Thread: EVOHome Build

Automated Home Jr Member

Question EVOHome Build

Good Morning,

I Installed EVoHome a few years ago now and i have a very basic install - BRD91 on the Combi Boiler for heating control, HR92 on all rads and a EVOHome wifi base
    The hot water has no timer at all and is just always on - unless I manually switch it off on the boiler

Now my old man is wanting to use install EVOHome in his house - But its a little more complex than what i have - So i'm looking for some advice.

He has a Worchester 18hxi High Efficiency Condensing Boiler
    8 Rads
    Looks like 2 External Valves for directing heat to the Heating or the Hot Water Cylinder

My Guess (from a little googling) is this is an S-Plan Setup
    Is this easy for Setup?
    Other than a handful of HR92s, and EVOHome Controller, a Hot Water Kit
    How Many BRDs would i Need? One for the boiler, One for Each Valve? Will i need new valves or can i use whats there?

Excuse the complete lack of Knowledge but i'll do my best to pick up all the possible issues before rushing in and buying.

Thank in Advance
    Ewan

Automated Home Legend

One for the central heating and one for the domestic hot water. That for the domestic hot water needs a sensor installing to monitor the temperatures of the hot water. Either one that is strapped on to the surface of the tank or it is inserted inside. That feeds its info to a small nearby box which talks to the BDR91 dedicated to hot water. This kit comes, or used to, as a package - BDR91, sensor etc.

Some have had issues adding domestic hot water after setting up Evohome central heating. I did years ago. The correct route once all is wired up is pair and install domestic hot water in the control panel first and then configure the central heating as required. It is the route advised in the manual but its importance could be clearer than it is.

Automated Home Jr Member

My plan is to buy from EVOHome shop so have there backup ... i'd just like to get this right before going jumping in

My System was simple this is proving a little more complex - and my understanding of how this works is very (VERY) basic!
    So apologies if i'm asking daft questions!

So if there is a BDR on each valve - Basically controlling the direction of the flow of water between either CH or HW - Is there a third switching the boiler?

Edit - Im guessing the Boiler demand is done through a seperate set of contacts on the Valve Solenoid
    Last edited by Fletch79; 27th March 2021 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Info Update

Automated Home Legend

I cannot advise on a two valve system but imagine that they must work together as and when hot water is needed. My system had a three way valve. But you should only need two BRD91s one will operate the central heating telling the boiler when to fire up, the other domestic hot water. I don’t have a hot water tank now, my boiler being replaced with a combi a few weeks back, but the old system all operated through the relevant BDR activating the opening and closing of the valve which then made the connection for the boiler. The hot water BDR opened and closed the relevant port on the the three way valve when domestic hot water was needed.

Yes, if so am allowed to say it, use The Evohome Shop. Richard and he is Team are very helpful. Great service. Indeed as also is the case for their sister shop - The Intergas Shop.