• Show
Clear All
  • Niktheguru
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2020

Evohome not so smart anymore? Look at drayton wiser

Hey guys,

Love this forum. Always good info.
    I've had evohome now for about 4 year and it really does work for us. I'm just a bit surprised that it hasn't really evolved that much in this time.
    I happened to stumble on a youtube video for drayton wisers smart home system and was impressed by some of the innovations. (certainly the TRVs look nicer, the app is more fine tuned, the room digital thermostats look a bit naff though)
    In particular, there is a nice reporting/analysis pages regarding your heating use and I was wondering why this isn't possible on evohome. (https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/wiser-heat-report)
    Surely there can be a way to get some insight into how you use the system.
    The app is great for the timer and manually changing your temps, but its really quite basic. Considering the cost of evohome compared to its competitors, do you think its actually starting to lag behind?
    (i know things like nest etc arent the same, and hive havent built the most reliable customisable TRVs, but there are some good competitors now giving it a run for its money) I'm not sure if I were to buy a new system it would still be evohome.

What are everyones thoughts?
  • garymtitley
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2019

The thing is with Evohome is that it works,I’m not really bothered about how the app looks or anything else because it does what it’s supposed to.My system is running opentherm and again it works very well.I’m very happy with it and it’s a well proven product,just my own views of course.

Comment

• killa47
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Niktheguru View Post
      Hey guys,

I've had evohome now for about 4 year and it really does work for us. I'm just a bit surprised that it hasn't really evolved that much in this time.
      I happened to stumble on a youtube video for drayton wisers smart home system and was impressed by some of the innovations. (certainly the TRVs look nicer, the app is more fine tuned, the room digital thermostats look a bit naff though)
      The app is great for the timer and manually changing your temps, but its really quite basic. Considering the cost of evohome compared to its competitors, do you think its actually starting to lag behind?
      I'm not sure if I were to buy a new system it would still be evohome.

Agree with all your comments. It's a pity Honeywell/Resideo haven't been as smart as they could have been in maintaining/updating/improving the Evohome system.
      I think if it wasn't for the shared support provided by this forum's members, Evohome as a product would have sunk and disappeared long ago.
      Last edited by killa47; 7 February 2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• rarrarrar
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2011

Hey guys,

Love this forum. Always good info.
        In particular, there is a nice reporting/analysis pages regarding your heating use and I was wondering why this isn't possible on evohome. (https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/wiser-heat-report)
        Surely there can be a way to get some insight into how you use the system.
        (i know things like nest etc arent the same, and hive havent built the most reliable customisable TRVs, but there are some good competitors now giving it a run for its money) I'm not sure if I were to buy a new system it would still be evohome.

The one feature that sold me on EvoHome was that it was NOT dependent on an internet connection or a Smartphone App to run it . The programming is all stored in the controller and even if Honeywell pulled the plug , started to charge fees or had a server outrage the system would carry on working.

Comment

• CT1
          Automated Home Guru
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by rarrarrar View Post
          The one feature that sold me on EvoHome was that it was NOT dependent on an internet connection or a Smartphone App to run it . The programming is all stored in the controller and even if Honeywell pulled the plug , started to charge fees or had a server outrage the system would carry on working.
          Having just lost manufacturer support for my solar inverter, I total agree that lack of dependence on remote servers is a must for any critical systems. I know that Evohome looks a bit dated but, I am a KISS advocate, so find the lack of fancy features and interfaces a plus. I would appreciate a more responsive touch screen, but that is not essential and I really hope they finally get around to fixing basic problems, such as battery management and contacts, first.

Comment

• Niktheguru
            Automated Home Lurker
            • May 2020

I agree that it shouldn't be reliant on the Internet, but it just seems for its cost its now pretty basic. When I got it there wasn't much that could compete with it, but looking now it seems to have stood still and others are racing ahead at a lower price point with more features and support.

Comment

• rarrarrar
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2011

I agree that it shouldn't be reliant on the Internet, but it just seems for its cost its now pretty basic. When I got it there wasn't much that could compete with it, but looking now it seems to have stood still and others are racing ahead at a lower price point with more features and support.
              The details on the Drayton system suggest it will carry on working if you loose the internet connection and the App will work using th elocal wifi.
              However elsewhere the Product details say you do need a broadband connection .
              The reporting does look good though.
              The Smart TRV heads dont appear to have any indication of the temperature settings , which makes it difficult if you like to tweek the temperature via the TRV thermostats as I do.

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Evohome hasn't been updated?

I presume everyone missed the very significant controller firmware update last year?

Comment

• anniesboy
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Aug 2019

Best recent update (for me) is the cold weather boost,especially at the moment.

However I do wish that Honeywell produced information /instructions as to use the whole thing, as some functions are for some reason "hidden" or difficult to find.

Comment

• SteveP
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post

I presume everyone missed the very significant controller firmware update last year?
                    yep agree - the latest updates have made a significant improvement in the comfort levels in my house and ease of use with an older boiler Evohome may be missing "shiny toys" such as analysis but I prefer to get the underlying system working correctly first and not being reliant on remote servers for daily operational use is a BIG plus with me

Comment

• CT1
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Apr 2016

Not rolled out yet, work in progress? I don’t think users should have to request an update. If they don’t get a move on winter could be over before all users are updated?

Comment

• CT1
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Apr 2016

Often the fancy graphics and analytics are the things that need an internet connection. I would not have a problem if these were provided as an add on with the basic functionality and display all being local and not reliant on internet or even local network. The problem is that once a supplier goes down the internet route there is a tendency for mission creep and to much moves on line. I prefer to leave it to the excellent techies on this forum to provide these extras and let Resideo provide the key functionality. I have been stung more than once when a supplier stops support for an otherwise working system, either because they have gone bust, or just don’t want to support something that is no longer in production.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Last year? What did it do? Can’t remember any dramatic change. I got an update this year but so far as aware it is not a public release. Anyway, will all customers be told when it happens. I have my doubts.

As a product though it works. It is not overly complex. The installation manual makes it so.
                          Last edited by G4RHL; 8 February 2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• CT1
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                            Last year? What did it do? Can’t remember any dramatic change. I got an update this year but so far as aware it is not a public release. Anyway, will all customers be told when it happens. I have my doubts.

As a product though it works. It is not overly complex. The installation manual makes it so.
                            I think Paul is referring to the beta firmware offered to forum members last year (2020). This will? be released this year (2021).

Comment

Working...
                            X