panel to the BDR to re-pair but half way through the Panel said it needed to go back on power. I am sure many will appreciate the frustration. I thought of getting an extension lead so that I could have the stand close by but by carefully judging my timing I got the BDR91 repaired. All works fine. Nice tidy system. However, it really is a pain in the rear end that the Panel packs up working when off it’s stand or wall mount such that it takes an age to pair an item with it. Fortunately I did not have to re-pair any of my HR92s.

Come on Honeywell/Resideo this is a fundamental flaw in the device such that in the UK it breaches the Sale of Goods Act that was. The device is not fit for purpose as it’s back battery system does not function. A customer’s remedy is in such cases to seek a replacement. But that is no good for we know a replacement has the same fault. It really is high time Honeywell addressed this problem.

Is there a contact email to make contact although I think this is something Honeywell/Resideo’s CEO should know about?

Automated Home Legend

Just looked at the manual. It says out of the wall charger the unit will last 30 minutes or so before it bleeps. That’s a joke. Sounds as though once a week I need to take the panel off its charger, remove batteries, put the panel back, wait a little then put the batteries in. This is 2021, we are sending rockets to the moon and Mars, we are to have self drive cars, but we can’t have a simple thing like this sorted. I made the point earlier, just think how Apple would have reacted if this was an iPhone. But sadly Honeywell/Resideo never seem to be customer focussed, as if we are an irrelevance. A friend of mine, not an Evohome user has found the same with Honeywell but yet in his working life in industry Honeywell had a different approach, they were much better - with their industrial customers. Probably why Evohome was hived off to Resideo but we don’t see a change, this forum is proliferated with people expressing the same exasperation. BUT, a big but this time, the product is good, it works, but I feel sad for the newbie uninitiated user. Not a difficult matter to resolve either.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Just looked at the manual. It says out of the wall charger the unit will last 30 minutes or so before it bleeps. That’s a joke. ....
    Tried mine yesterday and it was around 25 mins before I got the warning to put it back on charge. It's around three years old and still on the original batteries.
    I did do the battery out reset a year or more ago but not since - but I have removed the battery briefly recently, to reboot after comms failures.

The user guide says nothing about battery life off the mount, it's the installer guide that refers to the beep - but it doesn't say how long the battery should last, the beep might just be a warning.