Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Off An HR92

Automated Home Jr Member

It works on mine, I turned it off and it always is off.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Billywizzo View Post
    I think what is causing it is the inbuilt frost protection. The HR92 reads off at present, I again set it to off this morning, but I can feel some heat in the radiator so it has been on despite the HR92 showing off. Temperatures have been below 5C.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I think what is causing it is the inbuilt frost protection. The HR92 reads off at present, I again set it to off this morning, but I can feel some heat in the radiator so it has been on despite the HR92 showing off. Temperatures have been below 5C.
    Frost protection is disabled in OFF mode. I've tested this before more than once with an HR92 screwed onto a spare valve body thrown into the freezer. Honest.

Are you sure that your valve body just isn't closing properly so there is a small amount of water leakage ? Perhaps enable Stroke 1 mode on that HR92 so that it pushes the valve closed harder and see if it still happens?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Billywizzo View Post
    Same here, if it's set to OFF it ignores the schedule. Our spare room got set to OFF accidentally one day and it was several days later that I realised it was never heating despite the schedule. The control panel shows the expected set point but the room just never heats. You have to check on the HR92 itself to see that it is set to OFF mode.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Same here, if it's set to OFF it ignores the schedule. Our spare room got set to OFF accidentally one day and it was several days later that I realised it was never heating despite the schedule. The control panel shows the expected set point but the room just never heats. You have to check on the HR92 itself to see that it is set to OFF mode.
    Done that. It has shown “off” all day. The Control Panel showed an override until 22:30 (a set point) with a set temperature of 5.5C now past that, no override shown, the set points on the Panel remain as before but the HR92 is turned off and says “off”. The radiator has been hot though. Outside temperature is currently -2.5C and the room the rad is in is 3.5C, the HR92 though is sending back that the temperature is 10C. Not surprising, the radiator has been on when it shouldn’t have been and of course the HR92 gets its temperature from where it is on the radiator. A separate thermostat in the room some distance away shows it as 3.5c. I always find there is a difference between what the HR92s say and what a separate thermostat in the room elsewhere says. For that reason in two rooms I use the round thermostat as the sensor. I will try swapping the HR92 with another and see if that makes a difference.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Done that. It has shown “off” all day. The Control Panel showed an override until 22:30 (a set point) with a set temperature of 5.5C now past that, no override shown, the set points on the Panel remain as before but the HR92 is turned off and says “off”. The radiator has been hot though. Outside temperature is currently -2.5C and the room the rad is in is 3.5C, the HR92 though is sending back that the temperature is 10C. Not surprising, the radiator has been on when it shouldn’t have been and of course the HR92 gets its temperature from where it is on the radiator. A separate thermostat in the room some distance away shows it as 3.5c. I always find there is a difference between what the HR92s say and what a separate thermostat in the room elsewhere says. For that reason in two rooms I use the round thermostat as the sensor. I will try swapping the HR92 with another and see if that makes a difference.
    Addendum. I have swapped over a couple of HR92s putting the one thought to be faulty in a spare room that is not heated although it will not go below about 13C tonight anyway. I altered the schedules in each so that the set temperature is 5c over night until 0730. I then turned both HR92s to the off position.

The app though for each room does not say they are turned off but shows each set to 5C, and since turning to off a picture of a clock and the time of the next set point. The control Panel says there is an override. I now wait until tomorrow!

Automated Home Legend

Morning has broken!

I swapped the HR92 with one from another room. I set both to Off and ensured that over night the temperature setting in the relevant schedules was 5C. The replacement one in the conservatory where the issue arises, did the same as the original, it remained showing “Off” and the schedule had not budged from 5C but the radiator had come on and off. The system is clearly overriding the off setting in the event of temperature going below 5C. I can understand why it would do this but a customer should surely have an off facility if desired? In the light of other’s experiences being contrary to mine could this be due to an upgrade in the software? Mine in the control panel was updated a couple of weeks ago.

Currently the radiator is set to off as I have removed the HR92 and turned the black knob in to close the valve. It’s off. The relevant HR92 is in another room that will always be above 5c to avoid any funnies happening. At present it is next to a Y87RF thermostat, the nice round one. The HR92 reads 16C the Y87 reads 15.5, the same as the HR92s in that room to which it is paired.

It is a nuisance this arises but for me ultimately not a big issue for this radiator is to be removed in due course once a decision has been made on boilers and the work to be done. Not quite relevant to this posting, but the new installation is held up whilst I try to find out the route of the incoming gas pipe. It leaves the meter at 22mm but somewhere is stepped down to 15mm at the current boiler but I don’t know where. If it is not accessible to change it to the 22mm for where a combi will be then it will be a system boiler installed. I have written to the original builder of the house to see if any records are held but the house is 23 years old. My next door neighbour had a new boiler installed by BG. God knows why BG were used. They put in a new 22mm pipe from the meter at the front of his house along the outside front wall and round the outside to where the boiler is. A lazy and unsightly solution to the issue. Don’t want that.

Automated Home Guru

Presumably, setting to 'off' and immediately removing the batteries should keep the TRV closed?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    Presumably, setting to 'off' and immediately removing the batteries should keep the TRV closed?
    Yes it would, another way. I would though see lots of messages in the log file. Although a change from those saying contact has been lost with my hot water sensor!

Automated Home Jr Member

Are you sure it is not the frost protection working. I know someone has said that if you turn it to off, frost protection is disabled but the instructions state that it will still work if the heating is on.
    Did the HR92 you put in the other room stay off or did that heat the radiator in the other room.
    Also when you removed the HR92 from the radiator, did you do the reset on it by winding the black knob fully open before refitting the HR92. This is because it will do a cycle check after it has been refitted.
    Apart from that I cannot suggest anything else.
    The one I have set to off, stays off and the radiator does come on, but the room never gets below 5c so maybe that is why as that is the frost protection trigger temperature.