Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Introducing the HGI80 alternative - the latest DIY kid on the block

Automated Home Sr Member

The second batch has almost gone. The folks who requested stock updates have had their chance and I have TWO available.

I hope to have some more later this month - the best way to get early access to these is to request a stock update and then you'll get first notice of the new units.

Automated Home Sr Member

BTW. The current batch and all future ones are different.
    I've dropped support on the PCB for the green cc1101 modules,

Instead the PCB now has bread-board friendly headers that give access to all the available atmega32u4 signals from the SSM module.

The next FW update to evofw3 will be to abandon the arduino gui for building and switch to make.
    This removes the need for the custom arduino board definitions

Together these should make it easier for anyone who wants to add additional hardware or use alternative platforms

Automated Home Sr Member

Automated Home Sr Member

There are now 50 SSM modules in the wild! Thanks everyone

They can be found in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland.
    The Netherlands, Germany, Norway, Spain, Romania and Belgium.

More stock will be available from early July.

Very pleased that nobody has complained that their module doesn't work :-)

Automated Home Guru

It's been a long while since I did any programming! I have a unit now could someone please supply, or point to, a 101 guide on what software is required; where to get it from and any other setup procedures required. It sounds simple enough though once I get going and I'm sure it's buried somewhere in the chat. Cheers Chris

Automated Home Legend

Chris, It's important that people realise what they have bought. The SSM simply provides a gateway to capture, process and report all the Evohome radio traffic, in a text format. So first off, on it's own it won't do very much - unless you are super human and can decipher a string of numbers on the go. Just for a laugh, you could open any Serial port program like PuTTY or similar at the COM port that the SSM creates and you will see the SSM in action, busy doing its stuff.
    What you really want/need is something that can take that output and make sense of it. A message parser. There are a few that I am aware of.
    There is Domoticz, where you simply follow the Wiki to install it and configure the SSM like you would do the HGI80, except you have none of the driver installation hassles. This is the oldest and most stable UI that I am aware of. This will serve most people.
    Then there is Home Assistant. This is more modern and regularly maintained. This uses a custom component called evohome_cc which in turn uses evohome_rf. This is probably THE best in terms of most up to date parsing of messages.
    You can also use evohome_rf on its own, so you benefit from the latest parsers but without the pretty UI that Home Assistant brings. And this too is used by a few people.
    Lastly, there are other home grown parsers that people wrote over the years. But they tend to be less general purpose and not as well maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by petep View Post
    There are now 50 SSM modules in the wild! Thanks everyone

They can be found in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland.
    The Netherlands, Germany, Norway, Spain, Romania and Belgium.

More stock will be available from early July.

Very pleased that nobody has complained that their module doesn't work :-)
    Hi Petep, Had I been able to post on the forum (waiting for validation) I would had a moan, but time being a great healer I persevered and found that the solution was not with the module.

The issue I was having was with Home Assistant on the Raspberry pi (which was working well with my evohome system) but no matter what I tried (lots of _cc and _rf and drivers and others) it resulted in Nada, so I tried an install of Domoticz firstly on Win 10 and as if by magic the module sprang into life, I then pushed my luck and installed Domoticz on the raspberry pi, and again the magic happened without any further intervention on my part.

Congrats on a great product.

Automated Home Legend

Domoticz definitely does a better job at getting a new user up and running. I've done a lot of work to keep Domoticz up to date, but I wish it was easier to maintain. Each time I make a change, I need to go for a walk afterwards. The codebase is such a spaghetti.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I wish it was easier to maintain. Each time I make a change, I need to go for a walk afterwards. The codebase is such a spaghetti.
    On behalf of myself and no doubt countless others.... Thank you