Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to log room temps and set points - IFTTT?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DorrisMancer View Post
    It seems fortuitous that I opted for a Sandisk 32Gb card.

Although I like Domoticz I'd thought it would enable detailed info for a period to be displayed, but it seems that it will only display detail for a 7 day period. My memory of the graphs available from ConradConnect (before they started charging) is that they were more useful than those from Domoticz. What other options are there for displaying detailed info from Evohome?
    What is Evohome-Munin?
    Evohome-munin is a python plugin for the monitoring/graphing software Munin.

Although I didn't write it originally I've been defacto maintaining it for the last couple of years by submitting PR's to the author - I'm not sure if he still has an Evohome system or not but he seems to accept my PR's...

It will graph zone temperatures as well as hot water. It's supposed to graph outside temperature as well using an internet based forecast but that seems to be broken at the moment due to the python weather API it uses (pywapi) no longer working - and I haven't had time to figure out why it's not working. (I run a bespoke version of the script which reads the actual temperature from my outdoor weather station instead by using an RTL-SDR receiver)

Here's an example graph:

I prefer its graphs over Domoticz because they are much larger and more detailed, have day, week, month and year summary graphs, and provided you set the data retention policy in munin correctly you can get full daily resolution data recorded for a whole year, so you can go back to a certain month 6 months ago and keep zooming in down to the day level in that month. (It has click and drag zoom on the graphs)

Because it uses the V1 Honeywell API it records temperatures to two decimal places without the usual rounding you see on the controller.

I won't lie - it's not as easy as Domoticz to set up, its a fairly manual set up process which cobbles together a few different bits and pieces and you need some reasonable familiarity with Linux to get it up and running, including installing and configuring Munin itself - something which I myself have only done once about 4 years ago!

If you do want to give it a go feel free to ask me about it - although I'm not that familiar with Munin itself, I do know the Evohome munin plugin quite well even though I haven't touched the code for a while.

Hardware requirements aren't very demanding - I'm running it on an original Pi 1 with 16GB SD card.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 2nd March 2021 at 02:22 PM.

Automated Home Guru

Hmmm, Munin sounds much better than Domoticz BUT I don't speak Linux, have never looked at Python and already have enough things on the todo list to fill my days until the end of time.

It's slightly surprising that Honeywell don't differentiate themselves by offering a logging and analysis option, but the Evohome product manager seems to lack an innovative spark so maybe it's not that surprising. What's more surprising is that some entrepreneurial soul (without an over-full todo list) hasn't filled the vacuum by offering a package that provides the function and which is extensible to work with the other smart heating systems - if successful they might then be bought-out by ... Honeywell! If only my todo list had space

Automated Home Sr Member

https://www.home-assistant.io/

https://community.home-assistant.io/...erm/151584/811

The integration is a WIP - but HA is a very polished product.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by zxdavb View Post
    https://www.home-assistant.io/

https://community.home-assistant.io/...erm/151584/811

The integration is a WIP - but HA is a very polished product.
    There’s also a standard integration that provides the data through the V1 API. There are InfluxDB and Grafana add ons to Home Assistant that allow for pretty simple graphing.

Automated Home Legend

That reminds me, I really must look at home assistant...

Automated Home Sr Member

The Official integration uses *both* RESTful (web-based) APIs (I know, I wrote it ) - the newer API for the best functionality, the older API provides high-precision temperatures (0.01) for zones.

The WIP integration uses an RF dongle (about £25) to eavesdrop the RAMSES-II protocol and provide more functionality, and removing the needs to have a TCC account (although it is still a WIP in progress).

Home Assistant is very polished & talks to everything.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by zxdavb View Post
    The Official integration uses *both* RESTful (web-based) APIs (I know, I wrote it ) - the newer API for the best functionality, the older API provides high-precision temperatures (0.01) for zones.

The WIP integration uses an RF dongle (about £25) to eavesdrop the RAMSES-II protocol and provide more functionality, and removing the needs to have a TCC account (although it is still a WIP in progress).

Home Assistant is very polished & talks to everything.
    I'd guessed the temps came from V1 because of the improvement in accuracy since my move from SmartThings. Before I jump in and buy anything, would the dongle that Bruce is proposing here work with Home Assistant?

Automated Home Legend

The dongle referred to above is the NanoCUL. The new platform is basically an upgrade to the NanoCUL. Both will work with Home Assistant or any other platform that supports the HGI80, for that matter. Infact the NanoCUL and the new platform, use the same (similar) firmware. We started hitting the limits of what could be achieved by using a SW UART on the NanoCUL, and so had to move to a HW UART based platform.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by guyank View Post
    I'd guessed the temps came from V1 because of the improvement in accuracy since my move from SmartThings. Before I jump in and buy anything, would the dongle that Bruce is proposing here work with Home Assistant?
    Bruce is one of the experts on the hardware side - he is an authoritative source of information.

TL;DR: yes

Automated Home Guru

Default Domoticz on RPi refusing to connect

When I first got Domoticz running on an RPi I could connect to it but now I get "192.168.1.227 refused to connect." It's still alive because I can ping it. Any ideas?