Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outside temperature

Automated Home Legend

I do each morning check to see what the Control Panel thinks the outside temperature is and what it actually is. I thought before, that whilst the two were not always the same it was close. However, over time the disparity is such that I don’t think it can be relied on. Often it can be as much 1.5C which could have your heating coming on or not when it shouldn’t. I will not therefore be using the setting for outside temperature in the Panel. I won’t bother with an outside sensor either as for reasons already expounded in other postings I cannot see the point.

Automated Home Legend

Only 1.5C error? Try 4-5 degrees for me. (At times when the temperature is rapidly increasing or decreasing - eg morning and evening with clear skies)

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Only 1.5C error? Try 4-5 degrees for me. (At times when the temperature is rapidly increasing or decreasing - eg morning and evening with clear skies)
    It seems to me Honeywell ought to remove the feature on the next software update (? 10 years’ time) for it can cause users to spend more in fuel than they need to. I believe such an extra cost would need to be born by Honeywell as there is no warning this may happen.

Automated Home Jr Member

A few weeks ago most of my zones went into warm weather saver mode because it thought it was about 17 or 18 degrees outside when in fact it was quite a bit less than 10 so in this case I probably saved a few pennies.
    I just woke up feeling cold

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    It seems to me Honeywell ought to remove the feature on the next software update (? 10 years’ time) for it can cause users to spend more in fuel than they need to. I believe such an extra cost would need to be born by Honeywell as there is no warning this may happen.
    Can you not just turn the feature off?

I have not requested the new firmware yet as I did not need or want most of the new features, but I would like to have the new economy mode settings but would not want to be forced to use weather compensation and load scalling.

Automated Home Jr Member

The smart weather seems to work fine for me.
    If it is colder outside, the rooms I have it set up on will got to a higher temp to help compensate for the temp outside.
    When we had the warm spell, the smart weather rooms heating didn't come on untill later into the evening when the outside temp had dropped.
    The optimisation only lets the system have the option to start heating the room selected at an earlier start time so hopefully they will be at the required temp at the actual time you wanted the heating on.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Billywizzo View Post
    If it is colder outside, the rooms I have it set up on will got to a higher temp to help compensate for the temp outside.
    When we had the warm spell, the smart weather rooms heating didn't come on untill later into the evening when the outside temp had dropped.
    The optimisation only lets the system have the option to start heating the room selected at an earlier start time so hopefully they will be at the required temp at the actual time you wanted the heating on.
    I have never turned it on being dubious as to its value.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Billywizzo View Post
    Why would one want a room at a higher temperature because it is colder outside? Surely if you have a room set at say 20c or 21c and that is what you are comfortable with you don’t need to have the room at a higher temperature because you heating will heat to the temperature you have programmed and are comfortable with. In extreme conditions the outside temperature, if the option is set, may bring the heating on a little sooner but turning it up seems an odd thing for it to do if the outside temperature goes up then the heating will not come on anyway if the set temperature has been reached

Automated Home Jr Member

If the rooms are slightly draughty then this can more noticeable when the weather is very cold, so setting the temperature slightly higher can offset the effects of this and maintain the comfort level.

Automated Home Legend

You want the room warmer because your perception of warmth/comfort is different based on the outside temperature and hence heat loss. Which is why a 20C room feels warmer in the summer than in the winter.
    The Cold weather boost and Warm weather shut down are actually pretty cool features. Especially since you can apply that to zones of choice. Bring back per zone optimisation and that too will become a useful feature LIKE IT WAS.
    However currently the smart weather features are being let down by the poor choice of using Internet temperature readings, rather than a local sensor.