• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Struggling Boiler

My new boiler is to be installed on Tuesday. In advance of that my installer asked me to add a chemical to the system and get it circulated in order to begin the cleaning and flushing process. I did that this morning and then took every HR92 off, fully opened up the valves and set the temperature to 26c in order to ensure an HR92 may not switch the system off. It really showed current weaknesses. After an hour most got to 20c or thereabouts, one in the en suite got to 24.5c 26c? No. Never noticed this before because Evohome is usually happily controlling zones. Normally I can get a room quite high if wanted but not it seems if I want all rooms so heated. Some balancing lies ahead no doubt after the installation. However, each of my radiators did actually get up to similar temperatures at the same time although not 26 and then it seemed would not go higher. I suspect they would given more time. There was absolutely no difference to what each got to apart from my hall radiator which was slightly lower than the others. Perhaps the system is already balanced. I will run the same experiment once the new boiler has been installed.
  • mtmcgavock
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2017

What boiler did you end up going for?

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Intergas Xclusive 36. For many years now Intergas keeps being recommended above others, in the last 6 years more so. I obviously felt I could not ignore that. Latterly I have seen independent heating advisors also recommending them alongside two others - Ravenheat and Viessmann. By “independent “ I understand they actual are, unlike the “Best Boilers for 2021” type sites. Intergas were first recommended to me about 15 years or so ago - by my heating service man. Let’s hope my choice is good!!

Comment

• StuartP
        • Feb 2004

Went for an Xclusive 36 a couple of months ago, can't fault it apart from the fact that the utility room it's in is now colder (no rad in the room), as the boiler is better insulated than the previous boiler.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          Intergas Xclusive 36. For many years now Intergas keeps being recommended above others, in the last 6 years more so. I obviously felt I could not ignore that. Latterly I have seen independent heating advisors also recommending them alongside two others - Ravenheat and Viessmann. By “independent “ I understand they actual are, unlike the “Best Boilers for 2021” type sites. Intergas were first recommended to me about 15 years or so ago - by my heating service man. Let’s hope my choice is good!!
          Combi I take it? Hope it all goes well.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Yup, a combi.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by StuartP View Post
              Went for an Xclusive 36 a couple of months ago, can't fault it apart from the fact that the utility room it's in is now colder (no rad in the room), as the boiler is better insulated than the previous boiler.
              I expect the same. My utility room radiator is never on. But the future?! I was thinking of removing the utility room radiator but from what you say, not yet!
              Last edited by G4RHL; 7 February 2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• JCK
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2015

Any reason why you did not select the extreme version with the high water output. I am planning a replacement of my own 16 year old WB 35 CDI combi, and like the turn down of the integras with opentherm and it clearly works with evohome , makes sense to me , I just have a dislike of alum heat x with acid condensate, the WB has that . , I like the Viessmann 200 , fab turn down but with no opentherm , I could set flow for 65 deg and evohome with handle the rest with TPI , I really hate the new rubber hoses. and too much emphasis on weather compensation which is not for me)

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

The Xstream 36 was initially my preferred choice until I realised that it is the same as the Xclusive apart from two things. Firstly the fact your DMH comes though a little quicker because there is a pre heater of sorts yet most manage with a combi quite happily without that. Secondly it costs £300 more.

Comment

• StuartP
                    • Feb 2004

I came to the same conclusion, £300 more for a 10% increase in flow rate. The additional heat recovering is also relatively new, so not as tested as perhaps the rest of Intergas's range. You can if you want to have the Xclusive hold the water in the DHW at a preheat temperature, it can even auto learn usage patterns.

The other big difference over our old boiler, is the reduction in noise, alot of the time the only way you know it's on is the glowing flame on the front.

Comment

Working...
                    X