Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evohome not so smart anymore? Look at drayton wiser

Automated Home Lurker

Default Evohome not so smart anymore? Look at drayton wiser

Hey guys,

Love this forum. Always good info.
    I've had evohome now for about 4 year and it really does work for us. I'm just a bit surprised that it hasn't really evolved that much in this time.
    I happened to stumble on a youtube video for drayton wisers smart home system and was impressed by some of the innovations. (certainly the TRVs look nicer, the app is more fine tuned, the room digital thermostats look a bit naff though)
    In particular, there is a nice reporting/analysis pages regarding your heating use and I was wondering why this isn't possible on evohome. (https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/wiser-heat-report)
    Surely there can be a way to get some insight into how you use the system.
    The app is great for the timer and manually changing your temps, but its really quite basic. Considering the cost of evohome compared to its competitors, do you think its actually starting to lag behind?
    (i know things like nest etc arent the same, and hive havent built the most reliable customisable TRVs, but there are some good competitors now giving it a run for its money) I'm not sure if I were to buy a new system it would still be evohome.

What are everyones thoughts?

Automated Home Jr Member

The thing is with Evohome is that it works,I’m not really bothered about how the app looks or anything else because it does what it’s supposed to.My system is running opentherm and again it works very well.I’m very happy with it and it’s a well proven product,just my own views of course.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Niktheguru View Post
    Hey guys,

I've had evohome now for about 4 year and it really does work for us. I'm just a bit surprised that it hasn't really evolved that much in this time.
    I happened to stumble on a youtube video for drayton wisers smart home system and was impressed by some of the innovations. (certainly the TRVs look nicer, the app is more fine tuned, the room digital thermostats look a bit naff though)
    The app is great for the timer and manually changing your temps, but its really quite basic. Considering the cost of evohome compared to its competitors, do you think its actually starting to lag behind?
    I'm not sure if I were to buy a new system it would still be evohome.

Agree with all your comments. It's a pity Honeywell/Resideo haven't been as smart as they could have been in maintaining/updating/improving the Evohome system.
    I think if it wasn't for the shared support provided by this forum's members, Evohome as a product would have sunk and disappeared long ago.
    Last edited by killa47; 7th February 2021 at 04:06 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hey guys,

Love this forum. Always good info.
    In particular, there is a nice reporting/analysis pages regarding your heating use and I was wondering why this isn't possible on evohome. (https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/wiser-heat-report)
    Surely there can be a way to get some insight into how you use the system.
    (i know things like nest etc arent the same, and hive havent built the most reliable customisable TRVs, but there are some good competitors now giving it a run for its money) I'm not sure if I were to buy a new system it would still be evohome.

The one feature that sold me on EvoHome was that it was NOT dependent on an internet connection or a Smartphone App to run it . The programming is all stored in the controller and even if Honeywell pulled the plug , started to charge fees or had a server outrage the system would carry on working.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rarrarrar View Post
    The one feature that sold me on EvoHome was that it was NOT dependent on an internet connection or a Smartphone App to run it . The programming is all stored in the controller and even if Honeywell pulled the plug , started to charge fees or had a server outrage the system would carry on working.
    Having just lost manufacturer support for my solar inverter, I total agree that lack of dependence on remote servers is a must for any critical systems. I know that Evohome looks a bit dated but, I am a KISS advocate, so find the lack of fancy features and interfaces a plus. I would appreciate a more responsive touch screen, but that is not essential and I really hope they finally get around to fixing basic problems, such as battery management and contacts, first.

Automated Home Lurker

I agree that it shouldn't be reliant on the Internet, but it just seems for its cost its now pretty basic. When I got it there wasn't much that could compete with it, but looking now it seems to have stood still and others are racing ahead at a lower price point with more features and support.

Automated Home Jr Member

I agree that it shouldn't be reliant on the Internet, but it just seems for its cost its now pretty basic. When I got it there wasn't much that could compete with it, but looking now it seems to have stood still and others are racing ahead at a lower price point with more features and support.
    The details on the Drayton system suggest it will carry on working if you loose the internet connection and the App will work using th elocal wifi.
    However elsewhere the Product details say you do need a broadband connection .
    The reporting does look good though.
    The Smart TRV heads dont appear to have any indication of the temperature settings , which makes it difficult if you like to tweek the temperature via the TRV thermostats as I do.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Evohome hasn't been updated?

I presume everyone missed the very significant controller firmware update last year?

Automated Home Sr Member

Best recent update (for me) is the cold weather boost,especially at the moment.

However I do wish that Honeywell produced information /instructions as to use the whole thing, as some functions are for some reason "hidden" or difficult to find.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Evohome hasn't been updated?

I presume everyone missed the very significant controller firmware update last year?
    yep agree - the latest updates have made a significant improvement in the comfort levels in my house and ease of use with an older boiler Evohome may be missing "shiny toys" such as analysis but I prefer to get the underlying system working correctly first and not being reliant on remote servers for daily operational use is a BIG plus with me