• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garmcqui
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2015

Evohome cycle rate and other settings

Hi all,

I’m looking for advice on the settings in the attached screenshot. Is 3 cycles per hour with a minimum on time of 3 mins normal for a gas boiler?

FB63698B-B385-41D0-913A-52B8C3F66673.jpg

Thanks
  • kevinsmart
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by garmcqui View Post
    Hi all,

I’m looking for advice on the settings in the attached screenshot. Is 3 cycles per hour with a minimum on time of 3 mins normal for a gas boiler?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1760[/ATTACH]

Thanks
    For a gas boiler, I would set to 6 cycles per hour, 1 minute minimum.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
      For a gas boiler, I would set to 6 cycles per hour, 1 minute minimum.
      Agreed, 6 cycles per hour is optimal for a gas boiler and this is also the default. I've tried 3 and 12 cycles per hour and both have different drawbacks for a gas boiler.

I use a minimum on time of 1 minute as well - if you set the minimum on time too high you add a lot of "dead band" to low load control meaning that a significantly larger heat demand has to be generated by zones before the boiler will fire, this can result in rooms going significantly under temperature before the boiler finally wakes up and starts operating. I found this especially so with low heat demands for bedroom radiators in the night.

Comment

• garmcqui
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jan 2015

thanks both.

And what say we for an old, 43kW, non-condensing oil boiler? (This is what my parents have).

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by garmcqui View Post
          thanks both.

And what say we for an old, 43kW, non-condensing oil boiler? (This is what my parents have).
          Oil fired boilers should be 3 cycles per hour per Honeywell documentation. Not sure off hand what the recommended minimum on time would be but probably more than one minute. Anyone reading who has an oil fired boiler who can comment?

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2016

Bear in mind that the cycle rate applies to zone valves, as well as to the boiler. If your valves are controlled by TPI, then they will open and shut as many times each hour as your cycle rate. I have set my cycle rate to 3 per hour, not for anything to do with the boiler, but to reduce the wear and tear on my zone valves. While the zone is within the +/- 1.5oC band its valve will open and close in each 20 minute period (i.e. six operations per hour - it would have been 12 with the default setting). My valves take 60 seconds to open or close so that still means that they are moving for 10% of the time. So far, none of mine has worn out but I do worry that this TPI cycling is not good for their longevity.

This was discussed in this thread earlier.

I appreciate that I am in a minority on this forum in not using HR92s universally and instead relying on zoning of my house using zone valves. Most Evohome users have HR92s on all radiators and so lock their zone valves open. In that case, the TPI control affects only the boiler and what I have written above is irrelevant.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
              Bear in mind that the cycle rate applies to zone valves, as well as to the boiler. If your valves are controlled by TPI, then they will open and shut as many times each hour as your cycle rate. I have set my cycle rate to 3 per hour, not for anything to do with the boiler, but to reduce the wear and tear on my zone valves. While the zone is within the +/- 1.5oC band its valve will open and close in each 20 minute period (i.e. six operations per hour - it would have been 12 with the default setting). My valves take 60 seconds to open or close so that still means that they are moving for 10% of the time. So far, none of mine has worn out but I do worry that this TPI cycling is not good for their longevity.

This was discussed in this thread earlier.

I appreciate that I am in a minority on this forum in not using HR92s universally and instead relying on zoning of my house using zone valves. Most Evohome users have HR92s on all radiators and so lock their zone valves open. In that case, the TPI control affects only the boiler and what I have written above is irrelevant.
              This is also true when using OpenTherm, so in that instance the Cycle Rate and Min On time parameters DO NOT affect the Boiler control, but only affect all the other relays in the system. It's quite strange that Honeywell didn't allow different parameters to be set to the different valves, no matter how they may be used. So a zone valve, a boiler relay and even the main motorised zone relays all inherit the single common parameters set. It was the only thing that drove me back to look at the old HM80, because that can have it's own parameters, different from the relays.

Comment

• Fly100
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2018

I dont have those settings, is it because Im set up as Zone Valve rather a boiler ? If so is it possible to set the cycle rate in that set up.

Many thanks,

Fly

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

What's in your System Parameters screen inside the Installer settings menu?

Comment

• Fly100
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                    What's in your System Parameters screen inside the Installer settings menu?
                    This is what it shows.

IMG_2091.jpg

I have mo idea why its upside down, ots correct on laptop !!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Fly100; 3 February 2021, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

Do you have any relays boxes in your entire system?

Comment

• Fly100
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                        Do you have any relays boxes in your entire system?
                        No, not that Im aware of. Wiring Box and Zone valve. As far as Im aware the Zone Valve switching is how the boiler is called for. Ie Zone valve opens- 2 secs later Boiler fires.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

But what is controlling the Zone Valves?

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Dec 2016

....and what do your "System Summary" and "System Devices" look like? Here are mine (inc. "System Parameters", which you posted above for your system):

20210204_081007 (1).jpg
                            20210204_073323 (1).jpg
                            20210204_073351 (1).jpg

Does your "System Summary" show "Zone Valve" as the controlled item(s)?
                            And does your "System Devices" show "Appliance Control" as 'Boiler' or 'None'?

And is your controller connected to the internet? (The System Parameters screen looks different if it is not. The 'Cold Weather Boost' item only shows on mine when connected.)
                            (My software versions: 02.00.19.33; WiFi 02.00.17.00)
                            Last edited by Edinburgh2000; 4 February 2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• wilfman
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Nov 2019

Interestingly I was looking this morning for the cycle rate on my system and I can no longer see it in system parameters my screen is the same as Fly100s. I have a 12 zones with BDR91s(?) controlling the hot water and heating through a 3 port valve. Everything is working normally by the looks of it but cannot see the settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X