Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to log room temps and set points - IFTTT?

Automated Home Jr Member

This how it looks like.
    Remember you have to get an (free) API key for this to work (https://openweathermap.org/price).
    Also, you can't select any city, try a mayor one in your vicinity first and then refine.

tempsnip.jpg

Automated Home Guru

I thought something was wrong because the documentation at https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Open_Weather_Map says that the panel will have more fields after the <location> box

It's now working so it seems that I hadn't waited long enough for the API key to become activate (I assumed it was instantaneous). I'm using lat/long for location but can't find anything that specifies the required format (all sexagesimal, part sexagesmial and part decimal, wholly decimal with N/S E/W or signed decimal). Signed decimal makes it work but how can I check that it's interpreting it as I think, to give the correct location?
    Thanks for your help BTW. A PI arrived today so there may be more questions when I find a cooking tuit ;-)

Automated Home Guru

In case this is of use to someone else ...
    • It seemed that "signed decimal" lat/long for my location was working, but the data didn't update; changing the location to the name of my (small!) village instantly got things working.
    • I've now got Domoticz running on the Raspberry Pi and I'm surprised at how easy it was. Although my background is IT and electronics I've steered clear of Raspberrys and Arduinos because these days I just want things to work, rather than dabbling. However, it only took about an hour from unpacking to getting the Pi running Domoticz - the longest parts were finding a spare keyboard and monitor (not strictly needed, but easier) and finding out how to set a static IP address (I don't speak Linux) but Mr Google had the answer.

If anyone else is hesitating about using a Pi for Domoticz I'd strongly recommend to "go for it".
    Thanks to Jack007 for the unintended push down this route.

(BTW, I'm very impressed by the Pi and am now wondering about using it for a home security system.)

Automated Home Guru

I’ve been thinking about Domoticz and was pleased to discover that there’s a version for Synology NAS, but then I discovered that it’s no longer being maintained. I could, apparently, use Docker (which runs on Synology) but couldn’t work out how it would be installed. Then I wondered if it would support the recommended HG180, or equivalent, equivalent hardware...

I’m reluctant to go for a Pi as I have too much hardware already! I can cope with Linux, however.

Has anyone any experience of Domoticz on Synology?

Automated Home Legend

I used to use Domoticz on Synology for years. But then gave up and moved over to QNAP, for the Virtualisation Station. Now I run Domoticz in an Ubuntu VM. I think Synology too has a Virtualisation platform now. Consider that rather than the Docker package.

Automated Home Jr Member

Having played around I can see the benefit of having Domoticz running on a dedicated system so I've ordered a Raspberry Pi - thanks for leading me to another learning curve and another pile of "to-do"s ;-)
    I forgot to ask; What kind of RPi did you get?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jack007 View Post
    I forgot to ask; What kind of RPi did you get?
    A 3B+, as a safe option in my ignorant state.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

A 3B+ will happily run Domoticz. But do be aware that Raspberry Pis are notorious for chewing through the limited write-lifetime of SD cards. There's all kinds of tricks available to minimise this if you google it.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    A 3B+ will happily run Domoticz. But do be aware that Raspberry Pis are notorious for chewing through the limited write-lifetime of SD cards. There's all kinds of tricks available to minimise this if you google it.
    The best thing to do is buy high quality SD cards and of reasonable size if you want reliability and longevity. The write endurance difference between an el-cheapo and a good name brand like Samsung or Sandisk is huge, something like an order of magnitude.

I used to do a lot of development and testing on Pi's that required a lot of re-imaging of the cards and I destroyed about five different cheap 8GB SD cards in the space of two years. The failure mode is nearly always the same - the card goes silently read only so it continues to accept writes and pretend to the operating system that the data is being written but nothing on the card really changes - it remains frozen at one point in time, and this really confuses the hell out of the operating system.

If you buy a card with higher write performance it usually has better wear levelling algorithms and write endurance - a card intended for video recording/dashcams etc is a good choice for write endurance. I've had no problems with Samsung Evo cards or Sandisk Extreme Pro either in Pi's or Dashcams...

Also, the bigger the card is the more natural write endurance it has all else being equal as the writes can be spread across more cells. Even though the application might only call for an 8GB card, a 32GB card is so cheap these days you might as well get the bigger size and it will last a LOT longer as it would have 4x the write endurance for the same series of card.

Going from a cheap no-name brand 8GB card to a high write performance known brand 32GB card can increase the write endurance by 10, 20x or more....to the point where it will last for years running a regular distribution like Raspbian without special log pruning tweaks etc.

I have a Pi running on a 16GB Sandisk Extreme card - it does graphing of my Evohome system using Evohome-Munin (it also used to run Domoticz but I shut that down a year ago) it receives outside data from my weather station for graphing using an RTL-SDR adaptor, it is also the DHCP and DNS server for the network. It has been going for years now without a hiccup.

By the way, although it runs quite hot, for non video playback uses the Pi 4 is outstanding and dramatically faster and more capable than previous models - especially the USB ports. I have a Pi 4 running Volumio for audio playback and it does this job far better than any previous model especially when using a USB DAC due to finally having a proper USB implementation. For something like Domoticz I would recommend a Pi 4 although the Pi 3+ is more than capable.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 2nd March 2021 at 12:14 PM.

Automated Home Guru

It seems fortuitous that I opted for a Sandisk 32Gb card.

Although I like Domoticz I'd thought it would enable detailed info for a period to be displayed, but it seems that it will only display detail for a 7 day period. My memory of the graphs available from ConradConnect (before they started charging) is that they were more useful than those from Domoticz. What other options are there for displaying detailed info from Evohome?
    What is Evohome-Munin?