Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Off An HR92

Automated Home Legend

Default Turning Off An HR92

Is there a way to turn an individual HR92 off other than removing it and turning in the black clogged wheel? There is a setting if you turn the top of the HR92 all the way back beyond 5C, headed “Off”. It does not seem to work as the next set point reached overrides it. It appears the route is either delete the zone or unpair the HR92 which most would not want to do, or just remove the HR92 but then you need to ensure it has a setting that won’t fire up the boiler or put it in a room where the temperature will always be greater than the set points for the removed HR92.

Automated Home Jr Member

I have the one in my spare room set to off, I just turned until it said off and that is where it has stayed.
    I don’t believe I did anything on the controller to ensure it stayed in the off position.
    Just wondered if you have anything else setup in that room to control the heating like a separate thermostat as that may be overriding the valve.

Automated Home Legend

No, it is only controlled by its schedule. Manually setting the control to off does not it seems override the schedule. I set it to off last night but heard the boiler fire up during the night and it will be this one radiator. It is set to 5c in the schedule and where it is can drop below that during the night. I checked this morning and the word “off” no longer shows. Clearly it is the same as the manual override to adjust a temperature, it only lasts until the next set point.

In due course this radiator is to be removed permanently so in the long term not a big issue. It does seem though that if I want it off I delete the room, remove the TRV and close the valve or if I want to retain the facility put the HR92 in a drawer in a different room where it will have no affect on anything.

Automated Home Guru

Would removing the batteries help?

Automated Home Jr Member

Looking at my controller, that room is set to 5c and set to permanent and the HR92 always reads off.
    Have you set the room to be permanently at 5c on the controller.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    No, it is only controlled by its schedule. Manually setting the control to off does not it seems override the schedule. I set it to off last night but heard the boiler fire up during the night and it will be this one radiator. It is set to 5c in the schedule and where it is can drop below that during the night. I checked this morning and the word “off” no longer shows. Clearly it is the same as the manual override to adjust a temperature, it only lasts until the next set point.
    I've tested OFF on HR92's many times and OFF means OFF.

It will completely ignore the schedule and remote manual overrides, furthermore OFF disables frost protection. (I tested this placing one in a freezer....it did not call for heat whereas just setting it to 5C did)

I've even posted about this on here in the past to warn folks that OFF disables frost protection. So I have absolutely no idea why yours is behaving the way you describe.

The only thing I can think of is the HR92 is perhaps rebooting due to a poor battery contact - this would disable OFF mode and revert to 20C, then your schedule would override it back to 5C again.

If you really want to disable a radiator for example to remove it to do painting I would just remove the HR92 and screw a painters cap over it. Turning the black wheel isn't sufficient - on my system the spring in the valve bodies is strong enough to spin the black wheel back to the fully open position as soon as I let go of it...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 24th January 2021 at 02:00 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Yes, but as the temperature drops below that the boiler fires up.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    I've tested OFF on HR92's many times and OFF means OFF.

It will completely ignore the schedule and remote manual overrides, furthermore OFF disables frost protection. (I tested this placing one in a freezer....it did not call for heat whereas just setting it to 5C did)

I've even posted about this on here in the past to warn folks that OFF disables frost protection. So I have absolutely no idea why yours is behaving the way you describe.

The only thing I can think of is the HR92 is perhaps rebooting due to a poor battery contact - this would disable OFF mode and revert to 20C, then your schedule would override it back to 5C again.

If you really want to disable a radiator for example to remove it to do painting I would just remove the HR92 and screw a painters cap over it. Turning the black wheel isn't sufficient - on my system the spring in the valve bodies is strong enough to spin the black wheel back to the fully open position as soon as I let go of it...
    I'll check the contacts for the battery but there is no doubt the Off setting was overridden by the next set point. It is not going to be a big issue though as shortly our boiler is to be replaced as well as all the radiators and this particular one will not be reinstalled. it would now be contrary to Building Regulations. As to boiler I am down to a Worcester Bosch 8000 or an Intergas Xtreme. Both about the same price. The Bosch installer is 1.25 miles from me the Intergas one isn't. If I did not have the Evohome system in place already I would probably go Bosh for their equivalent system is much nicer. It is also Apple compatible. They have moved with the times. Honeywell has not caught up. Will it?

Automated Home Jr Member

15AF6303-E84E-46D2-826B-9929EF92168E.jpg
    The user guide states that if you turn the HR92 to off it will stay off.
    As stated maybe check the batteries, when they are close to dying, my HR92’s tend to go to override at 20c until I change them, no low battery warning just keep resetting themselves to 20c
    Last edited by Billywizzo; 24th January 2021 at 02:44 PM.

Automated Home Legend

My answer to that from my experience is b...cks! Must check the contacts though. The batteries are a month old. I wonder if it’s a feature that has always been defective but nobody uses it so it has not surfaced before.