Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the HGI80 alternative - the latest DIY kid on the block

Automated Home Guru

Not for a Luddite like me, but I am sure there will be several interested, may be worth a few PMs to any of the more techie members if they have not posted for a while to alert them to the possibility. Just watch the Intellectual property situation. Don’t want Honeywell on your back, could get expensive.

Automated Home Legend

This isn't doing anything more than the NanoCUL or RFBee was doing. It's just does it better, a lot better infact. All previous DIY platforms were running into issues because of using a slower microcontroller, clock or badly written firmware. This new platform attempts to fix those inadequacies and has firmware written specially for it. And to be honest, if the HGI80 was available in the UK, the need to create something from scratch would never have existed.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi, count me in for an assembled unit please.

Automated Home Jr Member

+1 For the fully assembled unit. Thanks

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    This isn't doing anything more than the NanoCUL or RFBee was doing. It's just does it better, a lot better infact. All previous DIY platforms were running into issues because of using a slower microcontroller, clock or badly written firmware. This new platform attempts to fix those inadequacies and has firmware written specially for it. And to be honest, if the HGI80 was available in the UK, the need to create something from scratch would never have existed.
    Still something to take into account. When it comes to licensed protocols there is a difference between DIY and selling off completed items.

I'll definitely give this a go, but as the finished project appears to bulky for my appliance I think I'll skip the PCB and try to print a case for it. Ordering this from UK, Brussels is probably going to rip me off anyway if I'd want the assembled unit

Automated Home Legend

Before we take any money or order any parts, I will check this with Resideo. This isn't a business or ever going to be one. It's a project for this community. And if Resideo isn't going to like this, it will go nowhere. At this stage I was simply trying to gauge interest. I was actually hoping there would be demand for the blank PCBs because even for a prototype we needed to order more than we needed.
    At the most we will just sell this as an Arduino platform and let people to use it as they please.

Just market it as an update nanoCUL arduino. What people choose to do with it after that is up to them.

£10 for a bare PCB seems a little steep, who are you using as your PCB house ?

Automated Home Legend

Sorry, the £10 includes signed for UK shipping. But its also high because we have not mass produced a board. It's been made by one of the prototype manufacturers.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Sorry, the £10 includes signed for UK shipping. But its also high because we have not mass produced a board. It's been made by one of the prototype manufacturers.
    Actually make that £5 + shipping for the bare PCB. I had incorrectly assumed parcel shipping. A bare PCB could easily go through as a letter.

Automated Home Jr Member

Great work. Thanks. Count me in for an assembled unit please Bruce. Prefer an SMA type antenna connector rather than a pigtail .. but not a problem if you choose otherwise.