For radiant floor heating, stand-alone device with remote...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stabmaster
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2006

For radiant floor heating, stand-alone device with remote...

Hello. I'm sort-of lost, but I hope that I can find a little nudge in the right direction here.

I have been given the task to design a system which will control 9 zones of heating (radiant floor). The zone valves are controlled by 24v 2 wire actuators. I am not looking for logistical help with the radiant floor part; only the "human interface."

Basically, what I'm looking for is a fail-safe, professional, stand alone unit which can be controlled and monitored using a "remote control" or by telephone, or internet. Also, controlled by a touch-screen monitor.

I have learned, from doing security systems in the past, that computer based systems are very flaky due to the nature of windows platforms and multi-tasking; therefore, I believe that a good stand alone unit is preferable.

Where should I start looking for this equipment? I keep finding equipment that I believe is a little too "hobbyist" and not professional enough; although, it is important to make the customer a simple user interface which is easy to control.

Please advise! Thanks!
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: For radiant floor heating, stand-alone device with remot

I can definately recommend using a HomeVision Controller. It comes in two versions, normal and Pro. The main difference really apart from price is that the Pro version has more interface options already included. The Pro version can except 1 wire temp sensors. Check out www.csi3.com for more details.
    As for touchscreens you can use the CorAccess companion touch screen. www.coraccess.com
    Also the HomeVision controller has a Composite video output. So you can display custom menus etc on your TV and using a universal remote you can control the controller.
    As for internet connection, I've just bought an IP Power9212 Network controller. This has 8 inputs and 8 outputs. The idea is to connect these to the HomeVision and then into my router. That way I will have internet access to my HomeVision without the use of a PC.
    I got the IP Network controller on ebay from this shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIGIDAVES-DIGITAL-MEDIA-STORE
    I agree about not relying on a PC based system. My PC based system would crash once every 7 to 10 days. Thats why I switched to HomeVision.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• stabmaster
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2006

Thank you so much for the reply.

I'm working my way through the reading material right now.

I've been happy with using GE Interlogix for security, so I'm wondering if there are any big name manufacturers who have products which will fit my requirements.

The Homevision looks like it will fit nicely with my needs, but I have second thoughts when it comes to the type of support I would get, seeing how their own website is obviously second rate.

On the CorAccess site, it mentions the "Best of Breed" manufacturers to be "GE, Speakercraft, Lutron, HAI." Can you or anyone reccomend any of these MFR's to me?

Thanks for the help! I hope to be able to pick up a line to use for designing energy-smart homes for the future. My father is starting a new business which is a knock off of his old solar business- this one is to be more research-and-development centric. I'm supposed to design and install a smart home for heating in South Africa. Apparently money is not a problem for him, if you know what I mean ($$$).

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The support from HomeVision is excellent. Far better than some of the bigger manufacturers, I've had to deal with. There is also quite a good forum. The format is a bit basic, but it works.
        The forum address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homevision-users/
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X