Evohome and OpenTherm boiler recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

The DHW is set to ECO mode. I would understand it if it was set as you say.

Comment

• blowlamp
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
      The DHW is set to ECO mode. I would understand it if it was set as you say.
      My boiler is set to ECO mode too.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by blowlamp View Post
        My boiler is set to ECO mode too.
        It is of course possible that it is still in learning mode. I did not notice it as much early this morning before any heat or hot water was needed. I assume Evohome provides the time for the Eco function to work properly. What is odd is that if you switch the power off it looses the set time. Not helpful to those who rely on the programme in the boiler. No backup battery. Which reminds me I switched it off yesterday whilst I re-routed a cable and have forgotten to reset the time clock!

Comment

• kevinsmart
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Sep 2018

It is of course possible that it is still in learning mode. I did not notice it as much early this morning before any heat or hot water was needed. I assume Evohome provides the time for the Eco function to work properly. What is odd is that if you switch the power off it looses the set time. Not helpful to those who rely on the programme in the boiler. No backup battery. Which reminds me I switched it off yesterday whilst I re-routed a cable and have forgotten to reset the time clock!
          The boiler DHW operation is completely independent from Evohome, Evohome doesn’t provide the time. The Eco learning is supposed to be based on usage, so I guess it’s essential that the boiler’s time setting is consistent.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
            The boiler DHW operation is completely independent from Evohome, Evohome doesn’t provide the time. The Eco learning is supposed to be based on usage, so I guess it’s essential that the boiler’s time setting is consistent.
            But I have OpenTherm connected and the Manual says to use Eco mode with OpenTherm in order for OpenTherm to learn. I wonder if anybody has come up with an easy way t provide backup power to the clock on these boilers>?

Comment

• blowlamp
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Apr 2017

But I have OpenTherm connected and the Manual says to use Eco mode with OpenTherm in order for OpenTherm to learn. I wonder if anybody has come up with an easy way t provide backup power to the clock on these boilers>?
              In ECO mode my Intergas boiler simply keeps track of when DHW is required, so if the hot tap was run at about 8:00 am over the previous 2-3 days, the boiler would ensure pre-heated DHW is available today at a similar time. The boiler 'remembers' DHW usage thoughout the day in an effort to ensure heated water is available at the predicted times.

I think the ECO learning days can be set between something like 3-10. I haven't set the boiler's clock but the function still works OK for me.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Pleased to hear the boiler’s clock has no bearing on the mode setting presumably only if using an external system. If a user uses the programming within the boiler then a power cut and an unsuspecting user will have some issues. It could be me but I think bit by bit it is not starting up as frequently as it did. That is since I dropped the maximum power for central heating to just over 12kW.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2017

I'd suspect with a grant you'll be very limited to your choices, and the quality of work you will probably get @DBMandrake won't to be up the standard you expect. They'll throw the thing in. They'll probably make you go down the combi route, they'll not be interested in replacing the cylinder and boiler.

My best guess is they'll off you an Ideal Logic combi. Stay away from them at all costs.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                    I'd suspect with a grant you'll be very limited to your choices, and the quality of work you will probably get @DBMandrake won't to be up the standard you expect. They'll throw the thing in. They'll probably make you go down the combi route, they'll not be interested in replacing the cylinder and boiler.

My best guess is they'll off you an Ideal Logic combi. Stay away from them at all costs.
                    I tend to agree. But if they limit your choices to a cheap boiler and basic installer then perhaps they may agree to pay you the cost of those quotes and you can top it up to something more suitable.

Comment

• guyank
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
                      My Eco RF 36 doesn't have a clock but has Eco mode and I assumed that it goes by relative time rather than an absolute reading.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post

The thread is moot now anyway. The guy came out to do the site survey and asked a few basic questions and quickly discovered that were weren't in fact eligible for the grant and was on his way. Seems like the people on the phone screwed up the over the phone questionnaire that figures out if we were eligible! So a big waste of our time, apart from the fact that the house is now very tidy.

I'll keep people's suggestions in mind though, I might see if we can finance a new boiler (and radiators, and pipes, since most are on 8mm microbore at the moment) ourselves next year, but if I do that I definitely want OpenTherm.

To be honest for the small amount of hot water we normally use (shower, dishwasher and washing machine are all electric heating) having a cylinder hot all day long is a liability, and it's too small to run a decent bath, so I'd rather have a combi in this house and get rid of the cylinder, cisterns in the loft etc... there just isn't room in the boiler cupboard for a larger fancy un-vented hot water cylinder. I also want to get rid of Evohome control of the hot water as it's just too unreliable for that...
                        Last edited by DBMandrake; 9 March 2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post

I'll keep people's suggestions in mind though, I might see if we can finance a new boiler (and radiators, and pipes, since most are on 8mm microbore at the moment) ourselves next year, but if I do that I definitely want OpenTherm.
                          I decided to keep my radiators when a new boiler went in 4 weeks ago as calculations showed all but two rooms were correctly rated. I was also advised by a couple of installers not to change the radiators but see what happens. I am also "on" 8mm microbore. No problems so far. It all heats up well. I think OpenTherm is still on a learning curve. In my case no issues pairing it to the Control Panel and wiring it to the boiler as it has 24volt connection points for the OpenTherm Bridge.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

OT learning is overrated. Don't expect it to change behaviour over time.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

I decided to keep my radiators when a new boiler went in 4 weeks ago as calculations showed all but two rooms were correctly rated. I was also advised by a couple of installers not to change the radiators but see what happens. I am also "on" 8mm microbore. No problems so far. It all heats up well. I think OpenTherm is still on a learning curve. In my case no issues pairing it to the Control Panel and wiring it to the boiler as it has 24volt connection points for the OpenTherm Bridge.
                              We have two one year old radiators in the dining room that I installed when the room was renovated, a 4 year old radiator in the bathroom that I installed (which is already going rusty at the bottom ) and the rest of the radiators in the house are all 20+ years old, silted in the bottom (top warms up before the bottom) and most of those are not even convectors. Some are pretty rusty around the inlets.

So apart from the dining room all the radiators in the house need replacing. There is enough silt in the radiators despite multiple attempts to flush the entire system that it would likely silt up a new boiler heat exchanger! Also the current hodge podge of piping through the house is unlikely to survive the change to a pressurised system without some remedial work...

Comment

• G4RHL
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jan 2015

Pleased to hear the boiler’s clock has no bearing on the mode setting presumably only if using an external system. If a user uses the programming within the boiler then a power cut and an unsuspecting user will have some issues. It could be me but I think bit by bit it is not starting up as frequently as it did. That is since I dropped the maximum power for central heating to just over 12kW.
                                I am replying to my own post to say that I switched off ECO mode, just left that parameter as off. The early hours starting up was definitely ECO as it stopped doing it. I:notice little difference in the time it takes for hot water to appear out of the tap.

Comment

Working...
                                X