Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Control Panel Battery

Automated Home Legend

Default Control Panel Battery

Some months ago I took my Control Panel off it’s mount and noticed that within a couple of minutes it hung on me with the display saying the batteries in it were low and I needed to put it back on the mount. I did so. It indicated the batteries seemed to be fine. As the batteries were the original ones I replaced them with new rechargeables. I still get the same issue in that I cannot take the Panel off the mount for longer than a minute or so before it hangs on me. I have checked the strength of the contacts in the battery compartment and all seems OK. Anybody else with this issue? I am sure it has cropped up before but I searched before posting and found nothing.

Automated Home Guru

Try this link and also within the thread Anniesboy original link
    https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbul...ller+batteries

Automated Home Legend

Thanks. Will have a look.

Automated Home Legend

The bug that keeps the batteries within the control panel topped up has not been implemented. So by the time you need the backup of the batteries, the batteries have self depleted. This is quite a novice error on the part of Honeywell/Resideo. Backup batteries should routinely be tested and topped up, if required, so that they are fully charged for when you need them.

Automated Home Legend

I can confirm that this charging bug still exists in the 19.33 firmware. I fitted brand new rechargeable batteries several months ago and ensured they were fully charged, when I recently removed the controller from the wall mount I got about 5 minutes use before it was screaming to be put back on the charger because the batteries have not been kept charged.

Please, fix this Honeywell. Keeping batteries charged is not rocket science, especially when this problem has been reported to you via this forum for YEARS!

The workaround to force the batteries to be fully charged is to remove a battery, remove it from the charger so that it shuts off, then reinstate it on the charger, wait until it boots up and displays a red cross indicating the batteries are missing, then insert the missing battery.

This is the only way to force the battery to be fully charged, but end users should not be having to do this. There's no point having backup batteries if the controller is incapable of keeping them properly charged.

Automated Home Legend

This has got to be the most severe bug that exists on the Evohome system today. I can't think of a bigger issue.
    The bug of not periodically resetting TRVs back to the Heating Off, during Heating Off is probably a close second but is still some distance away priority wise from the battery top up required.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    This has got to be the most severe bug that exists on the Evohome system today. I can't think of a bigger issue.
    The bug of not periodically resetting TRVs back to the Heating Off, during Heating Off is probably a close second but is still some distance away priority wise from the battery top up required.
    Totally agree. I can only think that there is a hardware problem, otherwise why would they leave this problem for years. They also appear very unwilling to acknowledge the problem.

Automated Home Legend

I have followed the routine suggested to get the panel “properly” seeing the batteries but to no avail. Brand new fully charged batteries inserted after the removal put back routine, and if I am lucky it’s 5 minutes off the mount before it hangs. As they are backup batteries it defeats the object of having them. As many have said, a fundamental issue. My panel is a couple of years old, bought when the Wi-Fi version was released. I assume others who have bought recently still see the same issue. The panel does not realise the batteries are fully charged. Imagine if this was your iPhone!

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I have followed the routine suggested to get the panel “properly” seeing the batteries but to no avail. Brand new fully charged batteries inserted after the removal put back routine, and if I am lucky it’s 5 minutes off the mount before it hangs. As they are backup batteries it defeats the object of having them. As many have said, a fundamental issue. My panel is a couple of years old, bought when the Wi-Fi version was released. I assume others who have bought recently still see the same issue. The panel does not realise the batteries are fully charged. Imagine if this was your iPhone!
    Even with a fully charged battery working “correctly” having performed my biannual reset proceedure as described on this forum, I have always found that the Evotouch will only function for 5 or 10 minutes before complaining and asking to be put back on charge. As part of my reset procedure, I always let the batteries fully run down before putting the Evotouch back on the wall mount (without batteries) allowing to boot up then replacing batteries. It usually takes about an hour or two for the batteries to fully discharge and the Evotouch to actually shut down despite beeping continuously.

Totally unacceptable from a commercial product.

Automated Home Legend

I agree, I now remove the batteries and charge them in my external battery charger that discharges and then charges them. This also allows me to check if the batteries are doing OK.