• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Outside temperature

I am sure this question may have been posted somewhere in the forum already.

If I select the option for the outside temperature to be taken account of in the Control Panel does it do no more than bring the heating on earlier if it thinks it is below a certain level? That then sounds like optimisation. Once the day has started and the heating has been fired up surely the rooms will be kept to their set level no matter what the outside temperature?

I have kept checking what the app thinks the outside temperature is and what it actually is and always about the same. Both show 2c as I type this.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Outside Temperature weather compensation affects the Set Point and not the start time. Start Time is driven by Optimisation.
    Note, I only mentioned Start Up, because in Shut down both are used in conjunction to determine if heat to a zone can be shut off earlier that the schedule.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
      Outside Temperature weather compensation affects the Set Point and not the start time. Start Time is driven by Optimisation.
      Note, I only mentioned Start Up, because in Shut down both are used in conjunction to determine if heat to a zone can be shut off earlier that the schedule.
      Does not that mean that if at or near to the set point the system thinks the outside temperature is too low then it switches on sooner to allow for an assumed greater time to warm up. That is surely the same as optimisation? Unless there are complicated algorithms that take account of outside temperature, desired temperature and how long it normally takes to attain the desired temperature and adjusts accordingly. Clever though that may be it is still optimisation. It is optimising the system relevant to prevailing conditions.

Comment

• killa47
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jan 2016

The above comments are pretty much the reason I asked users (18th March) for recommendations running the new firmware - because the new functions surely improve on optimisation performance.
        But what if you're not running with optimisation - do you have to change time values? Or should system be switched to optimised running?

Comment

• anniesboy
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2019

I have optimisation and cold weather boost. My house is part 100 years old,with solid walls and single glazing together with suspended flooring,the other half was added fifty years ago that has double glazing and cavity wall insulation.
          I have cold weather boost operating on part of the old part of the house which is set to operate by increasing the set temperature by 1.5c when the outside temperature falls below zero,the temperature increase ensures room temperatures are more comfortable, i assume because the heat loss on cold days so great.

Comment

• killa47
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by anniesboy View Post
            I have optimisation and cold weather boost. My house is part 100 years old,with solid walls and single glazing together with suspended flooring,the other half was added fifty years ago that has double glazing and cavity wall insulation.
            I have cold weather boost operating on part of the old part of the house which is set to operate by increasing the set temperature by 1.5c when the outside temperature falls below zero,the temperature increase ensures room temperatures are more comfortable, i assume because the heat loss on cold days so great.
            Appreciate the very useful information.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

But if say the set temperature is 21c the boiler and system will maintain that no matter what the outside temper is? It will just fire up more, but then it would anyway.

Comment

• anniesboy
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Aug 2019

I set my as I did following this as posted earlier https://gifyu.com/image/jH4r

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

I set my as I did following this as posted earlier https://gifyu.com/image/jH4r
                  Not easy to see/read that image but what it says seems to support my point. 21C is 21c whether the outside temperature is -5C or +15c. What may make the same 21c feel differently is humidity. But none of these devices take that into account. What am I missing? Or is it a myth to sell a product?

Comment

• anniesboy
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Aug 2019

Easier to read,if you hover pointer over image and magnify. Whatever the "science" behind it,it works in my situation.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

I do each morning check to see what the Control Panel thinks the outside temperature is and what it actually is. I thought before, that whilst the two were not always the same it was close. However, over time the disparity is such that I don’t think it can be relied on. Often it can be as much 1.5C which could have your heating coming on or not when it shouldn’t. I will not therefore be using the setting for outside temperature in the Panel. I won’t bother with an outside sensor either as for reasons already expounded in other postings I cannot see the point.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Only 1.5C error? Try 4-5 degrees for me. (At times when the temperature is rapidly increasing or decreasing - eg morning and evening with clear skies)

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                          Only 1.5C error? Try 4-5 degrees for me. (At times when the temperature is rapidly increasing or decreasing - eg morning and evening with clear skies)
                          It seems to me Honeywell ought to remove the feature on the next software update (? 10 years’ time) for it can cause users to spend more in fuel than they need to. I believe such an extra cost would need to be born by Honeywell as there is no warning this may happen.

Comment

• RedEarth
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Jan 2021

A few weeks ago most of my zones went into warm weather saver mode because it thought it was about 17 or 18 degrees outside when in fact it was quite a bit less than 10 so in this case I probably saved a few pennies.
                            I just woke up feeling cold

Comment

• CT1
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                              It seems to me Honeywell ought to remove the feature on the next software update (? 10 years’ time) for it can cause users to spend more in fuel than they need to. I believe such an extra cost would need to be born by Honeywell as there is no warning this may happen.
                              Can you not just turn the feature off?

I have not requested the new firmware yet as I did not need or want most of the new features, but I would like to have the new economy mode settings but would not want to be forced to use weather compensation and load scalling.

Comment

Working...
                              X