Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outside temperature

Automated Home Legend

Default Outside temperature

I am sure this question may have been posted somewhere in the forum already.

If I select the option for the outside temperature to be taken account of in the Control Panel does it do no more than bring the heating on earlier if it thinks it is below a certain level? That then sounds like optimisation. Once the day has started and the heating has been fired up surely the rooms will be kept to their set level no matter what the outside temperature?

I have kept checking what the app thinks the outside temperature is and what it actually is and always about the same. Both show 2c as I type this.

Automated Home Legend

Outside Temperature weather compensation affects the Set Point and not the start time. Start Time is driven by Optimisation.
    Note, I only mentioned Start Up, because in Shut down both are used in conjunction to determine if heat to a zone can be shut off earlier that the schedule.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Outside Temperature weather compensation affects the Set Point and not the start time. Start Time is driven by Optimisation.
    Note, I only mentioned Start Up, because in Shut down both are used in conjunction to determine if heat to a zone can be shut off earlier that the schedule.
    Does not that mean that if at or near to the set point the system thinks the outside temperature is too low then it switches on sooner to allow for an assumed greater time to warm up. That is surely the same as optimisation? Unless there are complicated algorithms that take account of outside temperature, desired temperature and how long it normally takes to attain the desired temperature and adjusts accordingly. Clever though that may be it is still optimisation. It is optimising the system relevant to prevailing conditions.

Automated Home Guru

The above comments are pretty much the reason I asked users (18th March) for recommendations running the new firmware - because the new functions surely improve on optimisation performance.
    But what if you're not running with optimisation - do you have to change time values? Or should system be switched to optimised running?

Automated Home Sr Member

I have optimisation and cold weather boost. My house is part 100 years old,with solid walls and single glazing together with suspended flooring,the other half was added fifty years ago that has double glazing and cavity wall insulation.
    I have cold weather boost operating on part of the old part of the house which is set to operate by increasing the set temperature by 1.5c when the outside temperature falls below zero,the temperature increase ensures room temperatures are more comfortable, i assume because the heat loss on cold days so great.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by anniesboy View Post
    I have optimisation and cold weather boost. My house is part 100 years old,with solid walls and single glazing together with suspended flooring,the other half was added fifty years ago that has double glazing and cavity wall insulation.
    I have cold weather boost operating on part of the old part of the house which is set to operate by increasing the set temperature by 1.5c when the outside temperature falls below zero,the temperature increase ensures room temperatures are more comfortable, i assume because the heat loss on cold days so great.
    Appreciate the very useful information.

Automated Home Legend

But if say the set temperature is 21c the boiler and system will maintain that no matter what the outside temper is? It will just fire up more, but then it would anyway.

Automated Home Sr Member

I set my as I did following this as posted earlier https://gifyu.com/image/jH4r

Automated Home Legend

I set my as I did following this as posted earlier https://gifyu.com/image/jH4r
    Not easy to see/read that image but what it says seems to support my point. 21C is 21c whether the outside temperature is -5C or +15c. What may make the same 21c feel differently is humidity. But none of these devices take that into account. What am I missing? Or is it a myth to sell a product?

Automated Home Sr Member

Easier to read,if you hover pointer over image and magnify. Whatever the "science" behind it,it works in my situation.